Queries regarding recabling/terminating of jacks
Oct 23, 2009 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Question2

100+ Head-Fier
If im not wrong, recabling means changing the cable itself, while terminating the jack only involves changing the jack.

My question is, will terminating the jack make the earphone more susceptible to damage? I have heard that the soldering of the cable to the new jack wont be as good as the factory one(easier for the cable to get pulled out)...on the other end i have heard the exact opposite, that it will last with no problems.

I have also heard that recabling will help fix damaged earphones due to loose connections at the jack area, similar to reterminating of jacks, but it will be more expensive(not sure how much more though) and unlike terminating of jacks, it wont cause the earphone to fail easier in the future.

Anyone familiar with this subject?

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 10
100+ people reading the forum and nothing?
frown.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 10
See http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/how...ep-pics-50729/.

Changing the jack should be easy, and if done properly won't affect the strength of the jack or cable. Soldering the cable to the jack doesn't introduce weakness, that's how it was made in the first place.

Changing the entire cable is more difficult, as it involves dismantling the headphones to get at the drivers. This is do-able in most large headphones, not so much in small portable phones, and not at all in earbuds/iems. You would have to send your phones to a pro to get those re-cabled.

Of course, you could do a partial re-cable (i.e. replace the cable between the jack and the Y-connector...

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 10
Currently i have a pair of crossroads HR2 that have a static/crackling sound issue in the right earbud. Will recabling fix the problem? If so, i can get it recabled at a shop and save some money...

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Currently i have a pair of crossroads HR2 that have a static/crackling sound issue in the right earbud. Will recabling fix the problem? If so, i can get it recabled at a shop and save some money...

I don't know. But surely the manufacturer would replace a defective product...

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 10
It doesnt have warranty anymore...either way the shop that sold it to me had to stop offering me warranty for this earphone due to my persistent problems with it. For some reason the right earbud would consistently fail on me after a short period of time(although stock earbuds would work fine for me), and i guess i sent it in too many times.

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #8 of 10
As long as the re-termination is done right and with adequate strain relief, the connection will last. Factory termination can fail, which is the case here.

With your phones, you need to find 'where' in the cable the connection has failed. If it's at the plug end, the fix is as simple as re-terminating it. If it's at the phone/earbud end, it gets more complex and a full re-cable is typically what people do to fix it.

Cheers!

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #10 of 10
If you move the jack around and the sound keeps changing, it's the jack at fault.
Crossroads earbuds has this thing about breaking jacks.

IMO a DIY jack is much stronger than stock jacks as stock jacks usually depend on the soldering point for it's strength without any strain relief from the jack wherelse DIY jacks have this metal clamp connected to the jack itself to relief stress from the soldering points giving it a very long life.

Picture0345.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back