Question about canalphones
Dec 6, 2006 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Thelonious Monk

Headphoneus Supremus
Basically, I'm about to be making some important buying decisions, earbud-wise. When it comes to silicone-tipped in-ear canalphones (not IEMs, just in the ear canal) like the Sennheiser CX-300, exactly how removable are the silicone parts? I ask this because I had a pair of Phillips canalphones, that were really pretty good for $20, but the little rubber parts always fell out, until I lost them. I'm always on the move, and I like to share my music with people around me, so I don't want to buy IEMs (not to mention I'm poor). Are V-Moda Vibes and CX-300s sturdy as far as holding the tips goes? Thanks in advance, sorry if there's already a topic on this.

np: X-Japan - Black Diamond

Dec 6, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 7
I have the CX300 and the tips are sturdy. Unfortunately, the cable is cheap rubber and the worse part is that they do not sound great. They are boring.......for $40 I would expect mindblowing sound.

Dec 7, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #3 of 7
I've had the Sony 51s and 71s, a pair of Panasonics, and my current favorite canal phone, the Creative EP 630, and I've never had the silicone earpieces come off unless I was swapping them intentionally. I can't comment on the Vibes and the Sennheisers other than to say that if you treat them relatively carefully, the silicone should stay on OK.

Dec 7, 2006 at 10:02 AM Post #4 of 7
As a former owner of Sony Ex71s, I must say that those ear tips are not exactly very secure. I nearly lost my medium sized sleeves twice......Then again, I simply dumped them in my bag and they could have gotten loose hahaha. I think the creative in-ears are more value for money. For the sennheiser's I could have topped up 20 bucks or so for an entry level iem.

Dec 7, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 7
Well, doesnt look like im going to get my er6's...

Anyone compare these to CX300 or EP630s? I guess those are my choices for now...

Dec 7, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #6 of 7
I replaced the tips on my CX300s with the UE super.fi silicone tip (large). The UE tips seem a bit thicker than the stock ones. I had to turn the UE tips inside out to get them on and they are VERY secure.

I briefly owned the V-Moda Vibes (returned them because I wanted more bass). The tips on those were like the UE tips...a bit thicker. They seemed to stay on the Vibes OK, but I only owned them for a day. I bought the Bass Freqs from V-Moda and they use the same tips as the Vibe. The UE tips fit the Bass Freqs as well. The stock tips from the Bass Freqs haven't come off once.

With my old Sony EX51s, I was always losing tips. Sony...evil.
tongue.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 7
my sony ex51 tips were pretty damn loose, sometimes they would stay in the ear when i took them out, or the tips would fall off in my pocket when i stored the canalphone there.

however, the shure e2c's I had were very secured. never ever came off. same as my etymotic er6i's.

in short, i think the cheaper canalphones dont seem very secure, but the midrange -> highend are better
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back