Question for the Gun-fi folks (1911's and AR-15's)
Mar 17, 2008 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm probably going to sell my PS-1's to fund some new gun purchases (still debating) and wanted to ask for some input from 1911 and AR owners.

I shot my first 1911 over the weekend and am leaning towards getting a Springfield Operator. I've also been considering a SW1911 DK Sku# 108287 and something from Fusion. If anyone has had any experience with these I'd appreciate your feedback. How do they shoot, any FTF issues, are the fussy with what you feed them, etc.?

I'm also looking to pick up a new AR and while the Colt I previously had was super reliable I am really drawn towards the Sig 556. Looking for the same feedback on this. I'm digging around on some other forums but I know there are a handful of folks here that may have some helpful info.

Mar 17, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 25
I'm a gun fanatic, but no way would I sell PS1s to get current production guns.

That said, I've heard good things about the fusion, and love all the sigs I've fired.

Mar 17, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 25
I just looked up the specs on that sig 556. Wow, that's one heavy rifle. I'd look at other makers for a 5.56. I really like my olympic, and I've heard good things about bushmaster and rock river arms and DPMS ar15s. The colts I've heard are less desirable unless you're a collector, because they make some annoying changes from the stock ar15.

Mar 17, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a gun fanatic, but no way would I sell PS1s to get current production guns.

That said, I've heard good things about the fusion, and love all the sigs I've fired.

I hear ya! I love the PS-1 but I just never use them. I use my portable rig at work and hardly listen at home at all unless to my speaker rig. I just can't justify the cost without offing something of value so here I am. Another issue is that I fear it's only a matter of time before law makers decide the bullet button AR's will not be allowed in CA. Out of 5 dealers in my area only one is stocking AR's of any type and other dealers have acted like I was crazy when I asked about them.

Have you shot the 556? If I keep my HK I was thinking of getting a long slide from fusion to have something different but I really liked the feel of the MC Operator.

edit - Interesting, I've read mixed things about the Bushys but a lot of good press about the 556 since it will work with AR stocks and mags.

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 25
It's just hte nearly 8 lbs that makes me wonder about the fusion. That's gallil territory. Way too heavy. But I come from a leg infantry background. Gimme an M6 any day
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not up on current production ARs, so I couldn't tell you which ones are currently well built.

Mar 17, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 25
Yup, the Sig is a bit heavy but I am limited here in CA on good Carbine's. The thing I do like about the 556 is the gas-piston operation but I know AR mfgs are starting to make similar designs, I just don't know who's offering what and if they are legal in CA.

As for the 1911 I am really leaning towards the MC Operator. I've read almost nothing but good, reliable reports on it and seems like a lot of bang for the buck vs. going with the TRP or a Kimber or something from Fusion.

PX9105MLP.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 25

Mar 17, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just my opinion, but for new production 1911s, I don't think anyone makes anything (non-custom) better for the money than Kimber.

Kind of a Chevy vs. Ford thing but I've just heard too many reports of FTF and FTE issues with Kimber when using a variety of ammo. I really want something that will eat just about anything I feed it (like my HK
tongue.gif
)

Mar 17, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 25

Mar 18, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also looking to pick up a new AR and while the Colt I previously had was super reliable I am really drawn towards the Sig 556. Looking for the same feedback on this. I'm digging around on some other forums but I know there are a handful of folks here that may have some helpful info.

Most of the user reports that I've seen have indicated that the 556 is less reliable compared to good AR's from most manufacturers. Toss in the weight, spare parts availability, and aftermarket support disadvantages and I really don't see any reason to buy one except for the "it's damned cool" factor. Or if you just really hate getting the carbon deposits out of the star chamber. But if you only have one, I'd probably go with an AR. Also, politics being what they are, the AR is likely to have better parts availability in case of a ban.

As for S&W 1911's, mine's been fine with everything I've put through it, but is somewhat picky with magazines. Wilson Combat mags occasionally go to slide lock and leave the last round rattling around. The factory mags (from ACT) and Colt dimple follower mags work 100%. No experience with the custom shop versions though, so trigger and accuracy of the specific models are beyond me. Both are good for the price range on my Gunsite version.

Mar 18, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #11 of 25
I would buy the MC Operator.

As for Sig what can I say I have probably 20 thousand rounds fired from my 228 and several thousand from my 229. It is my fav handgun. Thats said I have tried the sig 556 and honestly dont know if I would buy it.

I prefer the HK417 and I definitely know that the next rifle I am buying is the HK SL8-6. Of course the SL8 might be for you since thats all you could afford, if lucky with the sale of your PS1's

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 25

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of the user reports that I've seen have indicated that the 556 is less reliable compared to good AR's from most manufacturers. Toss in the weight, spare parts availability, and aftermarket support disadvantages and I really don't see any reason to buy one except for the "it's damned cool" factor. Or if you just really hate getting the carbon deposits out of the star chamber. But if you only have one, I'd probably go with an AR. Also, politics being what they are, the AR is likely to have better parts availability in case of a ban.

As for S&W 1911's, mine's been fine with everything I've put through it, but is somewhat picky with magazines. Wilson Combat mags occasionally go to slide lock and leave the last round rattling around. The factory mags (from ACT) and Colt dimple follower mags work 100%. No experience with the custom shop versions though, so trigger and accuracy of the specific models are beyond me. Both are good for the price range on my Gunsite version.

Interesting, I've read a lot of good press on them (weight aside) but I'm still digging. Most AR owners in CA prefer to build their own using parts off the ban list. I've been looking around at calguns.net but it's like info overload and I have never built one before so am a little unsure of myself. I have no idea how much time it would take and what type of reliability it would have... especially if I did something wrong
tongue.gif

kydsid - Right now I think I've narrowed it down to the Operator and S&W DK but I just can't stand the look of that flat trigger on the DK... ugly! I've heard it is a better trigger once you are used to it. As far as the HK I'd have to check the list but I'd bet it is banned here in CA.

edit - Looks like you can add a bullet button or plugh the thumb hole on the SL8-6 to make it CA legal.

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #14 of 25
Kimbers were excellent until their design people decided they knew more about firearms design than John Moses Browning did. The Springfield Arms 1911s I have owned and shot have worked just fine, but I've never been thrilled with their two piece barrels. Probably just me. My favorite carry Kimber is an original 5" CDP, and the closest current production would be something like the S&W scandium framed 5". A number of my friends shoot these S&Ws without issues and like them. 4" 1911s are problematic; generally tend to short cycle and are undependable on a basic design level.

My precision ARs shoot under 0.5" and work well for prairie poodles to 400 yards. My tactical ARs shoot around 1.0", which is just fine for the purpose.

I sure am glad I bought the guns I bought decades ago.
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

kydsid - Right now I think I've narrowed it down to the Operator and S&W DK but I just can't stand the look of that flat trigger on the DK... ugly! I've heard it is a better trigger once you are used to it. As far as the HK I'd have to check the list but I'd bet it is banned here in CA.

edit - Looks like you can add a bullet button or plugh the thumb hole on the SL8-6 to make it CA legal.

Agreed on the ugly for the DK and another vote for weird shooting. While I haven't shot the DK I can say any other gun I have shot with that same stupid flat and/or solid trigger bs I never liked. Could be all in my head and not really function. But I don't care one way or the other its a gun and the last thing I want when using it is any hesitation for any reason.

God I hate California and their gun laws. Heres to being exempt
wink.gif

When I pick up my SL8-6 I will shoot it and then have my gunsmith make it California legal and shoot again and let you know if that alters the shooting at all. I can't wait! But the price is, OMG, don't make me think about spending what I did on that thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back