question about GRADO.....
Nov 5, 2010 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

LAmitchell

100+ Head-Fier
i really LOVE the way they look, I was all set to buy the 325i's or the RS2's....

but after listening to them for about an hour, my head literally HURT... a sharp pain was present....

I WANTED TO LIKE THEM.... so would someone please explain to me, how these headphones

are "listenable"???   do you have to have lost part of your upper range of hearing in order to enjoy them?

i ended up with the HD650's.

this post is not meant to insult grados, i am honestly curious as to the answer. thanks.

P.S. will i get better sound quality by POLISHING/BUFFING the 1/4 plug to a brilliant shine?

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 35
Which model did you listen to? My RS1s are fine treble wise.

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 35
Grados are amongst the lightest, most comfortable headphones I have used. I had the MS1 and 225. I used bowls with both. I love my 580, but the Grados were just as comfortable. Maybe because I don't have a big head...? The treble was detailed, but never uncomfortable. The 325 is the brightest Grado from what I understand.

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 35
Not everyone likes them and just about EVERYONE knows they are bright relative to a HD650. It's your fault that you didn't read impressions before hand, or if you did, you were quite selective in your reading. 

Quote:
I WANTED TO LIKE THEM.... so would someone please explain to me, how these headphones

are "listenable"???   do you have to have lost part of your upper range of hearing in order to enjoy them?

this post is not meant to insult grados, i am honestly curious as to the answer. thanks.

Yeah that's it, everyone is deaf.

Go back to where you came from. I'm growing tired of rands trying to create a storm in a teacup.

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 35
^^Okkkkkkkk
That's probably one of the rarer opinions on these boards.

MS-Pro + HD414 pads on the other hand...
Put it this way, the HD800 sounds like a high end headphone, the MS-Pro sounds like music.

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 35
Grados are supposed to be pretty fatiguing. maybe Grados aren't for you. People usually either love or hate Grados.

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 35
Which you'd know if you did your homework
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #8 of 35

Quote:
Not everyone likes them and just about EVERYONE knows they are bright relative to a HD650. It's your fault that you didn't read impressions before hand, or if you did, you were quite selective in your reading. 

Go back to where you came from. I'm growing tired of rands trying to create a storm in a teacup.

Ouch!

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #11 of 35
I apologize Mr. Momijititmo, 

I guess I just felt like there was something wrong with ME, because I wasn't "getting it". 

I should have phrased the question differently.

I did like the way they sounded though, except when something like a trumpet would play some very high notes.

your passion for GRADO makes me think I should try 'em out again... maybe using a tube amp or something.

and i do love the way the grado line LOOKS....

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #12 of 35
Did you try turning them down?

Grados are a lot of fun and make you want to crank them, but you'll end up experiencing the Grado Earneedle.

Turn it down and try again.

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #14 of 35

Quote:

That was a bit... harsh (pun intended).

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

your passion for GRADO makes me think I should try 'em out again... maybe using a tube amp or something.

I find tubes greatly extend my patience with the Grado's sound.  They still aren't my usual cans though.  I use my SR325is when I'm doing something really boring at work or when I'm tired and need to stay awake.  The pumped up treble keeps me more focused, awake and alert.  I use my HD650s when I'm relaxing to music at home.

Music and headphones are my mind altering drugs.

Grados are speed.

I don't know what my HD650s are, but I listen to them on my Crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back