Question for DVD player buffs
Nov 15, 2001 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Vertigo-1

Señor Sony
Ok...if I had a progressive scan DVD player...and my TV were HDTV compatible but only had Svideo and composite inputs, would it still be possible to get the progressive scan? Or do you have to use component ins and outs to get progressive scan going?

Reason being I'm considering a progressive scan DVD player, but my only TV source is a 19" Sony flat CRT. I know you at least need an HDTV to get this to work, and Hauppauge recently released a TV tuner card that has HDTV output capabilities...but it doesn't have component ins I believe, only Svideo and composite. So could I still take advantage of the progressive scan through such a setup?

The tuner card specs are here:

http://registration.hauppauge.com/Su...d/WinTV-HD.htm

If somebody can understand that jargon better than I can BTW, please do tell. What I'm getting is that you need a SECOND monitor/TV and you must output the incoming signal from the P.S. DVD player to that second monitor/TV in order to output the P.S. ability, which sort of ruins it for me if that were true. I mean why can't it display it on my current monitor?

Nov 15, 2001 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 6
I have not yet seen any DVD player that outputs progressive through S-video. Most of them use what they call wideband component output to output progressive, which entails having a TV with component and progressive scan capabilities. Not sure about monitors, as there are other cables capable of passing a progressive signal and I've only set up HD and progressive on consumer TV's for my friends.

The specs on the card list RGB output and line doubling. The confusing bit is "The decoded video is displayed in either of two software-selectable ways, (1) by passing the video to the PC’s VGA subsystem via the PCI bus in 640x480 resolution, or (2) by driving an RGB (VGA) or YPrPb (HDTV component) monitor directly in resolutions up to 1920x1080i. A loop cable and an on-board analog switch are provided to allow the high resolution video to be displayed on the PC’s monitor". Sounds like it's using the MPEG decoder to upconvert the resolution, as it does not list RGB or component input. It does, however, list 480p (DVD progressive res) and 720p, so it's at least capable of outputing progressive, just don't know how you'd get it in there.

Don't know if that helps.

Nov 15, 2001 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 6
It looks like the card can only receive an airborne DTV signal (which is encoded/decoded using an 8 vestigial sideband (VSB) schema) and then output the decoded signal to a HDTV capable monitor with component inputs or to your computer screen using an analog overlay technique.

Dec 2, 2001 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Ok...if I had a progressive scan DVD player...and my TV were HDTV compatible but only had Svideo and composite inputs, would it still be possible to get the progressive scan? Or do you have to use component ins and outs to get progressive scan going?

You will need (480p) hi-def component in. Just component in (480i) will not do.

Quote:

Reason being I'm considering a progressive scan DVD player, but my only TV source is a 19" Sony flat CRT. I know you at least need an HDTV to get this to work, and Hauppauge recently released a TV tuner card that has HDTV output capabilities...but it doesn't have component ins I believe, only Svideo and composite. So could I still take advantage of the progressive scan through such a setup?

Vertigo, if you have a DVD player in your PC then the output that you see on your monitor is progressive scan.
smily_headphones1.gif

Notice that there are no scan lines!
Now if you want to output this to a hi-def monitor then the card would come in handy.
The card will not help with your current tvs though since you don't have progressive inputs to begin with.
frown.gif

Dec 2, 2001 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 6
So in a situation where I have a DVD-ROM, and my 9000ES which has progressive scan but only a TV tuner with Svideo and composite input...I'd be better off using the DVD-ROM as my DVD player?

Dec 4, 2001 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 6
Better off is a relative term.
wink.gif

If you like looking at movies on a small PC screen, then yes.
I have an 18" LCD. DVD movies look amazing on it but, I would still rather see movies on my non-HDTV 43" Sony.
smily_headphones1.gif

PS. Even if I didn't have a big screen, I would rather see movies on my TV than my PC. (esp. with that 9000ES!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back