Questions about Inception
Dec 28, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #46 of 72
IMO, Inception can't be compared to Matrix.
Matrix had a very interesting basic storyline concept/idea, but in the following movies 2 & 3 the directors completely lost track of things and drifted of into something that for me no longer made sense.
Inception has a storyline which more or less remains stable to the end. Even if this is 1. Inception part, it will probably not drop to the level of Matrix 2 & 3.
As for Martix, I had to read the Wikipedia article 4 times to get a rough idea of the storyline.

Inception is (and hopefully never will) not about starlets walking around with Armani suits and LV handbags.
It's mainly about the mind-boggling story, which has a deep meaning.
If people like celebs walking around with Prada boots and their children wearing Bape crap, go somewhere else (Sex in the City). or watch some red carpet broadcast.
Matrix, for me, stuck at the confusing point, but Inception could make that step from confusing to making sense.
The more confusing a movie is, the more difficult it is to see the plot.
But if the director manages to do that properly, the more fascinating it is and the longer it lasts in the viewers mind (linked to the condition, that the viewer is willing to "cooperate". This can also be influenced by the director, on how he presents the characters/plot.

This is only my personal opinion. 
I don't want to declare war to anybody...
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #47 of 72
People attribute way too much 'genius'-factor to this movie.

All these questions people are asking aren't so difficult they are uber-hard to understand because the movie is so deep. No. They are either plot-holes or the movie just doesn't address them.

Inception isn't difficult to understand, at least not more so than ExistenZ for example. There are plot holes, sure, but it's not a perfect film. No reason to go look for deeper answers. They're non-existent.

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #48 of 72
Probably these plot-holes are left there on purpose.
It helps to keep it in the viewers memory.

But not all questions being asked are those sorts of plot-holes.

But u are right it is not perfect, but for me it is really, really good (at least the best i've watched until now).

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #49 of 72
To me it's just an action movie with the old dream within a dream concept, with a limbo/death aspect attached.

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #50 of 72

Quote:

All these questions people are asking aren't so difficult they are uber-hard to understand because the movie is so deep. No. They are either plot-holes or the movie just doesn't address them.

Inception isn't difficult to understand, at least not more so than ExistenZ for example. There are plot holes, sure, but it's not a perfect film. No reason to go look for deeper answers. They're non-existent.

Yes, but it is quite natural for humans to look for meaning, even where there is none.

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #51 of 72
It touches a human dream.
People dream of being able to do stuff, which in reality aren't possible.

It's fascination is based on the same concept as for example Harry Potter.
Flying around, making enemies vomit slugs, etc. that's stuff people dream about (as children or in general)
That's what makes those movies so interesting.

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #53 of 72

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, but it is quite natural for humans to look for meaning, even where there is none.

Right.

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #54 of 72
If you have ever had a dream with in a dream then the movie holds a special intrigue. I thought that the plot and concept was easy to understand. There may be no more deeper meaning than the movie itself is entertainment and has an imaginary plot which seems almost plausible. HAHA

The Matrix has been taken apart and thought to mean all kinds of crazy things with many parallels to life. Funny how people do now with movies what they used to do and still do with paintings! I agree  with way to much of a genius factor being attributed to the movie. It is what you go to the movies for, an escape. The plot was too much for some people to follow, that same speed made the movie rock for others. I thought the movie had a great style to it and the acting was great. It reminded me of the human need to create an ideal world in the face of a much different reality.

Dec 30, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #55 of 72
I think it is Nolan himself who makes the movies so great.
My favourite movie together with Inception is Dark Knight.

Dark Knight is also confusing, but after 3 times of watching, it becomes brilliant somehow.

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #56 of 72
You should go watch some David Lynch films. I'd recommend Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway. 

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #57 of 72

Quote:
If you have ever had a dream with in a dream then the movie holds a special intrigue.

Funny you should mention that...

After watching Inception, and the bonus dream documentary on the DVD, I thought I'd give lucid dreaming a try. Of course, it didn't work as these things supposedly take years of practice. However, there was one time where I thought I was aware of my dream state... but every time I tried to make a change (try to fly, try to change the environment, etc) I would wake up. Then I would go back to sleep and try again -- and again I would wake up after becoming aware and trying to change things. In the end, I woke up...... and woke up.

So... I dreamt that I was trying to go to sleep and lucid-dream. That was weird...

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #59 of 72
^^ Is that what it's called? I've done that quite a few times, though I am incredibly dissociated from reality. 

Dec 30, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #60 of 72

Quote:
Funny you should mention that...

After watching Inception, and the bonus dream documentary on the DVD, I thought I'd give lucid dreaming a try. Of course, it didn't work as these things supposedly take years of practice. However, there was one time where I thought I was aware of my dream state... but every time I tried to make a change (try to fly, try to change the environment, etc) I would wake up. Then I would go back to sleep and try again -- and again I would wake up after becoming aware and trying to change things. In the end, I woke up...... and woke up.

So... I dreamt that I was trying to go to sleep and lucid-dream. That was weird...

Ugh, all this talk of lucid dreaming just makes me think of Waking Life *self-gag smiley*. Did you turn on a lightswitch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back