Question about OLD old stock tubes, answer someone with exeperience
Jan 13, 2004 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mindless

1000+ Head-Fier
Today my dad came with the suggestion that I should look into some old radio's from the early 40's and 50's. In these radios (2)(manufactured by Philips) I found 11 tubes, wich seem to be in good shape, exept one maybe.

Now, is any of these tubes good, and mabybe worth a bit of cash? All tubes are Philips Miniwatt's from early 40's/50's.

ECH 42
EAF 42 x2
EL 41
AZ 41
ECC 85
ECH 81
EF 89
EABC 80
EL 86
EM 84 / E 44 (the one I think is broke, a big tube)

Now, someone with experience, preferably from a bit older guys who grew up with these things (Hirsch etc. though I dont know if you grew up with any of these, or if your hifi intrest emerged in later years) tell me if these tubes are any good, and what purpose they would serve best (output, input or power tubes) and if possible, give me a estimated value for them (not that im going to sell them, just to brag that I got some very old and expensive tubes
tongue.gif

(NOTE : Hirsch, no offence meant)

Thanks.

Mindless.

Jan 13, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm not familiar with the tubes on your list. However, you might want to try looking at sites that stock a lot of tubes (see the tube sites sticky thread) and locate those tubes on the sites. That may give you some idea of what a dealer thinks they're worth.

Jan 13, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 4
Most of those tubes aren't really used in Hi Fi today except possibly the ECC85.

You might get some money for the rest to someone who collects or restores old radios but I doubt it would be much.

People still want EM84 'magic eye' tubes for instance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back