Question about recording live sound with an iPod
Mar 12, 2004 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

innocentbystandr

Head-Fier
Is there anyway to record live sound with an iPod? I know that griffintechnology and belkin have voice recorders, but they record at 16-bit mono. I want to achieve a decent level of resolution ie. 128/192-bits.

Mar 12, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 12
kbps
rolleyes.gif

Yes, you pointed out my error. Congratulations!!! I'm sure you could have just said something like "Well, I assume you meant kbps right?..." and then proceed to give some kind of relevant answer or comment. But thanks for the spam.

Mar 12, 2004 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 12
The iPod's connector only has a mono line in, and the current software limits the bit rate for recording, so current generation iPods aren't really suitable for concert recording.

If you're looking to do this kind of thing, consider the iRiver iHP series. They can do this.

Mar 12, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 12
I actually recorded a Mountain Goats concert a week ago using an Archos MP3 player/recorder, although I would have to ask it's owner to get the model number. I can say it would have worked great if I hadn't had the gain up too high
frown.gif

Mar 12, 2004 at 10:13 AM Post #7 of 12
24-bit 44,1, 48, 96khz

Nagra-V---2b.jpg

Designed primarily for film, television and video location recording applications, the NAGRA V employs Linear 24-bit recording technology and stores audio data in post-production ready, Broadcast Wave format.

The NAGRA V records on 2.5 inch IDE hard disk drives. These are available at ever increasing data storage capacities and, even with a 60 Gb drive, provides a maximum 44.1 kHz stereo recording time of up to 60 hours (30 hours at 96 kHz).

Based upon the rugged, proven chassis of the Nagra ARES-C solid-state recorder and weighing in at just 3kg, the compact NAGRA V offers comfortable on-the-shoulder operation.

Just don't ask the price.

Mar 12, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 12
chadbang,
ever try to stuff a nagra down your pants at a concert?
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif

still, droooool....

Mar 13, 2004 at 7:03 AM Post #11 of 12
My dad sings Indian Classical vocals semi-professionally, and for the longest time he used a Sharp MD recorder to archive his concerts for personal use. He recently switched to the Archos AV320 with an upgraded 80 gig HD. He said that the quality is phenomenal. Basically the upgraded OS that you can download off their website allows you to make recordings in WAV format. The only downside to this unit is that it's a little bulky/heavy, but it also allows you to play video. Pricey, though. It cost my dad $650 for the AV320 with the 80 gig upgrade on eBay.

Mar 13, 2004 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Ever try to stuff a nagra down your pants at a concert?

No, but I did try to smuggle a Colt 45 into a Rolling Stones show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back