Question regarding USB audio.
Apr 11, 2007 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Deiz

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to be ordering a HD-650 with Cardas cable, and a Headroom Max Amp from Headroom in late April.

I'll be getting Headroom's DAC along with the amp.

I've currently got an aging Audigy 2 ZS, so would it be best to connect to the DAC via USB or through the soundcard's digital-out?

Apr 11, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to be ordering a HD-650 with Cardas cable, and a Headroom Max Amp from Headroom in late April.

I'll be getting Headroom's DAC along with the amp.

I've currently got an aging Audigy 2 ZS, so would it be best to connect to the DAC via USB or through the soundcard's digital-out?

Sweet rig. USB. Welcome to the poor house.
wink.gif

Happy listening and give us a full report.

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 7
Personally, I disagree, until HeadRoom demonstrates that they have the USB interface working well. I was just looking at the Total BitHead, and the USB interface is dreadfully bad. If the digital output on the soundcard is good, that's typically the best way to go in order to avoid the USB receiver, which are often sub-par quality parts.

Has anyone done jitter tests on new USB devices? I've been looking for this, and haven't found it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet rig. USB. Welcome to the poor house.
wink.gif

Happy listening and give us a full report.

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by x99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I disagree, until HeadRoom demonstrates that they have the USB interface working well. I was just looking at the Total BitHead, and the USB interface is dreadfully bad. If the digital output on the soundcard is good, that's typically the best way to go in order to avoid the USB receiver, which are often sub-par quality parts.

Has anyone done jitter tests on new USB devices? I've been looking for this, and haven't found it.

Where did you acquire this wisdom? As far as I know USB is better because of the digital path it follows from source to DAC. The latency which is causing jitter can be prevented using hardware buffers and setting it high enough. I am elaborating on this subject here. I don't know what technology Headroom is using to get the digital signal to the DAC. This might be the weak part in their set up. But, like I said, I would like to read an article about this. I am still willing to learn.
biggrin.gif

In the meantime I am voting for USB.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 7
I acquired this wisdom through reading the datasheet of that particular USB receiver. It stinks. USB audio in general stinks, unless you find a manufacturer that did their homework. USB typically requires you to slave to the computer clock, and very few devices actually sync up to a high-precision external master clock. Also see

http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewto...r=asc&start=30

for a thread that explores various receiver chips, and discusses the many problems with USB audio. The USB interface is not well-suited to audio compared to an internal soundcard. All of this rubbish about it being better is just that, rubbish. That said, I don't know what Emu is doing in their latest 24/192 devices, because I haven't looked into it yet.

That HeadRoom thing is basically an overpriced version of the $30 POS Behringer sells as the UCA202, if you're using the USB interface. Sure it, has some better parts, but gold plating on a turd still leaves you with a turb underneath.

Until manufacturers start publishing jitter specs for USB devices, you're just rolling the dice and gambling.. Note: I'm not blaming HeadRoom, or anyone else, I'm just saying that as long as they're using that receiver chip, they're producing a subpar product. I have no idea about their higher end stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you acquire this wisdom? As far as I know USB is better because of the digital path it follows from source to DAC. The latency which is causing jitter can be prevented using hardware buffers and setting it high enough. I am elaborating on this subject here. I don't know what technology Headroom is using to get the digital signal to the DAC. This might be the weak part in their set up. But, like I said, I would like to read an article about this. I am still willing to learn.
biggrin.gif

In the meantime I am voting for USB.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back