Question about restoring files backed up on Vista
Sep 22, 2009 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

TopPop

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, so the hard drive on my laptop has been failing for months now, and is just getting worse... time for a new one.

But I don't want to put Vista back on as the OS.
redface.gif

However, my files are backed up regularly using Vista's Backup and Restore Center. This seems to break the files up into (seemingly) random zipfiles, and I'm not sure if another OS could restore them back to their proper folders and such. I'd like to either use Windows 7 or a Linux-based distribution. I'm guessing that the Windows 7 restore would be able to read the Vista-backed-up files well, but I'm not sure.

Another problem is that, if I decide on Windows 7, the copy I would purchase would be an upgrade. I don't have the installation disc for Vista (because my laptop never came with one), so I don't know if I can do a fresh Windows 7 install off of an .iso file burned from an upgrade version downloaded from the Windows website. This makes me think that a Linux-based distro might be easier to deal with... but I'm not sure if it could read the files backed up using Vista!
angry_face.gif

Any ideas/helps/advice/etc.??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back