Question about hooking up headphone amp
Jul 29, 2010 at 6:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

TitiKaka

New Head-Fier
I just ordered my Denon d2000...  next is getting a dedicated amp. Here's my question... I run blu-rays through my 7.1 Panasonic theater. There is no audio out connection given it is a blu-ray/receiver all in one. I believe that if I hook the dedicated amp up to my audio out in my TV, it will do the trick too... is that correct? I have a digital audio out and a RCA audio out on my TV. I can hear the movies through my TV if I want, so I'm guessing it will output that sound through the outs. I really hope you all say yes, because I may have a problem otherwise.

Rich 

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 30
What Blue-Ray unit do you have?  Is the the connection between the Blu-Ray and TV HDMI? Optical?

Of course you can run the headphone amp through your TV, but based on the info you have provided, I don't see how you would be able to take advantage of the Blu-Ray converters for higher fidelity. 

Jul 31, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 30
Are you sure you don't have a legacy 2.0 RCA out?

On my Sony, I have my receiver plugged in through HDMI, but I also have a pair of RCA cables out that I can connect my headphone amp to if I need to watch with headphones that don't drive well with my Denon receiver.

This way, my wife and I can also watch something together silently when the baby is sleeping, one through the receiver headphone out, and one through the headphone amp straight out of the Blu-ray player.

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 30
Panasonic sc-bt300

http://content.techrepublic.com.com/2346-1035_11-327776-11.html

I know, HTIB, but it suits me well (just bought new house)

I'm hooking it to my Panasonic th42px6u plasma through HDMI.

As far as I can see, the only way to output the audio to a headphone amp would be through TV audio outputs. 

Any idea??? 

Aug 1, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #5 of 30
Again, you can just use the aux outs (TV) to connect to a headphone amp.

Aug 1, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 30
You might be screwed then.  Your TV won't likely convert the digital signal to analog for you.

Aug 1, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 30
Actually, the Aux (TV) jacks might work as audio outputs. I say this because the BT3000 seems to be able to output video by Component and Composite--in which case it must have RCA audio outputs. Give those RCA jacks a try?

Aug 2, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #11 of 30
I thought you had it for a sec. I tried, nothing. I looked it up in the book, it's an audio input only. I know all you intelligent people out there can figure this one out!!!! HELP! 

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #12 of 30
It looks like you will have to get a dedicated receiver to be able to hook things up the way you need to.  For example TV > HDMI > Blu-Ray > HDMI > Receiver > RCA > Headphone amp.

Aug 8, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #14 of 30
Does the back of your TV have an optical or coax digital audio out port?

If so, in the TV menu, set your digital out to 2-channel PCM and buy this:
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Audio-Analog-Converter/dp/B0013LWK3A/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1281306489&sr=8-2-fkmr1

Aug 10, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #15 of 30
http://www.hometheatermag.com/flat-panels/1106panasystem/index2.html

Here's the back... along with a "digital audio out" off out of view of the picture. One thing I'm not comprehending... why wouldn't hooking up RCA to the audio out to the amp work?? I understand it is digital sound and I need it to be analog (still not really understanding that either), but what is the difference between hooking up RCA's from the back of a blu ray player  and hooking it up from the back of the TV? Is it known that a blu ray audio out RCAs will already be analog and the TV audio out is digital?   Hell, if I'm spending 60 bucks on a converter I'd be better off just buying a secondary blu-ray player with audio outs, which I imagine would sound better than this set up.   Thanks for the help guys... I'm getting my d5000 in the mail tomorrow and a Schiit amp in Sept or Oct and need to get this stuff figured out ahead of time!! 

Rich 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back