Question...
May 2, 2012 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sennheiserhd485

100+ Head-Fier
I know that I will be criticized for asking this question...but I am going to ask it anyway. I have a little OCD and it's been on my mind lately. I have the Grado SR-60i and I had read somewhere that you could change the sound by placing your hands over the earcups while the music is playing. I did this...and it sounded worse...but then I got to thinking that I may have damaged my headphones by doing this. Can the drivers be damaged by trapping the sound waves and allowing them to bounce against the driver?

May 2, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
I know that I will be criticized for asking this question...but I am going to ask it anyway. I have a little OCD and it's been on my mind lately. I have the Grado SR-60i and I had read somewhere that you could change the sound by placing your hands over the earcups while the music is playing. I did this...and it sounded worse...but then I got to thinking that I may have damaged my headphones by doing this. Can the drivers be damaged by trapping the sound waves and allowing them to bounce against the driver?

No, impossible, or closed headphones would be hard to explain.

May 2, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 7
I remember blocking the ends of the grado's I had with my hands. I'd say you'd damage your ears before you damage the drivers, the sound was unbearable.

May 2, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 7
I agree. I've been thinking about upgrading soon. I love the Grado sound! On the other hand, I think that Stax would float my boat too.

May 2, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
SR-60i to a Stax.  That's a remarkable upgrade.

I would get the cheapest Stax, of course.

I'm tired of taking small steps up the chain. I want the best now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back