Quality EQ apps for ipod/iphone/ipad
Feb 21, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #151 of 458
Ok, lots of questions I have to work through:

The equation in the blue screen is actually a diagram of the algorithm for the filter I use in Equalizer.

Yes, the save mode switch turns off once it is 'used' to make sure your playlist is saved the next time around. I am experimenting with other means of solving the problems you guys encounter (long start up times. BTW: its about 1 minute for every 1000 songs depending on what device. So I can see that 5000 songs can be quite a wait.)

ilikepoopie: When exactly does Equalizer crash? I have hard time getting it to crash on any of my devices, so if you could get me a quick step by step on what you do to crash it I would be able to find the problem. Please.

nywytboy68: can you get me a step by step on what you do to make Equalizer crash, please?

nonsupremous: can you get me a step by step on what you do to make Equalizer crash, please?

geremy: There is a lot of misconceptions in your post, so I go and clear things up:
"If you add more than 1 album to the equalizer playlist at a time (say, all albums of a single artist, or all albums in your library), the songs are sorted alphabetically by song title and there is no way to re-sort them except manually."
This is not correct. All songs are sorted in the order you add them to the playlist. So if you add all songs of album A and then all songs of album B, the playlist contains all songs of Album A in the order of the album and then all songs of album B in the order of the album. Please go ahead and check for yourself.

As for the shuffle button, I hear you and I will add a undo shuffle function to revert back to the last playlist before shuffle was hit. Expect it in the next update, ok?

Equalizer supports full retina support. I don't know why you would say it doesn't.

As to sine-sweep function and pink noise generator: can you elaborate more in detail what you are looking for? I like to add little tweaks like that and would love to make your life easier. So a better description of how you would want to use it would be great!

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #152 of 458
Hi,

Yes, if you add the albums individually, the songs are in the correct order.  However if you go to your library, and hit 'artists', then select an artist in which you have more than one album (most of them) the library view shows their album by order of release year.  If you were to hit play it would go through the multiple albums, song by song correctly.  However, in equalizer if you hit 'add all', all of the songs are added to the playlist in alphabetical order by sound title.  So in other words if I want to play all 10 Led Zeppelin albums, and hit the add all button once I have found Led Zeppelin in my library, the songs will not be in the correct order.  I understand that usually you wouldn't do this, but even if the artist has only 2 or 3 albums it still gets sorted incorrectly.

I'm surprised to hear you say that equalizer supports full retina, because the icon is seems low resolution and appears very pixelated on my iphone 4 screen.  Certain icons at the bottom of the waveform display (settings for example) also look very pixelated.  Maybe it's just a flaw with those particular images, the waveform does look very clean.  Those images, along with the diagonal striping made me think that it was running in low res.

Regarding the sine-sweep/pink noise generator, if you read the first (very long) post in this excellent thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial you will see where I'm coming from.  The sine sweep is used to change the equalization to ensure that all frequencies share roughly the same volume. 

Thanks for the response btw.  I will go back and edit my itunes review to take out the part about the retina display.

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #153 of 458
Oh, and since you are listening, while browsing the library the alphabet touch keys on the right side (in place of a scrollbar) are not available in equalizer.  Browsing a large library is more difficult without them.

Thanks again!

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #154 of 458
Hi Geremy,

I am surprised you would say that.
When I go in my iPod app and select an artist (Led Zeppelin) and then the first album and hit play, it plays that album in order, song by song, but it will not go on to play the next album. After that album it just stops. Can you please give me a step by step on how you do it?

In the mean time, while I cannot get the iPod app to do what you suggest, I *can* get Equalizer to do it. How?

1) clear your playlist (if you have one set)
2) tap the plus icon
3) go to artist and select 'Led Zeppelin'
4) select the first album, hit add all songs
5) hit done and play (you are listening to your music now)
6) tap the plus icon again, go to artist and select 'Led Zeppelin'
7) select the next album, hit add all songs
8) repeat 7) until you have all your albums added
9) hit done and enjoy

Elaborate? yes. but still better then not being able to do it at all.

As a heads up: I am currently implementing the iPod app way of playing songs as there seems to be a big demand for it. It will be a setting where you can select between the Equalizer playlist and the iPod app behavior.

As well as a 'shuffle undo'
I can see that coming in handy.

The sine sweep/pink noise is something I am very interested in implementing. Thanks for linking to the tutorial! I think I can do something like that.

EDIT: I noticed there is a 'play all songs' button on the iPad but there is no such thing on the iPhone or iPod. Isnt' that interesting?

Quote:
Hi,

Yes, if you add the albums individually, the songs are in the correct order.  However if you go to your library, and hit 'artists', then select an artist in which you have more than one album (most of them) the library view shows their album by order of release year.  If you were to hit play it would go through the multiple albums, song by song correctly.  However, in equalizer if you hit 'add all', all of the songs are added to the playlist in alphabetical order by sound title.  So in other words if I want to play all 10 Led Zeppelin albums, and hit the add all button once I have found Led Zeppelin in my library, the songs will not be in the correct order.  I understand that usually you wouldn't do this, but even if the artist has only 2 or 3 albums it still gets sorted incorrectly.

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #155 of 458
Hmm

In my AddSongsPrompt, if I hit artists->Led Zeppelin I then see all of the albums
Before entering a specific album (still at artists->Led Zeppelin) there is a button above all of the albums that says "Add All Songs".  This is on an iphone 4.  It will add all of the Led Zeppelin songs from all of the Led Zeppelin albums to my playlist, but they will be in alphabetical order by song title, instead of as they appear on the albums themselves.  So my step-by-step would be the following:

1) clear your playlist (if you have one set)

2) tap the plus icon

3) go to artist and select 'Led Zeppelin'

4) hit the 'add all songs' button at the top of the album list

This is on a iphone 4, with iOS version 4.2.1 (8C148).

That's great that you are adding the additional functionality!   I have another question, if I accidentally imported a song into equalizer (using the import mode) is there a way to delete it?  Thanks.

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #156 of 458
Ok, your step by step would play the songs in alphabetic order. But didn't you want to play them in album order?
How do you do that (play several albums in album order) in the iPod app on iPhone or iPod?

To delete a song, just tap on the name of the song and hit the action menu button (top right). pick delete and you're done.

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #157 of 458
Well I see your point. I have never used the ipod app itself very much. But I can do it in your competitor's app.  Maybe it's not something you have much control over.

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #161 of 458
Audioforge - There really isn't a step by step to it unfortunately.  It only happens on random songs.  I will keep trying to play the song and then it crashes.  I reopen and try to play the same song and it crashes again.  So I skip a song and it plays just fine.  I haven't noticed whether it's only happening on certain songs.  I don't think I have any DRM protected songs still in my itunes library, but that could possibly be it.  It hadn't occured to me to even check yet.  I am not even sure if that would matter.  I don't think you can load any DRM protected songs on the EQu app, so I didn't even think to ask. 

Other than that issue, I think you have a tremendous app here.  Minor tweaks at this point.  Getting it to be fully compatible with the Ipad so that I can get a clean full screen would be awesome. 

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #162 of 458
Hi Audioforge.
Good work with this App. It makes my 2G Touch enjoyable to listen to.
Ive been very happy with version 2.13 of "Equalizer" it is very stable on the 2G Touch.
I couldn't resist to try 2.25 though now it only runs the 3 bands, however every 2nd song it chops it up. If i hit pause and play it plays that song fine, but then the next song chops it up again (maybe its just the processing power).
I really like the new interface, but Ive had to go back to 2.13 again. If you can fix this bug with my 2G I'd love to go 2.25 again.

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #163 of 458
Machiventa: I am working on the alphabet index.

nonsupremous: As you would suspect, DRM'd songs are not working but what you encounter might be something else. Could you try and see once you identify a song that crashes, if that very same song always crashes or if it is an intermittent thing, please?

paulypaul: I am surprised you have problems from 2.13 to 2.25. My 2G testers all said the 2.25 was as good as ever. Now, I am working on background optimization (I have not experienced any skipping at all, with very heavy other app usage). This will benefit the 2G group for sure. Let me know if you would like to be part of my beta test group. 

Feb 26, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #164 of 458
There's some really awesome updates coming in the next Equalizer version. The stability has really been ironed out.... it only stutters every now and then with the beta I'm running so I would imagine Tibor is going to tweak it to be even better. Playlist/Library handling has been improved and includes alphabetical browsing. There's an undo shuffle option now. Tibor took my suggestion for moving the progress bar down, so you know this guy listens to feedback. This is an awesome app now and I'm not even using EQu anymore. Although I hope EQu can improve their app because I really like it.

Hey Tibor is there a song limit with Equalizer? I thought I read someone saying it can only handle 3,000 tracks or so.

Feb 26, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #165 of 458

Quote:
There's some really awesome updates coming in the next Equalizer version. The stability has really been ironed out.... it only stutters every now and then with the beta I'm running so I would imagine Tibor is going to tweak it to be even better. Playlist/Library handling has been improved and includes alphabetical browsing. There's an undo shuffle option now. Tibor took my suggestion for moving the progress bar down, so you know this guy listens to feedback. This is an awesome app now and I'm not even using EQu anymore. Although I hope EQu can improve their app because I really like it.

Hey Tibor is there a song limit with Equalizer? I thought I read someone saying it can only handle 3,000 tracks or so.

Great news bro, I can't wait!!! And I think it was Marv who mentioned the 3600 track limit issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back