Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
May 4, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #2,146 of 2,156
If I stream from the iOS Qobuz app on my iPhone 14 over AirPlay on my WiFi network, is this streaming the audio lossless?

I’ve tried to look online but I hear talk about AirPlay 1 and Airplay 2. I literally have no I idea which version of AirPlay the iOS Qobuz app is using.

There’s no mention of which version I’m using, I just see what it shows in the two images below.

Update: found an answer on Qobuz website.

So it is, but it’s limited to 48khz, unless I use a device with built in Google cast/ chromecast

Attachments

• IMG_3139.png
    IMG_3139.png
    125.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3140.png
    IMG_3140.png
    678.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #2,147 of 2,156
Unfortunately, no. Apple seems to have prioritized streaming to multiple endpoints at lossy rates rather than lossless streaming to a single endpoint from iOS. However, it appears to be possible to stream at 16/44.1 via AirPlay from a Mac but only if the endpoint is selected in the System Settings, not from the streaming app itself. That is, unless things have changed since last year. (This is all incredibly stupid.)

EDIT: Darko claims that the Qobuz iOS app can force 16/44.1 lossless streaming via AirPlay 1 in the iOS app (indicated by a check mark in iOS AirPlay settings vs. check mark inside a circle):
https://darko.audio/2023/10/apple-airplay-isnt-always-lossless-sometimes-its-lossy/

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #2,148 of 2,156
Unfortunately, no. Apple seems to have prioritized streaming to multiple endpoints at lossy rates rather than lossless streaming to a single endpoint from iOS. However, it appears to be possible to stream at 16/44.1 via AirPlay from a Mac but only if the endpoint is selected in the System Settings, not from the streaming app itself. That is, unless things have changed since last year. (This is all incredibly stupid.)
Maybe you’re right, but it says this on Qobuz site though. Either way it’s still not lossless if you’re playing hi-res files.

IMG_3141.png

May 4, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #2,149 of 2,156
Maybe you’re right, but it says this on Qobuz site though. Either way it’s still not lossless if you’re playing hi-res files.

IMG_3141.png
Yeah, that might be accurate. I've updated my earlier post with a link to someone's testing of AirPlay throughput through different combinations.

May 4, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #2,150 of 2,156
May 5, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #2,151 of 2,156
I typically use Audirvana on a PC as my audio player. It's been down today due to a MS/Azure issue in Europe so this is my first time spending time with the Qobuz app on PC. I must say, it's a disappointment. The player itself is trash. At least it supports exclusive mode so I can try and fix some of it's awful screech on the RME. I definitely would not be a subscriber if I had to use this every day.

Last edited:
May 5, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #2,152 of 2,156
I typically use Audirvana on a PC as my audio player. It's been down today due to a MS/Azure issue in Europe so this is my first time spending time with the Qobuz app on PC. I must say, it's a disappointment. The player itself is trash. At least it supports exclusive mode so I can try and fix some of it's awful screech on the RME. I definitely would not be a subscriber if I had to use this every day.
Qobuz works with Roon also but Audirvana has the best audio quality by far.

May 5, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #2,153 of 2,156
Qobuz works with Roon also but Audirvana has the best audio quality by far.
I agree, but Audirvana should really have a contention so that the application can operate when the license servers are down. Their support is a clown show too. I endure their bullsh*t for the very reason that you cite, but one day that won't be enough.

May 8, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #2,155 of 2,156
Quick question. I have an iBasso DX320 DAP,
What's the best way to find the settings so my downloads aren't discontinued? I have a terrible internet connection and am trying to use offline listening. Thanks ahead.
It's simple enough. Go to settings then imports/downloads to choose your quality. Then go to settings/storage to choose your internal or external memory. Then you are good to go. All you have to do is select an album or a playlist and click the little down arrow icon below the album/song title. It will then start to download. You can play your downloads by choosing 'IMPORTS' on the bottom tool bar in the app. I hope that helps.

May 8, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #2,156 of 2,156
It's simple enough. Go to settings then imports/downloads to choose your quality. Then go to settings/storage to choose your internal or external memory. Then you are good to go. All you have to do is select an album or a playlist and click the little down arrow icon below the album/song title. It will then start to download. You can play your downloads by choosing 'IMPORTS' on the bottom tool bar in the app. I hope that helps.
I knew all that, it’s just my actual downloads keep stopping and never restarting when the internet picks back up. I’m on android 11, just thought their might be an android setting or tweak somewhere hidden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back