Question about A818
Mar 12, 2008 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

numbskull

100+ Head-Fier
So, since sony players have proprietary cable, i would like to know if its possible to charge the A818 with a generic AC charger (like my iaudio U3)

Since i'm not carrying my laptop everywhere, i need to charge it with AC charger sometimes

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 14
i want to know if its possible to charge it with an AC charger that is not from Sony
I got an AC charger from Hama, and my iaudio charges normally with it
So this is what i want to know, will it be possible to charge the sony this way also?

since the sony has proprietary USB cable, it may not work, i don't know, so i need to know before purchasing it

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 14
Probably not, you'll have to pay for an official AC adapter. Price is pretty big too.

Even if the generic AC adapter does manage to fit in the slot somehow, the pins may not match up.

I did try connecting my A818 to a powered USB hub with the proprietary cable, and I don't think it charged for me. Even at 6V/9V. It did however turn on... but I don't know if it's actually charging...

Mar 12, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i want to know if its possible to charge it with an AC charger that is not from Sony
I got an AC charger from Hama, and my iaudio charges normally with it
So this is what i want to know, will it be possible to charge the sony this way also?

since the sony has proprietary USB cable, it may not work, i don't know, so i need to know before purchasing it

I don't get what you are asking. The 818 has a proprietary connection. Its not standard. Does any one other than Sony make a charger for the 818/ No idea. I would doubt it. Its a big negative for the Sony players, as you need to bring the cable on a long trip.

Mar 12, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably not, you'll have to pay for an official AC adapter. Price is pretty big too.

Even if the generic AC adapter does manage to fit in the slot somehow, the pins may not match up.

I did try connecting my A818 to a powered USB hub with the proprietary cable, and I don't think it charged for me. Even at 6V/9V. It did however turn on... but I don't know if it's actually charging...

Lots of USB ports and hubs are not up to spec. I don't think that has anything to do with numbskull's query here. You were using the correct cable so something else was wrong.

Mar 12, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 14
so, only way to charge it, is from computer?
frown.gif

i see sony has a $40 charger! this is too expensive

Mar 12, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so, only way to charge it, is from computer?
frown.gif

i see sony has a $40 charger! this is too expensive

You need a Sony A818 compatible cable AND compatible USB AC charger. Which ones work, or meet Sony's specs I have no idea.

I assume something like this would work
Amazon.co.uk: Sony AC to USB 5V power Adaptor: Electronics & Photo

Mar 12, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 14
How about a iPod wall adapter? One can plug a USB cable right into it.
I guess it comes down to the difference in the adapters.

Mar 12, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a iPod wall adapter? One can plug a USB cable right into it.
I guess it comes down to the difference in the adapters.

There must be someone here who as both that could try.

Mar 12, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There must be someone here who as both that could try.

There are lots of generic USB power adapters. I got one from Walmart for $5 (it was in the ipod section). You still need the Sony cable though, wich then plugs into the usb power adapter.

Mar 12, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are not always up to USB specs though. Some players are fussy about power specs.

In that case you can just return it. The one I got for $5 worked great with my A818 (I sold my A818 since I could not stand the hiss) and it works also great with my Zune 80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back