Question about AKG K550
Jul 6, 2014 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Gehor Shutz

New Head-Fier
Before AKG K550 I had Sennheiser HD201 for years, and I wouldn't say that AKG is such an improvement over Sennheiser(apart from vocals they are noticeably better), unless I add volume, the more volume I add the better they sound. But thing is I'm not used to loud music, I can get a ringing in my ears quite easily.

I'm listening mostly to electronic music AAC 128, MP3 256, FLAC, and sometimes MP3 320 with laptop and creative x-fi go, and also with creative zen mozaic player.

Question, is this normal for closed back headphones, do they all sound more or less the same on low volumes?

Jul 6, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 10
If your K 550 don't sound like this:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone

you have a problem with the equipment/power that you are feeding them and/or getting a good seal.  This assumes that you have other than a defective pair.

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 10
 I'm a proud K550 owner. I've also heard the HD201 and the K550 is a significant upgrade. How long have you had them for? As KG Jag mentioned, some people have issues with the seal of the headphone although I have never experienced it. Mine also sound adequate on lower volume.

So to answer your question, no that is not normal for closed back headphones.

- Roy

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 10
Roy, would you say that K550 have substantially more bass than hd201? I feel like everything is drowning in bass, yet I can hear the details, or I just not got used to it?

I had them for a week now.

Jul 7, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 10
The HD 201 is base entry level can.  If I'm not mistaken, it is at the very bottom of the cans that Senn produces.  It has almost no bass--and that's judged from a neutral baseline. 

The K 550 is many tiers better.  It will give you far more and better bass than the HD 201, even if you have a bad seal on the K 550.

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #6 of 10
  The HD 201 is base entry level can.  If I'm not mistaken, it is at the very bottom of the cans that Senn produces.  It has almost no bass--and that's judged from a neutral baseline. 

The K 550 is many tiers better.  It will give you far more and better bass than the HD 201, even if you have a bad seal on the K 550.

I guess that's the thing, I'm not used to real bass. Good thing I haven't opted out for more bassier headphones like ath m50.

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 10
I feel like I'm trying to justify my expensive purchase, as hd201 still sound better for my ears, but I cannot explain why... Could it be sennheiser's signature? I've never tried other any sennheisers apart from earbuds.

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 10
  I feel like I'm trying to justify my expensive purchase, as hd201 still sound better for my ears, but I cannot explain why... Could it be sennheiser's signature? I've never tried other any sennheisers apart from earbuds.

Nope, but if you like it best (have no clue as to why) there is no sense in changing.

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #9 of 10
I just tried fiio e7 with them, and the change in sound is dramatic, WOW! Now I understand that k550 are simply too honest sounding and absolutely require a dedicated sound card to shine. The bass setting is epic as well.

ps. the screen protector was half peeled off, so much for showmanship, I hope the build quality got more attention.

Jul 16, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #10 of 10
I have both the HD201s and the K550s and the HD201s just sound terrible now. I still think they were decent for the money though. You may notice your K550s improve if you give them some burn in time. E.g leave them playing reasonably loud music overnight for 1 or 2 nights. That for me made the bass more pleasant to listen too. I noticed that the K550s really did loose their sound quality if not put into a decent source. I use the FiiO E10 and that goes very well with them. I also use them with the X3 a lot too.
It may just take a while if you are used to headphones that have very little bass. It is strange but my Audio Technica ATH-AD700s that I have, everybody says they are bass light, which they are but they have quite a bit more than the HD201s. The K550s have yet more bass still, but they aren't exactly bass heavy headphones.

It is good to know that you have now got a decent sound out of them with your E7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back