Questions about RSA Predator Portable Amp
Mar 14, 2008 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Tiyako

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,
i'm a new to the audio world, and i'm new to the forum.
biggrin.gif

I'm currently planning to get a RSA Predator, but i have a few questions.
1) What does the "Gain" control do to the Amp? Like what exactly does it do?
2) I'll be using IAudio Cowon D2 with The Predator, but the thing is that i do not know what i can use to hold them both together.....perhaps a rubber band? any suggestions?
Thank You Very Much,
Tiyako
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 9
1.Basically in "layman's" terms, higher gain equates to higher volume. Usually harder to drive cans require higher gain to provide enough volume. This is just in simple terms.

2. Try on of those "livestrong" armbands or velcro, those seem to be the most common options.

Mar 14, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 9
The gain switch basically just gives you more volume options for lesser or more demanding headphones. For instance, I use the low gain for my IEMs and the high gain for my HD650's. What you want to do is start at low gain, and if you can turn the volume knob up all the way and still want more volume, turn it back down to zero, flip the switch to medium gain, and repeat.

I don't think the D2 has a proper line out connection... but the headphone outputs on Cowon mp3 players are pretty good and are quite ampable. I use the X5L and find that it does amp pretty well. I think you'd still have better luck with a proper line out, though.

As for attaching them, some use rubber bands or those elastic bracelets... some use velcro. It's sort of a personal preference thing how you lug your portable rig.

Good luck!

Apr 13, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For owners of Preds

Does yours emit a slight hiss when changing volume?

Not that I've ever noticed. And I don't recall that from my Hornet. But that may be simply because I rarely change volume in the absence of a signal.

Apr 13, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 9
No, but if there is a slight static when changing the volume this has no effect on the sound once you have the volume where you want it.

Apr 15, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #9 of 9
Some amps may do that with the volume being changed, due to the feedback control in the amp, but it is only temporary while the volume is being changed. I haven't really noticed my Predator do that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back