Question about Asus STX digital out to DacMagic w/foobar2000
Feb 4, 2011 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

KLJTech

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm using the coaxial digital (true 75 Ohm cable) out from my Asus STX to a DacMagic with foobar2000 in Windows 7.  In the Xonar Control Panel I checked the box for SPDIF Out / PCM and when playing 24bit/96kHz music from foobar 2000 the incoming sample rate on the DacMagic shows 96 as it should.  The problem is (or what I don't understand) that within Foobar's settings it's still: "Output Device ASIO: Asus Xonar Essence STX ASIO"

If I change the Output Device to: DS: S/PDIF Pass-through Device (Asus Xonar Essence STX Audio Device) and play 24bit/96kHz music the incoming sample rate on the DacMagic goes down to 44.1 so I must have something set wrong within foobar 2000.

Am I suppose to install WASAPI or another item for foobar to give me bit-perfect digital output? I understand that the DacMagic was showing the correct sample rate before changing any settings from when I used the STX as a normal sound card to my preamp but I would think that it should be set for digital output rather than using the ASIO driver. 

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, I've asked Google and this forum every way I can think of but can't seem to find an answer.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 5
With the latest version of foobar2000 should the Output Device be set to:
KS: ASUS Xonar Essence STX Digital when using the coaxial digital out from my ASUS STX?

This seems to get the sample rate correct when playing 24/96 files. Just want to make sure that I'm setting up correctly.
Thanks.

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 5
KS (kernel streaming), ASIO, and WASAPI (if running vista or 7) are all valid ways of enabling a bit-perfect output.  Sounds like you've got it working just fine!

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 5
I had been using ASIO with just the ASUS STX but for some reason I thought I must need to change something in the output device for Foobar2000 since I am now using the digital out. It should have given me a clue when the sampling rate was changing on the DacMagic when I would go from playing 16/44.1 to playing 24/96 that all was fine. <grin>

I assume that kernel streaming and ASIO are equal since they are both bit perfect. I don't know if one has any advantage over the other.
Thanks for your feedback.

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 5
Like what skeptic said, you've got it working correctly.

Quote:
I assume that kernel streaming and ASIO are equal since they are both bit perfect. I don't know if one has any advantage over the other.

I hadn't notice it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back