Question about FS Atrio IEMs
Jan 19, 2012 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

bigmiketn

New Head-Fier
Hi all, first post here at head-fi. Anyway, I am in the market for some new IEMs, and I am positive I want to invest in some Atrios.  Here is my question:  I know that the MG7 driver is better than the MG5 (although by how much I don't) but, right now a pair of Atrio X's with the MG5 driver can be had for about $40 online compared to about $150 for the Atrios with the MG7.  I want to know if the difference is worth the substantial price difference?  I am not an audiophile(I had a pair of JVC Marshmallows that I thought were great, but rank low on Joker's Multi IEM review) so I'm thinking the older atrio x phones will be plenty for what I want, but I want some opinions from people who know IEMs. Sorry if this has been covered already, and any help is greatly appreciated(especially if you save me $90).

Edit: I also have these http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-over-the-ear-earbuds, which sound like junk to me comared to the Marshmallows I had, if that gives you some insight into my sound preferences.

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 20
I have had the entire series of FS Atrio's (EM3, FS1, M5 MG5pro and now the M5 MG7). The difference is significant. If you have the budget, get the MG7 for sure. The MG5 driver IMO is a FANTASTIC sub-$75 purchase but when comparing to the MG7 driver, there is no competition!

Here is my review of the MG7:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586322/review-future-sonics-atrio-mg7/30#post_8067912

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #3 of 20
Thanks navmau for the quick response,  I have actually read your review a time or two lol (I lurk on forums, what can i say).  If there's a big difference then I will definitely get the MG7s.  Leaning that way anyways, as I've heard the mids and highs are better.

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
Thanks navmau for the quick response,  I have actually read your review a time or two lol (I lurk on forums, what can i say).  If there's a big difference then I will definitely get the MG7s.  Leaning that way anyways, as I've heard the mids and highs are better.

Absolutely better mids and highs. The MG5 driver Atrio is great for someone who wants something great for under $75 but in a head to head between the MG5 and MG7, the MG7 is significantly superior. In fact, I found the MG7 significantly superior than even the MG5pro driver so you can imagine how good the MG7 is going to be in comparison.

I hope you enjoy them. Which colour are you going for?

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #5 of 20
I'm in between the black ones and the blue ones.  I like the black better, but I've found the blue ones cheaper.  Like 189.99 vs. 148.46 new at amazon.com.  It seems kind of silly to me to pay forty dollars extra for a different color of the exact same thing, especially when these plugs seem to be about function over form.  Sorry to talk your head off, but when I try to talk to people around me all they say is "You're gonna pay $180 for WHAT!  Just use the ones you have." It's nice to hear someone say that they are worth the money, instead of telling me they're a waste.

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #6 of 20
Check the portable headphone deals thread for a coupon code to www.Atrio.me. I believe it is still working and you can get the mg7 for $99 plus $10 shipping. They are an authorized dealer. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 20

Quote:
Check the portable headphone deals thread for a coupon code to www.Atrio.me. I believe it is still working and you can get the mg7 for $99 plus $10 shipping. They are an authorized dealer. 

The head-fi community at it's best!!!

Quote:
Thanks a million both of you, the coupon is still valid, I am definitely getting them now.

Hope you enjoy them, mate. They are definitely worth it and at $99, they are probably the biggest bang for buck IEMs!!!

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
How do MG7 compare to IE80?

MG7 has better quantity/quality bass, IE80 has a crisper treble, bigger overall soundstage, and they have similar mids. This is based on a few days of listening with the stock foam on the MG7 and MEElec tips on the IE80. I'm getting the Klipsch Oval next week so I plan to use that for the MG7.

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
MG7 has better quantity/quality bass, IE80 has a crisper treble, bigger overall soundstage, and they have similar mids. This is based on a few days of listening with the stock foam on the MG7 and MEElec tips on the IE80. I'm getting the Klipsch Oval next week so I plan to use that for the MG7.

And a huge difference in price especially since MG7 are on sale for ~$100. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #14 of 20
I have been searching on and off all day trying to find a bad review, but haven't been able to. I have one more question, how forgiving are the mg7s of lower quality mp3s (I would assume not very forgiving at all)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back