Question About Changing Grado Plug
Feb 28, 2012 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BenWaB3

Head-Fier
The 3.5mm plug on my SR80's cuts out intermittantly so I want to replace it. Since most of my listening is done on regular stereos I'll replace it w/ the 1/4" plug & then use a 3.5 adapter if a situation calls for it. Anyway, since the 3.5 plug is molded I don't know which wires go where on the replacement plug. Can anyone supply me w/ the color codes for wiring up the new one? Also since I've had the phones for quite some time the earpads are pretty worn out. I remember seeing a thread once on pads from a different brand of phone that people seemed to prefer over the stock Grados. Can anyone supply me w/ that info as well?

Thanks In Advance,
Ben

Feb 29, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 7
Easy way, cut the plug of with a bit of excess wire then use a multimeter on the plug and touch each wire. Thats how I redid my Fostex T50RPs.

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the replies scoopbb & Nixon. I had cross posted on AudioKarma & someone there suggested red = rt. channel, white = lt. & the ground wires would be the same color. I was able test that out w/ 3 jumper clip wires to confirm before soldering. They're working fine now through the 1/4" plug & I'll order the HT414 pads tonight. Thank you both again.

Ben

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Thanks for the replies scoopbb & Nixon. I had cross posted on AudioKarma & someone there suggested red = rt. channel, white = lt. & the ground wires would be the same color. I was able test that out w/ 3 jumper clip wires to confirm before soldering. They're working fine now through the 1/4" plug & I'll order the HT414 pads tonight. Thank you both again.

Ben

Be aware that Grado is not consistent with their wire colors, I've seen it done all sorts of ways over the years.  It's always best to just check, as you did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back