question about ad700
Sep 14, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #46 of 61
I'm not a Grado person, so keep that in mind. If you belong to Team Treble rather than Team Bass (I'm Team Bass) and want something very forward, aggressive and upfront, the Grado's might be the ticket. But I personally think the M50 is better than the SR80 in almost every way -- though that is per my tastes. And I tend to prefer dark, creamy and bassy cans.

However, since you mentioned the M50 is more your kind of sound -- moreso than the AD700 I assume? -- then for sure you will probably prefer an HD650 to an SR Grado. Though you will still probably be able to appreciate other cans. If you were able to appreciate the AD700, you should be able to like an SR Grado. But it wouldn't be your first choice. The HD650 sounds like it has the potential to be your #1 choice. It's not as forward as the M50 but then it's also not as congested-sounding (which IMO is the M50's only weakness).

You may also however like the Grado HF2. Which is very, very different from the SR series.

K701 is low impedance but the sound is quite low key. So most people tend to raise the volume high to get them to sound closer to what they're used to from other cans. For instance if you can listen to the M50s at 50% volume, you'd have to raise the K701 to about 90% to get the same volume level, and at that point you'll want to amp instead. 

Me, I tend to listen low volume and can appreciate the K701 at low volumes. I don't think they're as hard to drive as most people here say, but it's a fact that the resulting sound is softer than most other headphones using the same source and juice. 

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #47 of 61
Mochan,
I'm pretty sure I'm on the bass side (darker sound sign.). I can do and appreciate the treble, but my preference is M50 over ad700 for music.  As for the HD650,  what amp do you recommend around $100, I heard the mini^3 is great.  The cheaper the cost the better because I'm trying to invest on a good headphone first before purchasing a good amp. Heck, if I can get away with a fiio E5 I would do it. any suggestion Mochan would be helpful. 

k701 really do have a low volume output, that quit a difference in volume %.  So I'm assuming amp can give you higher volume and smooth sounds out a bit too? I'm I correct to assume? Also how does a DAC come into play with headphones?

I think grados are out of the question for now. How do you think beyers compare to these like t880/t770? I head the higher ohms one are the way to go. something like the 250 or 600 ohm. 

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #48 of 61
Hi soundeffect! Just wanted to know...if you boost your bass on the EQ can the ad700 compare to the m50? I'm stuck between ad700 and m50. From what have read, the ad700 bass is "quiet" but the heaphones are very comfortable. The m50 on the other hand have a clear and punchy bass but they are the "sweaty ears" type haha. I tried the m50 and loved the bass, so I was wondering if EQ-ing would make the  ad700 bass "better" or even comparable to the m50 
confused_face_2.gif
. Thanks!

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #49 of 61
i just got my ad700 and i have to tell you i am really liking them.  i just got an e5 amp to go with it too because i heard good things being paired with the ad700.  for 25 you cant go wrong.  but i hope it will help the bass and still keep the highs.  i will let you know in 2 days when i recieve it how it works out together.  but yeah the ad700 is really lacking bass.

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #50 of 61
Unknownsound,

Yeah EQing the ad700 does improve the bass, but nothing even close to the bass of the M50.  I'm not a big fan of EQing, but from what I read on other thread, it seems that other people like the way it sound after EQing. 

If you have the right size head, then the ad700 are definitely one of the most comfortable headphones.  I didn't realize I had a big head until I bought the ad700 and it fit me pretty well. I hear a lot of people struggling to get a good fit on there head.

as far as being torn between the two, you need to decided which type of sound you want from your new pair of headphones. To me they are two really different sounding headphones.  One is open and the other is closed, one is bright and the other is dark, one is more bass heavy and the other is bass little etc. you get the drift. I just got my ad700 last week and it turn out that I might either return them or sell them. It all depend on if I can return them or not. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I didn't like them, I just decided that I don't have enough time for both full size at home and came to a conclusion that a good solution is to trade them in for a portable (smaller size headphones) when I'm at college. I chose the M50 over the ad700 because I find that the M50 are darker and have a creamier sound to them plus they are more versatile than the ad700. I can't find a single song that I do not like the way how the M50 sound. It a preference thing.  For movies, I like the booming sound when there are explosion. again, it's a preference thing.

The sweaty ear situation, The m50 does give me sweaty ears after 30 mins. of listening, but my ears doesn't sweat a whole bunch. Just a little and that doesn't bother me much.  Its pleather, so I'm expecting.  The good thing is that you gain isolation, so you can be in the same room as someone watching tv and the tv doesn't interfere with you music.  As for the ad700, I get NO sweaty ears at all (indoor for both of course). I have listen to music and watch movies with them for 2-3 hours straight with no problem.  So comfort is definitely there.  The ad700 doesn't isolate sounds well, but its an open headphone..so I expected that is well.  The benefit is that I can listen to people calling me or talking to me while I'm listen to them at safe volume level.

If you are a bass type then the M50 would do better. If you are really into bass then the ad700 would most likely disappoint you.

What make you want the ad700 vs the m50 or vice versa? Since you heard the m50 before what do you not like about it? I'm just asking to see if I can answer it for you the best as possible.  If you have any question just ask me and I'll try to describe what I know.

jschristian44 seems to like the ad700 and can probable describe you better on what he thinks sound best for him with the ad700. Maybe that can help you also. He's a cool guy.

Both seems to be good headphones.

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #52 of 61
yeah the hd650, I want to hear it too. I head the are more refine than the ad700 and hd555 plus they have much better bass. I think by chrismas, I might try to grab me either a cmoy bb v2.0.2 or the mini 3. I hear so much good thing about the mini3, the only thing is that they cost more unless you build it yourself. Which of course you have experience with soldering. hey if you get an amp jschristian44, you should build one. It looks fun. I found a lot of tutorial on this website to diy. I don't know if it's worth it for me to do one since I have to buy solder and stuff and by investing on that I can order one at the same price. Although I heard it's good to build one to learn how amps work.

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #53 of 61
yeah dude a friend just told me about the mini 3 and sent me a link for the diy kit.  only 100 plus shipping maybe.  but yeah i have a homemade soldering station, solder, and everything.  if you buy the kit, i wouldn't mind soldering it all together because i will be doing mine if i ever get it.  id only make you pay for shipping both ways.  you can probably fit it in a medium flat rate box which should cost like 12 dollars around there so if you give me 30 dollars that will cover both way shipping plus leave me a few dollars for doing it for you.  unless you feel like spending 24 dollars for a soldering iron, 5 dollars for solder, a desoldering pump maybe, sponges for cleaning, etc.  it's up to you but here is the kit.
http://glassjaraudio.com/product.sc?productId=9&categoryId=2

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #55 of 61
Wow! that thing got power. pretty crazy! a sub? wow.

Hey actually amp2xpand told me that he has a solder and built the mini3 for $50. He told me to not buy the kit but to buy the parts yourself and it'll cost you a fraction of the price. I didn't ask him where to buy the parts, but I'm sure one of the thread should have it. I would love to you build me one right now, but I'm broke. lol, you see me trying to get rid of one of my headphones to buy another. haha. it sucks to be broke.

Hey does the fiio E5 helps with your headset? if I get desperate enough I might get an E5 sometime in oct.

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #56 of 61
dude, ready to get pumped to build an amp? check out this website.

http://www.tangentsoft.net/elec/movies/

lol, it seems a lot of fun. wish I got the money though. Gotta scrap up some cash and hopefully by xmas.

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #57 of 61
Hi sound, first..thank you for the post :) . I have been reading a lot of stuffs here and there and I really liked how more experimented head fiers help little newbies like me to make a choice for their first "good" headphones! That's the reason why I made an account.

As for the ad700 and m50, I think i might go for the m50 mainly because I like fact that the bass "supports" the other instruments and vocals instead of covering them (like my little hd415 does). I also like the boomy explosion sound and the deep bass in some movies' soundtracks
dt880smile.png
. The ad700 doesn't look like it has that "supportive" but not overwhelming bass. For the pleather pads, I found a mod wich consist to change them for the DT250 velour pads . Even though it might reduce the isolation, I hope that mod will keep my hear from sweating to much!

This will be my first jump for "good" headphones. You might have brought another victim into the audiophile hell!
wink.gif
  "Welcome to the slow and painful death of your wallet!" I read that somewhere on the forum haha. Oh well, m50 for now and maybe I'll be upgrading to better headphones someday who knows
tongue.gif
. I might wait for chrismas though, just to see if the price drops a bit. I live in canada and the lowest price I have seen so far is 190$...and I think it is around 100$ on amazon (US) meh. Anyway, thank you again for the detailed post!

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #58 of 61
you are welcome. You will find that the people on this forum are very helpful and kind which I find is nice compare to other forum I have seen.  I think you will find the pleather is not so bad as other may have spoken of.  I don't see them a problem.  The Dt250 mod I heard affects the sound signature just fyi.  But it might work for you.

I think your choice of the M50 will satisfy you especially as your first good headphone.  I like them a lot they are definitely a keeper for me even when later on in the future I end up buying even more headphone.  I went to this website to purchase just one set of headphones and now I'm hooked. 

Oh yeah, when purchasing headphones be careful of fake sets sold off of ebay. I'm not saying all of them are fake, but there are a lot especially audio technica. Even on websites and you be surprise at how close they can get the box and even sometime the headphones themself to looking like the real one.  Try looking it up on this website and you see all the fake headphones posting.  I read fake one's from amazon on here.

Have fun with your new equipment when you get them and hopefully I led you to the right direction.
atsmile.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #60 of 61
yeah I know what you mean.  I can't wait to jump to the next bracket in price 200-300 price range. if the $100 price range sound this good, I can't imagine the next bracket with an amp. Just for kicks, last night I went to my desk and grab some older headphones and earphones (the $25 dollars and below) that I had from years ago and man I was in it for a surprise. They were super aweful.  They had all kind of problem in different areas such as muffled, lack of bass, or just unrefined.  The koss headphone I tried actually sounded the best out of the bunch including some sony ones which I thought was interesting. I think Koss rely does well in the lower bracket. I also find apple earphones really does shine as far as free earphones that come with a cell phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back