Quality, 21st Century Hip-Hop:
Apr 12, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #16 of 40
I'm gonna third the sage francis recommendation.

I like a few Buck 65 songs, like Protest...that's a good one.

As for "mainstream" rap, I like T.I. and Bohagon the most lately...Young Jeezy's alright. Most of the decent rap I've found lately can be found at mixfiend.com...on compilations from DJ Smallz and DJ Drama, also Tapemasters Inc. That's where the real hip-hop beez, ya'llz.

Apr 13, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #18 of 40
Some great recs here guys-thanks.

Apr 13, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by eastsidemetalhd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The album Cage dropped on Def Jux (Hell's Winter) was awesome, too.

Yeah, as far as 'normal' albums go, I think it's my second favourite on the label - Falling in behind Cannibal Ox's The Cold Vein. Of course, as I said before Lif's my favourite by a large margin.

Also, as Blinx mentioned, Sage Francis is great. Listened to some of his stuff on his website and it's great. Blinx also recommended Personal Journals, which is absolutely stellar.

Pick up some of Sage's stuff, you won't regret it. Same caliber as El-P except more lyrical, in my opinion.

Apr 13, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, as far as 'normal' albums go, I think it's my second favourite on the label - Falling in behind Cannibal Ox's The Cold Vein. Of course, as I said before Lif's my favourite by a large margin.

Also, as Blinx mentioned, Sage Francis is great. Listened to some of his stuff on his website and it's great. Blinx also recommended Personal Journals, which is absolutely stellar.

Pick up some of Sage's stuff, you won't regret it. Same caliber as El-P except more lyrical, in my opinion.

If you like lif you should check out his small appearance on Edan's Beauty and the Beat. Great album by the way. Y'all should check it out as well as the album I mentioned above (Curse ov Dialects - wooden tongues). I pretty much agree with most of the recommendations.

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #21 of 40
talib_kweli_and_madlib_liberation_download.jpg

it's good.

Apr 15, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #23 of 40
am i the only one that really enjoyed outkast's speakerboxxx/the love below? there's definitely some filler but overall there's plenty of gems. but yeah, other than that i think we've covered it; even some albums i've never heard of. to the cd warehouse...

Apr 16, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
am i the only one that really enjoyed outkast's speakerboxxx/the love below?

Totally unrelated to outkast, but the tripple x reminds me of Bubba Sparxxx, which also reminds me of Haystak.

I think Haystak's one of the better rappers in terms of giving out packed cds -- packed with good beats, original lyrics. He's gotta ton of good songs...I've heard a ton of 'em, but for some reason I've only got some ok songs by him:

Country Thang (actually LB feat Haystak), Dollar, Been Stoned Kids, Cool People, All By Myself.

I'd definitely try his newer stuff before trying the older stuff, tho.

Apr 16, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #25 of 40
I don't really listen to hip-hop, but I do like some good reggae. Damian Marley (yes, Bob's son) is a bit less laid-back than Bob, but good. More rap-like. I recommend:

There for You
Hey Girl
Beautiful
Welcome to Jamrock
The Master Has come Back
Road to Zion
Still Searching

Apr 16, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #27 of 40
Definitely check out Jurassic 5.

I love all their albums, but here is my order of preference:
Quality Control
Power In Numbers
Feedback

Apr 16, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #28 of 40
I've heard of Jurrasic 5 several times before...they must be good.

RJD2 is waayy friggin' hot...all his songs make me wanna drive like a maniac when I'm passing thru Atlanta on I-85.

Also, Flipsyde has a few AWESOME songs: Someday, Angel, & US History.

I highly recommend anybody looking at this thread to listen to those songs...Flipsyde has some fantabulous songs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back