Questions about Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XX headphones setup
Jul 5, 2017 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

James Pena

New Head-Fier
How do the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XXs sound compared to the Audio Technica ATH-M50s? I own a pair of M50s and just recently purchased a pair of 6XX. The M50s are my first "high quality" pair of headphones. Before I purchased these headphones, I used cheap earbuds ranging from $10 to $50. I consider my M50s "high quality" compared to the earbuds because the sound quality is a little bit better, they are more comfortable, and the build quality is exceptionally better. Every pair of earbuds I've ever owned have only lasted me a few months before breaking. However, I purchased my M50s 3 1/2 years ago and they are still like new. The ear pads are a little worn out but everything else is in mint condition. As for the sound quality, after all the reviews I've read, I expected better. The sound quality is great but not enough to wow me. As for comfort, that is a completely different experience between in-ear and over-ear headphones. However, I will admit that the M50s are more comfortable than some of the earbuds I've owned. Now I've read from many sources that the 6XX or 650s are the best headphones to buy for less than $1000. At that price point, I expect world-class quality. I was thinking of pairing my 6XX with the Schiit Jotunheim amp/DAC. Is it worth it for me to spend $500 on this amp or can I get the same sound quality or better from a budget amp? Also, should I get a tube amp or a solid state? Which amp would you recommend? I would like an amp/DAC that has a 1/4 inch single-ended input, a 4-pin XLR balanced input, is versatile with all headphones, and can connect to my laptop via USB. My budget is $500 or less. Portability is not necessary because I will be listening to my 6XX at home. Lastly, what genre of music are these headphones best for? I listen to mostly EDM, and a little bit of pop.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 38
The HD650/6xx definitely scale well with better gear, and I think the Jot is a good pick. Mine is in the mail for my 650's, I have the balanced cable coming in as well. From what I can tell, the Jot is comparable to the Magni 2/Modi 2 stack, it just has much more power and better I/O. You can always go the Schiit Stack to save some money, even though that setup would be single ended it still sounds great. As for tubes, the Valhalla 2 is apparently an amazing amp for the 600/650 so thats always a good option. And to wrap up, the 650 is good with every genre of music. Somewhat of a jack of all trades, master of none. Its world class because its so versatile and sounds great. While headphones are only good for one or two things like really nice highs, punchy bass, or smooth mids, the 600/650 are decent at everything.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 38
if you're coming from m50 I bet you gonna hear the different with 6xx with a good margin as long as it's amped well. Never heard the jot but had the bifrost + valhalla stack and love the combo but after I upgrade to balanced setup, the hd6xx is improves again by miles. You can always get a better sound for the 6xx/650 with a better amp. For balanced amp/dac with both balance and 1/4 inch under $500, not many I can suggest but there are Jot and m-stage hpa3b. There are several amp/dac that I thought work well with 650/6xx with that price range but not balanced though.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 38
if you're coming from m50 I bet you gonna hear the different with 6xx with a good margin as long as it's amped well. Never heard the jot but had the bifrost + valhalla stack and love the combo but after I upgrade to balanced setup, the hd6xx is improves again by miles. You can always get a better sound for the 6xx/650 with a better amp. For balanced amp/dac with both balance and 1/4 inch under $500, not many I can suggest but there are Jot and m-stage hpa3b. There are several amp/dac that I thought work well with 650/6xx with that price range but not balanced though.
Are there any amps above $500 with a balanced input that you recommend?

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 38
The best amp in my opinion for the 650's is the Bottlehead Crack.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 38
The HD650/6xx definitely scale well with better gear, and I think the Jot is a good pick. Mine is in the mail for my 650's, I have the balanced cable coming in as well. From what I can tell, the Jot is comparable to the Magni 2/Modi 2 stack, it just has much more power and better I/O. You can always go the Schiit Stack to save some money, even though that setup would be single ended it still sounds great. As for tubes, the Valhalla 2 is apparently an amazing amp for the 600/650 so thats always a good option. And to wrap up, the 650 is good with every genre of music. Somewhat of a jack of all trades, master of none. Its world class because its so versatile and sounds great. While headphones are only good for one or two things like really nice highs, punchy bass, or smooth mids, the 600/650 are decent at everything.
I've heard that you get better sound quality with tube amps, they are also much more fragile than solid state. Is this true? If this is the case, then I don't want to get a tube amp. I can be very carefull with it, it's just that there are certain people who live in my house and who visit me that I can't trust. I don't want to risk breaking the amp and then having to buy another one.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #8 of 38

+1

Are there any amps above $500 with a balanced input that you recommend?

I really love the liquid carbon but might need a dac with that.

I've heard that you get better sound quality with tube amps, they are also much more fragile than solid state. Is this true? If this is the case, then I don't want to get a tube amp. I can be very carefull with it, it's just that there are certain people who live in my house and who visit me that I can't trust. I don't want to risk breaking the amp and then having to buy another one.

Tube has a warm sound signature. I personally love it but the only thing about tube amp is the noise might cause an issue to some. Solid state is a safer option but tube sound is really addictive. I don't think fragile is really the issue because they just gonna sit in one place so I doubt that it's gonna be an issue.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 38
I wouldn't probably say that the HD650/6xx (I have both) are the best under-$1000 headphones. They are very good, though. Comparing an M50(x) (own it) to an HD650 is like comparing a lemon to a balttleship. They are just not in the same realm--they are totally different. The M50(x) is sharply v-shaped with sort of bloated bass and sat-upon mids. The 650 is warmish with nice bass extension and sort of somewhat rolled off-ish highs. Very detailed and an intimate soundstage, rather than the spacious stage of the HD598, say. Instrument separation is also way better on the 650 than it is on the M50(x). Those are a few thoughts on the two headphones.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 38
+1

I really love the liquid carbon but might need a dac with that.

Tube has a warm sound signature. I personally love it but the only thing about tube amp is the noise might cause an issue to some. Solid state is a safer option but tube sound is really addictive. I don't think fragile is really the issue because they just gonna sit in one place so I doubt that it's gonna be an issue.
Are there any audio equipment stores I can go to test out some amps/DACs? I want to test them out so that I know I'm getting my moneys worth.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #11 of 38
Then you need better friends. They are not that fragile unless you tend to pick them up at slam them down then yes they don't like that.

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #12 of 38
Then you need better friends. They are not that fragile unless you tend to pick them up at slam them down then yes they don't like that.
Lol It's actually not friends who visit me, it's family relatives. During the holidays, my cousins, who are children, come to my house to celebrate. They are loud, destructive, and really annoying. When they visit, I can't get them to stop bothering me and to stop messing with my stuff. Their parents don't do anything about it. I'm afraid that if they come over, they will see some shiny tubes and then they will do what you suggested can happen or they might grab something hard and throw it at the tubes. They may not pay attention to a solid state amp though because tubes are more noticeable.

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #13 of 38
Are there any audio equipment stores I can go to test out some amps/DACs? I want to test them out so that I know I'm getting my moneys worth.
Maybe try Audio Connection in Verona 973 239 1799 and I would at least call Lyric in Manhattan (outstanding audio store) 212 439 1900 and ask them. If they don't have much of an inventory, I would ask them whom they would refer you to in order to do some listening before you buy in the area. You may have to go into the city, just fyi--Hudson or Bergen County may not have what you are looking for.

Jul 6, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #15 of 38
Would you consider the Bottlehead Crack a versatile amp or does it only shine with 650s(6XX)? I would like one great amp that I can use for all headphones.
It likes high impedance cans the best. It doesn't do real well with low impedance planars. If yours are above say 150 ohm it will do great. But no I would not call it a versatile amp but it is one of the best for the 650(6xx's) and is also very good with my 800's and 700's and K240 sextetts. If you still want some tube goodness that will play well with all of yours I would look for a hybrid amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back