questions about taking care of my headphones
Jan 22, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, i was hoping if i put them on the box over night for 1 night then they would get less tight which would make the ear pads last longer and then i could just keep them on my stand. 

You basically kind of simulated wearing them tight overnight. It didn't relax the headband, you just softened the earpads through an extended compression period. In other words, you've accelerated wear, if at least to the "break-in" point, though not necessarily into the "worn out" point.

If you don't use them long enough they'll relax back to their original thickness, but they'll still be that soft; as opposed to relaxing the headband first, which will make thick, stiff earpads feel as light as they can get. Actually depending on how much you relax the headband it won't matter how soft or stiff the earpads are since they'll barely clamp there, but have friction better distributed throughout the headband and earpads.

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #17 of 21

You basically kind of simulated wearing them tight overnight. It didn't relax the headband, you just softened the earpads through an extended compression period. In other words, you've accelerated wear, if at least to the "break-in" point, though not necessarily into the "worn out" point.

If you don't use them long enough they'll relax back to their original thickness, but they'll still be that soft; as opposed to relaxing the headband first, which will make thick, stiff earpads feel as light as they can get. Actually depending on how much you relax the headband it won't matter how soft or stiff the earpads are since they'll barely clamp there, but have friction better distributed throughout the headband and earpads.

oh right on i didnt know that wasnt good to do, i was just following this guide 

http://lifehacker.com/5886125/make-your-tight-brain-squeezing-headphones-more-comfortable-with-these-diy-tricks

but they seem ok now and if they get tight again ill just stretch em from the sides like you recommended. 

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #19 of 21

Well it wasn't necessarily bad, just that if your goal in the first place was to retard the wear rate on them, what you did was the exact opposite, although not far enough anyway.

right on i see, i finally got my 650s comfortable, i spent like all day yesterday seeing at how many clicks they feel comfortable, and i do like 6 clicks from the bottom on both sides and when they felt like the clamp was too tight i just stretched it open with my hands and today they feel soooo comfortable <3 love when i find that perfect setting for headphones.

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #20 of 21
Rather than create a whole new topic I thought I'd just hijack this one as I also have a question about taking care of my headphones. My question is pretty simple, I notice the phone jack on my phones is getting a bit tarnished looking and possibly a little dirty. What would you recommend cleaning the jack with. I was thinking of maybe getting some WD40 and spraying it with that and then wiping as much of it off as I can, maybe doing it twice. Any other thoughts?

Jan 23, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #21 of 21
  Rather than create a whole new topic I thought I'd just hijack this one as I also have a question about taking care of my headphones. My question is pretty simple, I notice the phone jack on my phones is getting a bit tarnished looking and possibly a little dirty. What would you recommend cleaning the jack with. I was thinking of maybe getting some WD40 and spraying it with that and then wiping as much of it off as I can, maybe doing it twice. Any other thoughts?

i don't think wd40 would be a good idea, for something like this i would use invisible glass (yes its a glass cleaner but works for so many awesome things) spray some then get it nice and dry with a microfiber towel and let it dry over night for good measure. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back