Qudelix-T71 Thread | 8V RMS, PEQ & 7.1 Surround USB DAC/Amp
Nov 29, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #167 of 434
Does the T71 support the inline mic on the 3.5mm like on the 5K?

I can't even get the microphone to work, I enable "44.1x KHz witch MIC" or "48x KHz with MIC" in FS MODE and although the computer recognizes it, it doesn't output any sound, neither the pair of internal MEMS microphones nor other headphones I have with microphone.

Has anyone tried it? I've tried it on both Windows and macOS and nothing.

Dec 1, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #168 of 434
Wow! Starting to get really interested in this little device!
When I first read the product announcement on the qudelix website I was thinking they were missing the point of surround sound....
We humans discern the direction of sound via our ears. The frequency response changes with the direction we hear sound. Usually there is a notch at a certain frequency depending on the direction the sound is coming from. For example if you hear a sound directly from in front of you, there is a notch of around minus 7db at around 8khz with a high q value (depending on your anatomy the notch may be wider or at another position altogether!). If the sound is coming from above your head, this notch is on another position of the frequency band with another q factor. If a sound is coming from say 30 degrees out front you will have different amplitudes at both of your ears, also the sound will arrive a few ms later at the ear further away from the sound source. Plus you have the "notch" in the frequency response at a different area of the frequency band for each ear. This is how our human hearing works and gives us clear informations where a sound is coming from. The different frequency responses depending on the position the sound is coming from being called the hrtf (head related transfer function), the small time delays the sound is arriving at each ear being called the itd (inter time delay).

Now listening to a 7.1 system of loudspeakers your personal hearing (the notches in fr and the time differnces at your ears - specific to only your hearing!) will always give you the right directional cues. Putting that 7.1 speakers in ears seemed pointless to me, as your personal hearing is bypassed because the form of your ears and body are what forms the frequency response at your eardrums.

But: they give you the possibility to eq each channel for your personal hearing. So you should actually be able to get real spacial cues via in ear. Awesome!

The only problem being, that you would have to professionally get your hrtf measured for the 7.1 speaker positions... 🥴 And then apply the found eq to the respective channels.
Or they would have to supply some sort of calibration website or software for us users. Knowing qudelix, and how the software for the 5k has developed over the years, they probably will in the future. I am now officially totally amazed at what they are doing. Best company in audio ever!
The sheer amplifying power this little device is able to put out in stereo alone is already a strong selling point... Am going to closely watch this thread now and will probably buy it in the future.
Am not so sure of the necessity of the dedicated in ears though. If you get the correct frequency response for each channel for your personal hearing and "downmixing" it into the headphones/in-ears of your choice, the results should be perfect non the less...
Basically I think this is what dolby atmos does. It applies an avarage hrtf and itd and mixes it down to stereo.
Depending on how close to this avarage hrtf your personal hearing is this works well for you or not too well.
The great Innovation of this little device by qudelix beeing the possibility to tune the corresponding eq for each channel to your personal hearing.
This is also the problem - how to get to the correct eq? 🤔

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #169 of 434
When I first read the product announcement on the qudelix website I was thinking they were missing the point of surround sound....
We humans discern the direction of sound via our ears. The frequency response changes with the direction we hear sound. Usually there is a notch at a certain frequency depending on the direction the sound is coming from. For example if you hear a sound directly from in front of you, there is a notch of around minus 7db at around 8khz with a high q value (depending on your anatomy the notch may be wider or at another position altogether!). If the sound is coming from above your head, this notch is on another position of the frequency band with another q factor. If a sound is coming from say 30 degrees out front you will have different amplitudes at both of your ears, also the sound will arrive a few ms later at the ear further away from the sound source. Plus you have the "notch" in the frequency response at a different area of the frequency band for each ear. This is how our human hearing works and gives us clear informations where a sound is coming from. The different frequency responses depending on the position the sound is coming from being called the hrtf (head related transfer function), the small time delays the sound is arriving at each ear being called the itd (inter time delay).

Now listening to a 7.1 system of loudspeakers your personal hearing (the notches in fr and the time differnces at your ears - specific to only your hearing!) will always give you the right directional cues. Putting that 7.1 speakers in ears seemed pointless to me, as your personal hearing is bypassed because the form of your ears and body are what forms the frequency response at your eardrums.

But: they give you the possibility to eq each channel for your personal hearing. So you should actually be able to get real spacial cues via in ear. Awesome!

The only problem being, that you would have to professionally get your hrtf measured for the 7.1 speaker positions... � And then apply the found eq to the respective channels.
Or they would have to supply some sort of calibration website or software for us users. Knowing qudelix, and how the software for the 5k has developed over the years, they probably will in the future. I am now officially totally amazed at what they are doing. Best company in audio ever!
The sheer amplifying power this little device is able to put out in stereo alone is already a strong selling point... Am going to closely watch this thread now and will probably buy it in the future.
Am not so sure of the necessity of the dedicated in ears though. If you get the correct frequency response for each channel for your personal hearing and "downmixing" it into the headphones/in-ears of your choice, the results should be perfect non the less...
Basically I think this is what dolby atmos does. It applies an avarage hrtf and itd and mixes it down to stereo.
Depending on how close to this avarage hrtf your personal hearing is this works well for you or not too well.
The great Innovation of this little device by qudelix beeing the possibility to tune the corresponding eq for each channel to your personal hearing.
This is also the problem - how to get to the correct eq? �

Interesting argus.
Thanks.

Dec 1, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #170 of 434
I agree with you that The T71 is a very interesting device !!! For surround sound reproduction, whether something like the T71 is the correct approach or not is debatable: some are gonna say that the HRTF / IID /ITD processing shall be down upstream, and for other, onboard personalized processing is the correct approach. This is similar to the 5K EQ debate, and I believe there is no right or wrong answer.

The one thing I don’t quite get from the T71 is exactly what you pointed in your post: the T71 offers nothing to help me establishing my own personalized HRTF. Sure, I can eq each of the 8 individual channels... but, as you said, how do I get the correct eq? In my limited experience, if I try to do that “by ear”, I may be able to get close for say one movie scene, or a given surround track passage… until everything falls apart at the next scene / passage!
I thought the 8-channel amp & upcoming “T71 IEM” was a clue about how Qudelix was attempting to crack this HRTF nut: instead of equalizing each of the 8 channels to “model” a personalized HRTF, and down-mix the end result to 2-channel, I thought Qudelix had found a way to “mimic” (for lack of better term) the surround sound coming from 8 different speakers disposed around you with this new T71 IEM concept--something that would address (actually avoid) this whole HRTF channels eq topic altogether.
But from what Qudelix has shared so far, the T71 IEM appears to be a 4-channel “QX-Over”: 1x DD, 3x BA per side, with active crossover filters. It is an interesting concept for sure (active crossover filters have benefits over passive), but I don’t understand how it can help addressing this HRTF question: how do I eq each of the T71 IEM driver?

I guess, we shall wait and see when the T71 IEM is actually released...

Dec 7, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #171 of 434
Hey guys! Highly considering buying this, have a few questions.

Mixed use: iPhone 14 Pro Max + Windows
Equipment: Moondrop Variations/DT 1770 Pros

1.For iOS use, it is my understanding that EQ profiles can be set on PC into the T71, and i can apply the preset when using it on iOS through the buttons?
1a. For my iPhone, i need something like the Fiio LT-LT3 connected for it to work right?

2. Might be a dumb question, but does the T71 attempt to mimic surround sound, or something like that?
2a. Reason being i have Dolby Atmos enabled on both Windows and Apple Music, and i was wondering how the T71 interacts with those.
2b. As in it switches between surround sound and normal based on the audio it detects?? Or is that a manual button.

Thank you very much

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #172 of 434
Hey guys! Highly considering buying this, have a few questions.

Mixed use: iPhone 14 Pro Max + Windows
Equipment: Moondrop Variations/DT 1770 Pros

1.For iOS use, it is my understanding that EQ profiles can be set on PC into the T71, and i can apply the preset when using it on iOS through the buttons?
1a. For my iPhone, i need something like the Fiio LT-LT3 connected for it to work right?

2. Might be a dumb question, but does the T71 attempt to mimic surround sound, or something like that?
2a. Reason being i have Dolby Atmos enabled on both Windows and Apple Music, and i was wondering how the T71 interacts with those.
2b. As in it switches between surround sound and normal based on the audio it detects?? Or is that a manual button.

Thank you very much

I can only answer a few questions.

1) yes

1a) any usbc lightning cable will do

2) to date, the software does not yet have surround emulation algorithms

2b) yes, if it is set to 7.1 input

Dec 7, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #174 of 434
I've been using the T71 for a few days now, both with my Mac and iPhone -- it is quite a nifty device with more than ample power for all of my headphones / IEMs and the buttons are quite intuitive once you get the hang of them. The Chrome web app is also easy to use. I have to say that the usability of the software / interface, especially the EQ, blows away most DAPs and other audio devices I have used in the past.

My only con so far is that while the metal case feels high quality, it is quite slippery and a case is needed. There is a Dignis case available, but it is quite expensive with shipping. Hopefully, Qudelix will have an offical case soon.

Dec 7, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #175 of 434
I can only answer a few questions.

1) yes

1a) any usbc lightning cable will do

2) to date, the software does not yet have surround emulation algorithms

2b) yes, if it is set to 7.1 input
Thank you very much. I do have multiple official apple usb-lightning cables, i’ll see if they work first before ourchasing others.

Dec 8, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #176 of 434
Not my experience: the cable needs to have the correct “Apple chip”, otherwise it is for charger only…

By 'any' I mean that it does not have to have any particular optimizations to carry electric power,
because the T71 has an internal battery which,
when set to hybrid mode, does not require energy from the smartphone.

Clearly it has to be a working cable,
not necessarily an original Apple one.

Dec 8, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #177 of 434
Can anybody explain the sound tonality have this device...is smoother or more analytical crap? I search musicality dense smother sounds with good soundstage and nice treble without peaks more smoother one no sibilance and harshness and shouty sound?

Dec 8, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #180 of 434
Can anybody explain the sound tonality have this device...is smoother or more analytical crap? I search musicality dense smother sounds with good soundstage and nice treble without peaks more smoother one no sibilance and harshness and shouty sound?
This device doesn't have a tonality (like most delta sigma DACs).This is a transparent device.
You get what is in the recording and what your headphones FR gives you.
It's not a DAC job to alter the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back