[QUESTION] Should I get an Amplifier? - Gaming Purposes, for competitive ( and immersion if possible)
Jan 9, 2015 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

BifePlays

New Head-Fier
Hello gaming fellas!

I've been playing a lot of shooter games with my  SBZ and AKG K712 Pro duo, and I've been wondering if I can do something to improve my audio experience while playing.

The first  thing that came in mind was: Should I get an amplifier?
The AKG K712 Pro have a 62 Ohms impedance, while the SBZ's site says that it's output impedance is rated art 600 Ohms. I'm not sure if that is correct, as I've seen that the 600 Ohms output impedance  is wrong...
So what should I do? Buy it or not? And if yes, which one should I get if I want to buy the cheapest one but with good quality?

Thanks to all!

Bife~

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #3 of 18
Buy an amp. The K712 will benefit from it as it is a pretty power-hungry can. Something like the FiiO E10K (or, better yet, the Schiit Fulla) will work. Although take note that using either of those amps will not use the output on your SBX, rendering them unused. Consider that before you purchase either amp.

Also, what is your budget, specifically? 

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 18
  Buy an amp. The K712 will benefit from it as it is a pretty power-hungry can. Something like the FiiO E10K (or, better yet, the Schiit Fulla) will work. Although take note that using either of those amps will not use the output on your SBX, rendering them unused. Consider that before you purchase either amp.

Also, what is your budget, specifically? 

My budget is around 100$, and I would also like to have me SBX used... Do all amps won't use the SBX? Because thr SBX rescources are really useful...

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #5 of 18
  My budget is around 100$, and I would also like to have me SBX used... Do all amps won't use the SBX? Because thr SBX rescources are really useful...

When I look back at the post you quoted, I think I will have to restate. Both the FiiO E10K and the Schiit Fulla are DAC/Amps, which is why they will bypass your SBZ. But amps don't have DACs, so if you use just an amp (i.e. Schiit Magni), then no, your SBZ won't be bypassed.

So yeah, just get an amp like the Magni 2 (it's newer and has more power), which should power your K712 to its full potential, and any of your future headphone purchases. Since you're buying an amp, the SBZ's amp section is not used, so you don't have to worry about its "rated impedance" or any of that mumbo-jumbo. Also, no, you probably won't need to get an SBX since the SBZ's DAC section is pretty good on its own, so your best course of action is just pour your money into a good amp. The Magni 2 is about $150 IIRC, and they will serve you and your K712 well.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 18
  When I look back at the post you quoted, I think I will have to restate. Both the FiiO E10K and the Schiit Fulla are DAC/Amps, which is why they will bypass your SBZ. But amps don't have DACs, so if you use just an amp (i.e. Schiit Magni), then no, your SBZ won't be bypassed.

So yeah, just get an amp like the Magni 2 (it's newer and has more power), which should power your K712 to its full potential, and any of your future headphone purchases. Since you're buying an amp, the SBZ's amp section is not used, so you don't have to worry about its "rated impedance" or any of that mumbo-jumbo. Also, no, you probably won't need to get an SBX since the SBZ's DAC section is pretty good on its own, so your best course of action is just pour your money into a good amp. The Magni 2 is about $150 IIRC, and they will serve you and your K712 well.

Sweet! Thanks for the great advise!

Just one question: Which cables should I buy to have them working together? 

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 18
  Quick Bump? I need to know what cables i will need to connect the Magni with the SBZ :/

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. The cable you're going to use will vary, but know that the Magni (you might want to get the newer, better Magni 2 if I were you) will only accept an RCA input, so you'll need something that has RCA. You can go with a 3.5mm to RCA, male-to-male cable for starters, although since your SBZ apparently has an optical cable, I'd probably go for optical to RCA if possible.

Hope this helps.

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 18
  Oh yeah, I forgot about that. The cable you're going to use will vary, but know that the Magni (you might want to get the newer, better Magni 2 if I were you) will only accept an RCA input, so you'll need something that has RCA. You can go with a 3.5mm to RCA, male-to-male cable for starters, although since your SBZ apparently has an optical cable, I'd probably go for optical to RCA if possible.

Hope this helps.

Well, I have a problem: The only amp brand sold here in Brazil is FiiO... Would Fiio E09K be as good  as the Magni? It is pretty annoying to live in Brazil, a lot of those products aren't sold here, and Brazil's Amazon only sells digital books ;-;

Feb 4, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 18

Well, I have a problem: The only amp brand sold here in Brazil is FiiO... Would Fiio E09K be as good  as the Magni? It is pretty annoying to live in Brazil, a lot of those products aren't sold here, and Brazil's Amazon only sells digital books ;-;

Not even close. Both are on different leagues, I'm afraid. Although then again, the E09K is a decent choice -- again not as good as the Magni, but it's decent. FiiO isn't really the company to go to if you strictly want a desktop amplifier, as FiiO's best products are either:
  • For portable devices
  • DAC/Amps which will bypass your soundcard

Why not try buying from a different Amazon? (Then you'd have to factor in shipping and customs...right.)

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 18
Not even close. Both are on different leagues, I'm afraid. Although then again, the E09K is a decent choice -- again not as good as the Magni, but it's decent. FiiO isn't really the company to go to if you strictly want a desktop amplifier, as FiiO's best products are either:
  1. For portable devices
  2. DAC/Amps which will bypass your soundcard

Why not try buying from a different Amazon? (Then you'd have to factor in shipping and customs...right.)

I tried everthing I could, but I only found FiiO products...

There is a new website opening that selos audiophile products... Hoping that theyll sell the magni or something from Schiit :/

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 18

I tried everthing I could, but I only found FiiO products...

There is a new website opening that selos audiophile products... Hoping that theyll sell the magni or something from Schiit :/

I don't find that very likely. There's also an audiophile store about 3 hours away from me, but there is no Schiit product in sight. Only FiiO for their cheaper ones....and Woo Audio, ALO Audio, and other expensive amp brands. Apparently Schiit doesn't really like resellers.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #13 of 18
I would highly suggest looking up the Schiit Fulla. It's a portable Amp/DAC for like 80 USD. Schiit works with very few retailers for the main fact that most retailers will not work with them. They state the reason on their website.

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #14 of 18
  I would highly suggest looking up the Schiit Fulla. It's a portable Amp/DAC for like 80 USD. Schiit works with very few retailers for the main fact that most retailers will not work with them. They state the reason on their website.

*facepalm*

OP already said that he couldn't purchase Schiit at a retailer near him. 
rolleyes.gif

That, and OP doesn't want to bypass the DAC in his recently-purchased soundcard, so all he needs is an amplifier. Besides, the SBZ isn't that bad.

Feb 9, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #15 of 18
Ahh, gotcha. I kinda speed read the posts haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back