Q701 impressions thread
Feb 27, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #601 of 9,603
I bought from Amazon seller last week for $250US - they were sent to a friend in MI before he re-posted to me, Sydney Australia. Tracking the shipping as I type - they were last seen passing through Chicago. I am hoping that they will touch down by Friday. FYI the shipping cost me $40 odd which once converted in total cost me $265AUD for that is retailing at $389AUD ($415US). 

I know I have the E17 to pair with these but I cannot help but wonder if I should talk to John at JD Labs for a custom CMoy? I have a general unit of his that I am looking at having upgraded to the recharge plus tailored for my SE 215 - so at the same time I thought that a bespoked CMoy would be fitting.

Thoughts?

Wormwood

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #603 of 9,603

Quote:

I don't know if you can see the meters on my amp but with the Qs playing good and loud they are drawing a lot of power. Ozzy Osbournes "Crazy Train" was playing when I took the pic so I put the Qs on and wow,these things can rock! I usually listen to trance, dark ambient etc. so crazy train was a welcome surprise. It reminded me of when I was young and my friend called me up all excited that I had to get over to his house right away. When I got there he rushed me into the living room, slapped his headphones on me, and blasted "Bark At The Moon" straight through my head.

The meters can be rather deceiving,
They actually read voltage and are usually referenced to 8 ohm speakers.
The headphone jack usually has an extremely high output impedance.
When you take all this into account, the 'phones are actually getting a few milliWatts. 

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #605 of 9,603

Quote:
I think the 10% is correct too. The K702 just isn't as fun to listen to, but still good (I did prefer the K601). 1% difference is just crazy...
We'd have to all be morons to get a Q701 for a 1% difference and even go as far as post in it's own thread.
biggrin.gif

To me, it feels just wrong to even post in the other thread since it really just sounds like a totally different headphone. You say your new Q701 is nice and warm sounding and they'll laugh you right out of there...

I think the difference is actually much greater than going from an HD-580 (stock) to the HD-600. Even the HD-600 to HD-650. I would say it's similar to the HD-555 to the HD-598.
People say there is no way anyone who hates the K702 could like the Q701, but now I don't think this is true. Maybe.

10% might even be too low. No, seriously..I just don't want anyone going out and selling their K702's and getting a Q701 and being disappointed.

Maybe 1% is a bit too low too some people, but 10% is definitely do too high. Difference might not even be 10% between old K701's and Q701's, but new K701's and Q701's are virtually identical, difference is much smaller than between HD600 and HD650 for example. I haven't spend a lot of time with both, maybe half an hour with each in store before buying Q701 (which I bought mostly because of a removable cable), but as far as I heard, there was no difference, but what I heard is not important in this case. Now, maybe there is a difference after burn in,  but still, 10% is A LOT when we talk about sound. Especially when we're talking about headphones that are made of identical parts and have been called virtually identical by anyone who's measured them side by side. Don't look at headroom graphs, their K701 (and K702) graphs are old.  K701's have been revised twice, once probably before K702 came out, and once before Q701 came out, and that last revision of K701 are sold at the moment as Q701's.  Look at Tyll's graphs for example. He measured both new headphones with identical gear, identical burn-in times and in identical conditions, and they were virtually the same, differences in frequency responses were less than 1 db and became even smaller after longer burn in periods. 

I've talked to the guy who owns the store where I bought my Q701's,  that store is also an official AKG importer for my country, and he has direct connections to AKG, has been using their gear for years and had K701's since they were first released. He told me personally that new K701's and old K701's are slightly different (more bass, less treble) but new K701's are identical to Q701's.  Also, most importantly, whoever, including me, sent email's to AKG support asking whether there is a difference in sound, they got a "No" for an answer...now, if people who manufacture headphones know less than those who buy them, then we live in a crazy world.

The only difference is the badge on rear grill, and frankly, its just silly to think that it would make a big difference in sound.  I mean, put your headphones on your head and play some music.  Now put a finger on the grill and cover a portion of it. Do you hear a 10% difference in sound? No. You hear a much greater difference if you push on the headphones to compress ear pads and move the drivers closer to your hear, that is a difference (still not 10%), but covering a portion of grill makes virtually no difference and I would bet that if someone had their eyes closed and someone else sneaked up behind them and covered a portion of the grill, they wouldn't notice.   I mean, on HD650's which have a completely opened back, I have to cover the entire grill with my hands to get a noticeable difference in sound.  The point is, that little badge on the grill is the only thing that separates Q701 from K701, and it makes no difference in sound worth mentioning, and that is according to the people who manufacture these headphones and according to those who measured them.

I don't wanna offend anyone's opinion, but we get all kinds of weird exaggerations on this forum.  People who hear a huge difference between K701 and Q701, but then they put a Q701's grill on K701's, and don't hear a change in sound...or something similar to that. That's because most of it is placebo due to our minds being filled with what to expect from new headphones. We "know" what they sound like even before we try them, just by reading comments, which is again, ridiculous.  I personally don't take other people's impressions on sound too seriously, because it really depends on a person, and what someone else might hear, I won't, and vice versa....but the fact is, all the headphones I've bough so far have been very different from what I expected them to be after reading reviews or impressions.

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #606 of 9,603

Quote:
How long do you guys burn-in your Q701 and using what method? Pink noise or just let it play your tunes? Ordered mine from Amazon few days ago and waiting for it to arrive.

I let mine play pink noise and bass heavy music while not using them on a high volume, as high as it goes without distortion.  Got about 65 hours on them...to be honest the only really noticeable difference is comfort. Ear pads have adjusted to my face which might have brought the drivers 1-2 millimeters's closer to the ear which probably makes the sound sightly fuller.

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #607 of 9,603

Quote:
I let mine play pink noise and bass heavy music while not using them on a high volume, as high as it goes without distortion.  Got about 65 hours on them...to be honest the only really noticeable difference is comfort. Ear pads have adjusted to my face which might have brought the drivers 1-2 millimeters's closer to the ear which probably makes the sound sightly fuller.

There's not much SQ improvement after burn-in I suppose.. Can you recommend me some bass heavy songs? I'm short on them since most of my music are Rock. Thanks for the information, appreciate it.

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #608 of 9,603

Quote:
There's not much SQ improvement after burn-in I suppose.. Can you recommend me some bass heavy songs? I'm short on them since most of my music are Rock. Thanks for the information, appreciate it.

Really anything bass boosted, you just wanna move the driver. Just write "bass boost, hd" into youtube search and you will find something that moves the driver nicely.  Then just download it using keepvid(dot)com and burn it to CD as an audio file, its legal, apparently. :p

Or if you want something like an entire album..then I'd suggest Infected Mushroom albums...its psytrance , its got lots of very punchy bass mixed with all kinds of instruments, effects, vocals...very "busy" music.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #609 of 9,603

Quote:

Best way to burn them in is to put them on your head and play some music.  But if you insist on burning them in, your favourite Rock music is as good as anything, unless you have access the a pink noise signal.

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #610 of 9,603

Quote:
 new K701's are identical to Q701's.  Also, most importantly, whoever, including me, sent email's to AKG support asking whether there is a difference in sound, they got a "No" for an answer...now, if people who manufacture headphones know less than those who buy them, then we live in a crazy world.  

So lets see on the "appreciation thread" if new K701 buyers have something similar to say. Cause K701 has better build quality, so it would be even nicer to have the sound of Q701 with the appearance of K701.

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #611 of 9,603
How long do you guys burn-in your Q701 and using what method? Pink noise or just let it play your tunes? Ordered mine from Amazon few days ago and waiting for it to arrive.

I have an MP3 of rainfall and some nice deep thunder and I play it at a volume that's a little bit louder than I can comfortably listen. Seems to work well.

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #612 of 9,603
So lets see on the "appreciation thread" if new K701 buyers have something similar to say. Cause K701 has better build quality, so it would be even nicer to have the sound of Q701 with the appearance of K701.

I emailed the Harmon HQ devs and asked them, let's see what they say.

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #613 of 9,603
I'm ready to be burned at the stake right now.  

Burn in isn't real.  The only thing that you can burn in is your ear pads.  Them softening and moving the driver's distance to your ears is what changes the sounds in headphones. So the best way to "burn in" a pair of headphones is to wear them and listen to music.  

Also, USB vs. Optical is a joke.  Both types of cable are sending 1's and 0's to the DAC with takes that data and coverts it to analog.  There is no difference.  The cables are sending data not sound.

The amount of ridiculous information on these forums that passes for fact is mind blowing.  

Anyways I love my q701's.  An amazing headphone for rock/metal, and simply the best gaming headphone you can buy.   

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #614 of 9,603

Burn in isn't real.  The only thing that you can burn in is your ear pads.  Them softening and moving the driver's distance to your ears is what changes the sounds in headphones. So the best way to "burn in" a pair of headphones is to wear them and listen to music.  

Also, USB vs. Optical is a joke.  Both types of cable are sending 1's and 0's to the DAC with takes that data and coverts it to analog.  There is no difference.  The cables are sending data not sound.

The amount of ridiculous information on these forums that passes for fact is mind blowing.  

Anyways I love my q701's.  An amazing headphone for rock/metal, and simply the best gaming headphone you can buy.   

Tyll measured differences of 2-3dB in THD, and other more subtle changes, over a few hundred hours of break in. Something is likely happening, it probably varies a lot between different headphone models, but the actual difference probably isn't as profound as many proclaim.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break

Edit: I do agree about custom cables, but I figure it's a hobby and they probably just enjoy doing that kind of thing. No real harm there.

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #615 of 9,603

Quote:
I emailed the Harmon HQ devs and asked them, let's see what they say.

If a change was quietly made with the Q701, I doubt anyone connected to AKG would admit to it.  It makes sense for them not to, or risk hurting sales of the K701/2.  I use Senneheiser's driver update to the HD600/650 as an example.  They have repeatedly denied any sonic changes the HD600 series due to the driver update.  However, many users have confirmed that the updated drivers do indeed have a brighter, slightly more dynamic sound signature.

Quote:

I'm heating up the burning sticks as we speak.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back