qls mub 1
Oct 17, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #91 of 181
Sorry .. but, I am talking about analog amp part, it is severely clipping and really easy to catch with such track with low frequencies as you gets monstrous cuts like with most of my portable amps or daps unable to provide enough juice at 26 ohms like DCA Stealth with Centrance M8V2, A&K Kann Alpha, Xduoo XD05, FIIO M11, NW-WM1A ..
Till now, I don't have any clipping with FIIO M17, Centrance Ampersand and Less BX2+ ..
The MUB1 V1.0 can't provide enough juice with it's 2x1W @ 32ohms. under 26ohms.. instant clipping 100% of the times.

NB I still own all these stuff to control what I say..
Out of curiosity, I listened to that track…super deep bass indeed, nice song actually and sounds fine. My Ronins are pretty sensitive, though.

Oct 18, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #93 of 181
Asking for MUB1 to driver stealth on battery is bit too much.

What you need to do is to plug it into external power supply, disable charge setting and you will have a better chance of sonic improvement.
Indeed. What @newworld666 described is most certainly not clipping (clearly audible in high frequencies), but the battery not being able to supply enough juice.

Oct 18, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #94 of 181
MUB1 has really gotten my attention, it has been too long since I've felt positive about a product.

I'll try the USB out tomorrow, BT sound is honestly so good. This proves how important amplification circuitry is. Having the latest DAC with inferior amp is far worst than having highly optimised amplification circuit with less cutting edge dac chip.

Oct 18, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #95 of 181
Asking for MUB1 to driver stealth on battery is bit too much.

What you need to do is to plug it into external power supply, disable charge setting and you will have a better chance of sonic improvement.

I just tried with direct power USB not charging ... with a Sony MDRZ7M2 no clipping for ultra lows in high gain mode ..
Plannars like DCA Stealth are totally another story.. I will try again at home, but I don't intend to use such DAC/AMP permanently powered via USB.

Anyway, I was not expecting that much from such a light and compact DAC/AMP .. my target is to get at least a NW-WM1A in a very compact format for some of my favourites IEMs ..

Oct 18, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #96 of 181
I just tried with direct power USB not charging ... with a Sony MDRZ7M2 no clipping for ultra lows in high gain mode ..
Plannars like DCA Stealth are totally another story.. I will try again at home, but I don't intend to use such DAC/AMP permanently powered via USB.

Anyway, I was not expecting that much from such a light and compact DAC/AMP .. my target is to get at least a NW-WM1A in a very compact format for some of my favourites IEMs ..
I'm currently using this with some very interesting result. It might be worth the try.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004326091429.html

Oct 18, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #98 of 181
Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #99 of 181
I haven't heard VR1 sound this good in a while.
This got me thinking if key for VR1 is high stable current?

20231019_091822.jpg

Oct 19, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #100 of 181
I tried the MUB1 today and it is pretty amazing. I paired with Elysian Gaea on 4.4, high gain and NOS. Bold bass and great sound, I really enjoy this small device. But I won't say it is better than the Gryphon. Gryphon is an excellent device and pack with functions. MUB1 did a good job to pack so much power into a small package, overall it is a great portable device for IEM.

I tried Meze Liric on Super High gain via 3.5, pretty bad pairing. big no for me.
Out of interest what made it a bad pairing with the Liric?

Oct 19, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #101 of 181
Has anyone compared it with ifi xdsd gryphon?

Oct 19, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #102 of 181
Oct 19, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #105 of 181
Has anyone compared it with ifi xdsd gryphon?
I haven't compared them directly side-by-side, but have owned both. I sold my Gryphon several months prior to buying MUB1. Personally, I found it a bit too warm and soft-edged for my tastes. The XBass feature was kind of fun and helped "fix" deficiencies in certain IEMs (VE Elysium, for example), but I didn't find it paired as well with a broad range of IEMs. I never found a good use for some of the other features, such as IEMatch and XSpace.

I find the form factor and overall sound from the MUB1 suits my requirements and tastes more closely than Gryphon. YMMV, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back