Questions about Bottlehead Crack for HD650
May 10, 2014 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dead99

100+ Head-Fier
When the question came which amp I needed for my hd 650 everyone said that the Crack with Speedball upgrade was the best but first i got some questions.

1. I read that it's a warm sounding amp, but so is the Sennheiser, isn't that going to be to much?
2. I'm willing to spend up to 800 euro (1000$) for an amp, is it than still the best choice? (I was thinking about a Violectric V200, or Schiit Mjolnir or if
its an tube amp a Woo-Audio WA6)
3. I don't have enough money to buy a new amp every time i buy a new pair of headphones, will this also sound well with other headphones?
4. how about tube rolling?
5. Will I also need a DAC that suites this amp?

P.S. Sorry for the whining :D

May 10, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #2 of 5
1. I read that it's a warm sounding amp, but so is the Sennheiser, isn't that going to be to much?

It's not necessarily a warm amp unless you roll tubes that way. It can be very linear and detailed if you want.
2. I'm willing to spend up to 800 euro (1000$) for an amp, is it than still the best choice? (I was thinking about a Violectric V200, or Schiit Mjolnir or if its a tube amp a Woo-Audio WA6)
Crack w/Speedball is endgame with the HD650s for many head-fiers. I chose it over the WA2 (though I do miss the WA2s looks)
3. I don't have enough money to buy a new amp every time i buy a new pair of headphones, will this also sound well with other headphones?
Its an OTL so it will sound good with high impedance Senns and Beyers. Look elsewhere for low impedance cans.
4. how about tube rolling?
Plenty of options to keep you busy. Tube Rolling w/Crack
5. Will I also need a DAC that suites this amp?
HD650s are not the most detailed cans so getting the perfect DAC isn't as crucial as the brutally revealing HD800s. Your ODAC will be fine.

May 11, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 5
And is it possible to upgrade it? and if so, how?
Edit: What does OTL mean?

There you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Output_transformerless

And yes, you can definitely upgrade the Cracks because they are DIY projects. Look for the Crack thread and you can find everything.

May 11, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 5
X1k to all of the above replies. You will NOT be disappointed with a Speedballed Crack & HD650 combined with just about any DAC. They are a match made in heaven. As stated previously, you can tube roll to your preferences. As far as modding, the sky is the limit with this amp; caps, pots, etc. If for some crazy reason you don't like it, the resale is solid on these amps so the risk is minimal...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back