Question for former Singlepower owners: What amp are you using now?
Oct 31, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #16 of 63
I'm still using my Supra SDS.  My amp was built back in 2002 or 3 and the first SDS built so it proves to be very reliable.  I did get my tech. to install several bleeding resistors to make the amp safer though.  I'm still using my SDS  as I prefer it over the Eddie Current Zana Deux and Woo Audio 5.  My backup amps are the Gilmore Reference (soon to be balanced) and Larocco Headcode DM.  The Gilmore Ref (the same as GSX) is an incredible solidstate amp.

Oct 31, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #17 of 63

Quote:
I'm still using my Supra SDS.  My amp was built back in 2002 or 3 and the first SDS built so it proves to be very reliable.  I did get my tech. to install several bleeding resistors to make the amp safer though.  I'm still using my SDS  as I prefer it over the Eddie Current Zana Deux and Woo Audio 5.  My backup amps are the Gilmore Reference (soon to be balanced) and Larocco Headcode DM.  The Gilmore Ref (the same as GSX) is an incredible solidstate amp.

purk, how does the headcode stack up with these other amps? it seems like an interesting design but it doesn't get discussed much.

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #18 of 63

Quote:
purk, how does the headcode stack up with these other amps? it seems like an interesting design but it doesn't get discussed much.

Dave,

The Headcode is certainly an excellent sounding solidstate amp with slightly warmer tonality than most SS amps.  I would rate it only slightly behind the Gilmore Reference in term of overall sound quality.  It sounds great with the HD800, Qualia, and R10.  I rated the Gilmore Ref as being slightly better than Headcode b/c of the wider soundstage and more robust bass response on the Gilmore Ref.  The Headcode sounds nearly on par with the Zana Deux when I compared it side by side.        

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #20 of 63

I hate to praise the SP amp these days but when I compared the Woo 5 and my SDS side by side, the SDS was more superior in terms of:

1)  Soundstage depth & width.  The Woo 5 had less depth and sounded more 2-D.
2)  Tonality.  The SDS sounded more natural and organics to my ears.
3)  Transparent.  The SDS responded better to tube rolling.  My amp can be tailored to any headphone out there by rolling tubes.

Please note that the Woo5 that I auditioned was a prototype unit.  Knowing Jack Woo and his relentless pursuit to better sound, I'm sure he must already improved the sound of his amps considerably. 

Quote:
purk,

Can you elaborate on why you prefer the SDS over the Woo 5?  Is the Woo 5 lacking in some area?  Does it sound slow/syrupy relative to the SDS? 

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #21 of 63
purk,

For some reason, Mikhail's amps could sound quite good even though the build quality on many if not all his amps was terrible.  I am not sure how this was possible.  I would think a badly built amp would be prone to a lot of noise.  Yet in general Singlepower amps seemed to be quiet, very musical, and easy to tune to one's liking by rolling tubes. 

For now, I am using a Luxman P1-u and a Singlepower Extreme that was rebuilt by Bolder Cable.  The Luxman is a very good amp and I really don't ever worry about it breaking down on me.  But I still prefer the sound signature of the Extreme ever so slightly, even with low impedance headphones.  I am thinking about buying a Woo 22, mainly to compare how it sounds to the rebuilt Extreme.

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #22 of 63
Quote:
For now, I am using a Luxman P1-u and a Singlepower Extreme that was rebuilt by Bolder Cable. 

who is Bolder Cable and what did they do to your amp? were you pleased with their work and prices?

Nov 3, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #23 of 63
I also have a Bolder rebuilt SP Extreme and it's great.
Wayne of Bolder Cables is great http://www.boldercables.com/servlet/StoreFront
I was told by Wayne that now I can even use ECC32's which are very demanding tubes.
I believe skylab already uses them with his SP Extreme rebuilt by Bolder.

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #24 of 63
I do use the ECC32, which is fine because the ElectraPrint transformer that is now in mine can easily handle the extra current draw of an ECC32 over a 6SN7.

But my amp was not rebuilt by Bolder, just for the record.  A very nice local person did it for me.

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #25 of 63
This is an excellent question.  I own a PPX3, and like it very much, but would like to see if I could add something else.  I just posted a related thread, and I welcome any comments.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #26 of 63
Sorry skylab, thanks for putting the record straight.

Nov 3, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #27 of 63
Quote:
purk,

For some reason, Mikhail's amps could sound quite good even though the build quality on many if not all his amps was terrible.  I am not sure how this was possible.  I would think a badly built amp would be prone to a lot of noise.  Yet in general Singlepower amps seemed to be quiet, very musical, and easy to tune to one's liking by rolling tubes. 

For now, I am using a Luxman P1-u and a Singlepower Extreme that was rebuilt by Bolder Cable.  The Luxman is a very good amp and I really don't ever worry about it breaking down on me.  But I still prefer the sound signature of the Extreme ever so slightly, even with low impedance headphones.  I am thinking about buying a Woo 22, mainly to compare how it sounds to the rebuilt Extreme.

I don't know why either but most people never seem to have problems with the sound of his amp.  I'm waiting for a SDS-XLR to show up for 2k and buy it.  I doubt that will ever happen given most paid over 6.5k for them.  I believe most SP amp owners should get their amps check out, and make sure it is safe for operation.   

Nov 3, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #28 of 63
I will add that I have not had a good experience with Boulder.  I sent him both my Concerto and MPX3.  He said he couldn't fix the Concerto, but the MPX3 would take a couple of months.  A couple of months rolled past and he still hadn't done anything.  Another couple of months and he said he was working on it.  Another couple of months and he was still working on it.  And yet another couple of months and still not done.  Hmmm...  Where have I experienced this before?  That last communication was this past spring and I finally gave up on getting my amps back.  I'm still using my Extreme unmodified, until such time as I find a better amp but that also provides a similar (or better) sonic signiture, which is quite different than my 12ax7->el84 MapleTreeAudio HD-250.

Nov 3, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #29 of 63
Nov 3, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #30 of 63
Quote:
I will add that I have not had a good experience with Boulder.  I sent him both my Concerto and MPX3.  He said he couldn't fix the Concerto, but the MPX3 would take a couple of months.  A couple of months rolled past and he still hadn't done anything.  Another couple of months and he said he was working on it.  Another couple of months and he was still working on it.  And yet another couple of months and still not done.  Hmmm...  Where have I experienced this before?  That last communication was this past spring and I finally gave up on getting my amps back.  I'm still using my Extreme unmodified, until such time as I find a better amp but that also provides a similar (or better) sonic signiture, which is quite different than my 12ax7->el84 MapleTreeAudio HD-250.

hmmm, who were you dealing with there? was the guy's name mikhail, or something similar?  
rolleyes.gif
after all, they're both near denver! 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back