QLS QA361 impression thread
Apr 5, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #302 of 325
Hi, as I already mentioned a few posts ago, there is a new wav-only firmware 1.0.6.
This fw was supplied to me by QLS support directly.
1.0.6 is the fimware I’m using. Do you know if ther is some functions not working on that version? I tested the digital out but had no success. And I can’t really hear any difference in sound between the amp settings: Normal, Large Current, High Voltage and Double High. The same thing applies to the tuning mode. My thinking was that 1.0.6 was a striped firmware version.

Apr 5, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #303 of 325
1.0.6 is the fimware I’m using. Do you know if ther is some functions not working on that version? I tested the digital out but had no success. And I can’t really hear any difference in sound between the amp settings: Normal, Large Current, High Voltage and Double High. The same thing applies to the tuning mode. My thinking was that 1.0.6 was a striped firmware version.
I never tried the digital out. All I know is that you need a special cable wiring (see qls page).
As I understand the amp settings only effect the headphone out and balanced out. Not the line out.
On the two headphone out there is a very subtle difference in amp mode when you listen with higher impedance headphones (>150ohms).
I had a small blind test session with my son (10 years old and nearly new ears 😂) and he agreed that with double high there is more stable bass that with i.e. high voltage mode.
This effect is very subtle.
When I tried the wav1.0.6 the first time after listen to the wav1.0.4 and 1.0.5 for more than two weeks (daily about 3-4 hrs), there was a obvious advantage in clarity with wav1.0.6.
It was some kind of awakening for me because I never had a feeling about how I can recognize the impact of jitter. But wav1.0.6 was the answer: there is much less jitter.
Try to listen to wav1.0.5 for two weeks and then switch to wav1.0.6 and stay on the same playlist. You will get what I mean. And then remember yourself that all the superior and positive reviews out there based on fw wav1.0.4 /1.0.5.
It’s crazy.

May 8, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #308 of 325
I never tried the digital out. All I know is that you need a special cable wiring (see qls page).
As I understand the amp settings only effect the headphone out and balanced out. Not the line out.
On the two headphone out there is a very subtle difference in amp mode when you listen with higher impedance headphones (>150ohms).
I had a small blind test session with my son (10 years old and nearly new ears 😂) and he agreed that with double high there is more stable bass that with i.e. high voltage mode.
This effect is very subtle.
When I tried the wav1.0.6 the first time after listen to the wav1.0.4 and 1.0.5 for more than two weeks (daily about 3-4 hrs), there was a obvious advantage in clarity with wav1.0.6.
It was some kind of awakening for me because I never had a feeling about how I can recognize the impact of jitter. But wav1.0.6 was the answer: there is much less jitter.
Try to listen to wav1.0.5 for two weeks and then switch to wav1.0.6 and stay on the same playlist. You will get what I mean. And then remember yourself that all the superior and positive reviews out there based on fw wav1.0.4 /1.0.5.
It’s crazy.
Thanks for the information. I’ll have to dig into how to get a cable wired the right way. I want to test line out to mojo1. And maybe test Mojo2 the same way.
I was looking for a player without WiFi or Bluetooth. And I’m so glad I found QA361. I understand that not everyone is willing to have a player with that minimal functions. But for me that’s not a problem. It’s a trade I gladly do. And I think the constructors really understand how to get the best sound possible.

I really like this player. I think it sounds wonderful. My setup is usually: QA361 (1.0.6) -> Lavricables Grand -> Audeze i4.

It took a long time for me to understand that I needed different sizes of the tips on the i4 to get the right tonal balance for me. But I now remember that Audeze said that in the manual :)

May 9, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #309 of 325
Thanks for the information. I’ll have to dig into how to get a cable wired the right way. I want to test line out to mojo1. And maybe test Mojo2 the same way.
I was looking for a player without WiFi or Bluetooth. And I’m so glad I found QA361. I understand that not everyone is willing to have a player with that minimal functions. But for me that’s not a problem. It’s a trade I gladly do. And I think the constructors really understand how to get the best sound possible.

I really like this player. I think it sounds wonderful. My setup is usually: QA361 (1.0.6) -> Lavricables Grand -> Audeze i4.

It took a long time for me to understand that I needed different sizes of the tips on the i4 to get the right tonal balance for me. But I now remember that Audeze said that in the manual :)
This is what I use. It's not the best quality cable in the world, but it does the job. Pick one of the 3.5mm (4 pole) options.
https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/custom-cable-cc35-3.5mm-coaxial-cable.html

May 16, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #310 of 325
helloo!

Does anyone know what i have a version of 361?: buttons more black(darker) than a housing.

Sep 9, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #311 of 325
20220908_114252.jpg

VE8 + Dunu Hulk Pro and the 3.5mm TRRS jack from Hulk first gen. cable

20220825_180416.jpg

A8000 + Dunu Blanche and the 3.5mm TRRS jack from Luna's stock cable ^^

I might be late to the QA361 party, but man what a great piece

Sep 10, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #313 of 325
Have a question about QA 360. Couldn't find the topic on it.
What is the self-discharge term for it?

Sep 19, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #314 of 325
Have a question about QA 360. Couldn't find the topic on it.
What is the self-discharge term for it?
I have the QA361 since April 2021 and use it round about 2 - 3 days per week. Accummulated round about 50 charge cycles. I counted the operating hours the last week with my Technics TZ700 in balanced mode (by the way very awesome and underrated IEMs!). Using following settings - large current, low gain - with volume around 35 - 40, I reach 6 hours playtime. According to the manual it's a good value (10h minus 10% for balanced and minus 20% for large current = 7h). So the battery capacity of my QA361 is around 85% from new condition. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back