Question on my hearing
Feb 5, 2012 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Huxley

1000+ Head-Fier
A while back i had my hearing tested whilst having my impressions made, guy really wanted me to have it i guess because he wanted to see what my ears were capable of.

Anyway i only got as far as 16khz, but he seemed taken aback that i had near perfect balance, each side was nearly exact in what it could pick up.

This would explain how most hifi equipment bar the higher end would sound unbalanced to me.

But i am wondering, how common is this and is anyone on here the same?

Feb 6, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 3
Your hearing range is not uncommon and hearing balance issues is more common with headphones than amps.  Many headphones, even higher end ones, typically balance to .5dB which can be audible.  Many other headphone manufactures rarely match the drivers to anything better than 1dB which is why you will hear an imbalance in these headphones.

Uncommon no, but I am glad you can hear to 16kHz.  As we all age we are going to loose a lot of the high and low end.

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 3
Indeed, as you can imagine my hearing is very important, it's why i constantly wear ear plugs at work where others wouldn't bother.

Can't say im surprised about headphones being unbalanced, i guess it would cost to much to be constantly having to match the drivers so they just aim to get as close but remain profitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back