Question on powercords
Oct 13, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

You really lost me there mate... I can't claim to understand much when it comes to grounding components and 'ground loops' which was a major park of the switch box argument that I couldnt grasp. How is it that ground can influence the sound of your equipment?

i will see if i can get a link up tonight to clarify what i was trying to say though poorly.Getting late here on the east coast so if i don't find the aplicable info it will have to keep until tomorow when i am less whipped.

Oct 13, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
The REAL bottleneck is your breaker box and only as much "service" your amperage is ,is what will enter your home without adding on another box or upping the service of the main box.

The test is running an appliance and when it cycles do your lights dim momentarily ?

LOL, my last apartment I moved out of, the lights dimmed if I turned on other lights.

Quote:

Another seldom looked at point : the actual runs back to the panel.For every daisy chained outlet/switch/light in a room you are sharing power with whatever happens to be on that particular line.I occasionally still do house wiring and when i do i always suggest a separate line,a" home run" for both a dedicated audio/video AC source and one for the computer AC source.

By "Home Run" you mean that a single run of wire from the breaker to a single outlet? (no daisy chained outlets)
Would a single circuit with daisy chained outlets on it, but has only AV equipment on it, and nothing on other outlets in the chain be OK?

Quote:

And NEVER put audio equipment on a GFI ! NEVER NEVER EVER !
icon10.gif

Does this include a other daisy chained outlets on a circuit that the GFI is on? or only if the GFI is after the outlet in question?

Quote:

not disagreeing guys,just adding some from my experience with house wiring over the years in the trades.

Thanks for the info, Rick. I completely forgot about GFI's. Great for aquariums, though.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Oct 13, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #18 of 25
I have a P300 that has a readout of the amount of power being used by what's plugged into it. Not the most accurate, but in the ball park at least.

Well, when I have my headphone amp plugged into the P300 with an el cheapo thin computer power cord the power reading was actually less than when I use a thicker gauge power cord like the Quail and PS Audio Power cords I have.

So I know at least my amp was being starved for power before. Now as for other positive benefits for sound, heheh, well, we can all agree to disagree.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Oct 13, 2004 at 6:29 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
we can all agree to disagree.

-Ed

Don't get us wrong there mate. All of the questions I have been asking and statements I have made our not questioning the benifits of upgraded power cabling but simply why this benefit is aparent eg. what is the physical difference between the cables. Dont quote me on this but i think Rick is in the same boat here.

cheers
-jake

Oct 13, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #20 of 25
this is not the original article i remember but it does have the very same information on AC/equipment polarity,plus a whole lot more good solid AC line info.

for me it makes a difference,for others means nothing-but i would rather 'swap" the polarity of my plugs than i would spend big bucks on a pretty cord.

just me guys and my opinion,form your own through personal experience and not by what others say

remember,one person saying something sounds good does not mean it sounds good !

enjoy-

http://www.boundforsound.com/tweak.htm

Oct 14, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #22 of 25
Drop $70 on a powercord and see for yourself. I noticed the biggest improvement when I changed the powercord to my amp and a slight improvement when I added one to my cd player. The amp cord lowered background noise and brought out the detail and the bass. The cord especially helped the bass. You can always resell the cord later if you find it doesnt make much of a difference. Good Luck!

Oct 14, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #23 of 25
I'm not sure I fully understand why a better power cord should make a difference, but I'm amazed at the difference it makes in my system. I added an LAT International power cord to my Supra headphone amp a few weeks ago, and was surprised at the immediate and readily noticeable improvement in bass, dynamics, and a lowering of the noise floor. I then ordered two more LAT International power cords, figuring that since they offer a 45-day trial, I would try them with my DAC and CDP and return them if they made no difference or only a marginal one. I got them today and am breaking in one on an appliance for the recommended 100-hour break-in period, but I hooked up the other one up to my DAC just to see if it would result in any change. I had more or less assumed that the upgraded cord on the amp made a difference due to the power draw of the amp, but I was doubtful an upgraded cord would make much difference on the DAC. Surprisingly, it was equally as noticeable as it was with the amp. There was a further improvement in the dynamics, and a veil seemed to be lifted from the higher end. And I know it is not a placebo effect. Frankly, you'd have to be deaf not to hear it.

I have to confess that I used to believe that power cords could not possibly make a difference, and I argued to that effect in various threads on other forums. I'm still not sure of the science, although I suspect it has something to do in my particular case with the benefits a good shielded cord can provide, as my system gets noticeably quieter each time I add an aftermarket cord. In any event, hearing is believing. I'm not saying I could tell the difference between similiarly priced aftermarket cords, or the difference between a $200 cord and a $1000 cord, but I'm certainly more open minded than I used to be on this issue, and I have no doubt that it in a decent system, the difference between a stock cord and a decent aftermarket cord can be rather obvious.

Oct 14, 2004 at 9:12 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mycoman
The law of diminishing returns definitely applies to wire more than any other audio component in my book.

Couldn't agree more. Some random facts for people to digest or shoot down, as you desire:

Voltage drop across of 1 meter of 12AWG copper @ 10A - 52 mV
Vce of a 2N3055 transistor (Ic=10A) - 4V

So the output transistor of a typical amplifier at full output has about 80 times the impedance of the power cord supplying the amplifier. This is probably as it should be, but I don't see how this makes the power cord anything close to a "weak link" in terms of current delivery to the load.

Oct 14, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sluggo
Some random facts for people to digest or shoot down, as you desire:

Voltage drop across of 1 meter of 12AWG copper @ 10A - 52 mV
Vce of a 2N3055 transistor (Ic=10A) - 4V

So the output transistor of a typical amplifier at full output has about 80 times the impedance of the power cord supplying the amplifier. This is probably as it should be, but I don't see how this makes the power cord anything close to a "weak link" in terms of current delivery to the load.

I don't see it either. I only hear it.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back