Question About Ripping CD to FLAC
Jun 9, 2018 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

State Of Trance

New Head-Fier
Was ripping another CD, using, as I always have, this tutorial. Noticed this one part here, where he sets bit rate and it's only 1024 kBit/s, which is the highest option in the dropdown. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what this setting actually is, but CD quality bitrate is 1,411 kbps and we're ripping from that to a lossless FLAC. So what does that setting indicate?

Jun 9, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 2
It probably does nothing. The UI doesn't have integrated support for the FLAC encoder, it is the "additional command-line options" field which controls the encoder, not the UI element. The "-6" controls the amount of compression. You can select a number from 0 to 8. It will always be lossless, but if you choose a higher number the encoder will spend more time trying to compress the file size further. Unless you're processing a huge number of files that will take a very long time and you are impatient, I see no reason not to choose 8. Most of the time will be spent ripping the CD, you won't even notice if the encoder takes an extra second or two.

The only thing it might do is add that selection to a tag which describes the encoder settings. It doesn't actually affect the encoder, but the UI might decide to put it in a tag anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back