Question about audio in DVD videos
Apr 15, 2006 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Sladeophile

Headphoneus Supremus
My brother has some concerts on dvd and wants to rip the audio off of them without the video so that he can play it in the background while he works on his computer. He doesn't want the video because it eats up so many resources and slows his computer down. Can you guys help me out?
Slade

Apr 16, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #2 of 22
Hmm, it's been a long time since I did this, so my memory is a little shaky, but I'd suggest a visit to the Digital Digest website- if memory serves you're gonna need a demuxer to seperate the audio streams and something like BeSweet to convert AC3 to mp3. Good luck...

Apr 16, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #3 of 22
i've used dvd audio rippers in the past. been awhile for me as well but they do exist. the one i used was a piece of cake and worked fabulously. feel free to pm or email me to remind me to look for it on one of my PCs if you like (otherwise, i'll definitely forget).

Apr 16, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 22
1)Download and install DVD-Decrypter
2)Start it up.
3)Point it to the drive with your music dvd in.
4)Chose the folder than you want to rip the audio to.
5)Click on the Input tab and select the VTS_xx which is the main content (i.e. the one with the longest indicated playtime)
6)Click on the stream processing tab
7)Tick the box titled "Enable Stream Processing"

There will be a list of tick boxes in the area below, DVD-Decrypter will have a summery of the info about each one, the one that you want will be the
"Audio - LPCM / 2ch / English", not "AC3 / 6ch" or similar.

7)Tick only the box for the 2 channel audio stream.
8)Select the "Demux" option at the bottom.

Before hitting rip just check these few things.
A)Under the "mode" menu at the top, that the mode selected is IFO
B)Under "tools -> settings -> File mode tab" that in the options section the file-splitting option selected is "By Vob ID"

9)Hit "rip/decrypt" and wait for however long it takes (10-15 minutes for a 2 hour concert for me)

Now that youve ripped the audio from the disc to your computer it will (if it was an LPCM / 2ch track) be visible as wave files in the directory you chose earlier.

Before we move onto dealing with your ripped files, the only ones that you will need are the wave files - the other 3 small files can be safely deleted.

10)Look at the back of your dvd-case and rename the files as they appear in numerical order to correspond with the tracklisting (filename with 17 = track 17) in the case. You may wish to listen to each of them to confirm what it actually is as sometimes there will be little intro or outro tracks.
11)Use your program of choice to convert these wave files to your preferred playback format.
12)Fill in the information tags on your new files so that the artist info and other things shows up properly.
13)Your music dvd is now ripped, converted, polished and ready for easy and convenient access.
14)Enjoy.

Ive just done this with my new Jean-Michel Jarre DVD. Ace.

Possible complications:

These wave files will almost certianly be sampled at 48khz rather than the standard 41khz, if you experience playback issues because of this you will need to, when you convert to your new format, specify specifically that you want the files downsampled to 41khz.

Volume level: you may notice that the volume of these ripped files is lower than the volume of your ripped CDs, the solution here is either to use normalising of some kind or to put up with the inconveniance of music that hasnt been given a hugely raised noise floor and turn the volume up slightly.

May 18, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
1)Download and install DVD-Decrypter
2)Start it up.
3)Point it to the drive with your music dvd in.
4)Chose the folder than you want to rip the audio to.
5)Click on the Input tab and select the VTS_xx which is the main content (i.e. the one with the longest indicated playtime)
6)Click on the stream processing tab
7)Tick the box titled "Enable Stream Processing"

There will be a list of tick boxes in the area below, DVD-Decrypter will have a summery of the info about each one, the one that you want will be the
"Audio - LPCM / 2ch / English", not "AC3 / 6ch" or similar.

7)Tick only the box for the 2 channel audio stream.
8)Select the "Demux" option at the bottom.

Before hitting rip just check these few things.
A)Under the "mode" menu at the top, that the mode selected is IFO
B)Under "tools -> settings -> File mode tab" that in the options section the file-splitting option selected is "By Vob ID"

9)Hit "rip/decrypt" and wait for however long it takes (10-15 minutes for a 2 hour concert for me)

Now that youve ripped the audio from the disc to your computer it will (if it was an LPCM / 2ch track) be visible as wave files in the directory you chose earlier.

Before we move onto dealing with your ripped files, the only ones that you will need are the wave files - the other 3 small files can be safely deleted.

10)Look at the back of your dvd-case and rename the files as they appear in numerical order to correspond with the tracklisting (filename with 17 = track 17) in the case. You may wish to listen to each of them to confirm what it actually is as sometimes there will be little intro or outro tracks.
11)Use your program of choice to convert these wave files to your preferred playback format.
12)Fill in the information tags on your new files so that the artist info and other things shows up properly.
13)Your music dvd is now ripped, converted, polished and ready for easy and convenient access.
14)Enjoy.

Ive just done this with my new Jean-Michel Jarre DVD. Ace.

Possible complications:

These wave files will almost certianly be sampled at 48khz rather than the standard 41khz, if you experience playback issues because of this you will need to, when you convert to your new format, specify specifically that you want the files downsampled to 41khz.

Volume level: you may notice that the volume of these ripped files is lower than the volume of your ripped CDs, the solution here is either to use normalising of some kind or to put up with the inconveniance of music that hasnt been given a hugely raised noise floor and turn the volume up slightly.

hi..sorry for digging up this thread but I followed these instruction exactly, but the the program only extracted 1 large file and it was a .vob file.
I tried several times to ensure that the selected stream was the 2ch one but to no avail...

anyone has any advice? thanks!

May 18, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 22
I think DVD2AVI.exe does this quite well - rips the audio to a WAV file by default as far as I remember. May be hard to find online, though. Much of the DVD ripping software has disappeared due to lawsuits.

If you have access to more powerful software, ProCoder 2.0 will do this as well, legally, but for $$$ (dongle protected software)

Peter

May 18, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 22
Its not that difficult to find dvd2avi, but I just find the option of DVDdecrypter being better since it can split files according to vobID...

oh and dvd2avi seems to take VERY long for me to rip anything since I dont seem to be able to find the option to extract just the audio...

May 18, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 22
OK...Ive read thru a few guides, it seems that I AM supposed to get the AC3 files, but why is it that Duggeh says .wav as output?

is it because I need to downsample to 41khz as AC3 is 48?

May 19, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #10 of 22
OK...after many many tries, I still cannot get the tracks to "demux" into seperate files. there are a total of 17 chapters(songs) in the dvd but whenever I extract the AC3 files, theres only one 100+MB and a 70+MB file...

Ive tried both splitting by "VOBID" and "CHAPTER" but the results were all the same...
confused.gif

May 19, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #11 of 22
Just a wild guess.

Have you unchecked all the streams you do not want on the streams processing page?

You need have the stream you want selected and then click select demux for his particular stream.

I found this a bit counter intuitive at the first couple of uses.

Cheers

Thomas

May 19, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #12 of 22
thanks for the headsup Thomas...but yes I already did it...
here are some screenshots I took...it really can get pretty fustrating after soo many trial and errors...

1.jpg

2.jpg

and these are the files I got, the two *.wav files are what I get after I downsampled with another program, and after listening to them, both are part of the same concert, but with a split after track/chapter 10
4.jpg

I am suspecting something is wrong with my DEFAULT IFO settings so heres a screenie:
3.jpg

A big THANKS! for those who are taking time off to help me...

May 19, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #13 of 22
There are some variants on how these DVDs are structured and in your case it looks like the tracks are split by chapter. However, you have selected split by VOB-ID which is usually around 1GB and I assume you have two large *.vob files on that disc.

Try setting File Splitting to by Chapter id.

Cheers

Thomas

May 19, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #14 of 22
heh...I could have sworn I tried to split by chapters earlier but to no avail, but for some reason now, it now WORKS!!!

I guess its some of the so called "counter intuitive" ways the program goes about its settings...

A BIG THANK YOU to Thomas!
I can now enjoy Diana Krall Live in Paris w/o the DVD...
k1000smile.gif

Cheers folks...

May 19, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #15 of 22
one last question please...

ok now that I got my seperate AC3 files, Im now gona convert them into .wav.
say if im going to futher convert the wavs into flac, does it matter if I convert them into 48khz or 44.1khz wavs? and also for that matter does the bit rate matter? Ive tried several settings and increasing the sampling rate/bitrate increases the wavs file size by abit, and does play on foobar, but my concern is whether the 48khz/24bit files when converted to flac, would be able to be played by a portable DAP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back