Q701 impressions thread
Mar 20, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #6,076 of 9,602
FWIW I don't think the Q701 is bright (modded versus unmodded not relevant in this aspect). I'd say there's a very slight bleach to the tone in mid/top, so very small that I noticed it only when comparing to SOTA phones, but that is not the same as bright (which I define as too much treble energy compared to mid).

If there's too much treble being perceived, perhaps you should look upstream? Also, switch mode power supply noise can cause a bit of glare, depending on the system being used. Any problems upstream might bite with cymbals, electric guitars, things with lots of harmonics like that.

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #6,077 of 9,602
Not to risk offense of something I might have missed earlier in this long thread, but why beating a dead horse? 

It's a horse! Why didn't I see that?

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #6,078 of 9,602
FWIW I don't think the Q701 is bright (modded versus unmodded not relevant in this aspect). I'd say there's a very slight bleach to the tone in mid/top, so very small that I noticed it only when comparing to SOTA phones, but that is not the same as bright (which I define as too much treble energy compared to mid).

If there's too much treble being perceived, perhaps you should look upstream? Also, switch mode power supply noise can cause a bit of glare, depending on the system being used. Any problems upstream might bite with cymbals, electric guitars, things with lots of harmonics like that.

Listen to some jazz where there are a lot of cymbals. You'll see that' it is bright. On most recordings it won't be obvious but the brightness gets quite fatiguing with jazz.

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #6,079 of 9,602
Well I won't repeat myself re: cymbals - please see my last post.

Bear in mind though, that with headphones the physical differences between people in terms of head and ear shape can really change the perception of the same pair of headphones, in a way that doesn't happen for loudspeakers. This is just a natural consequence of the headphones sitting directly on the head and ears.

So please don't take my comments as anything more than my honest personal opinion. And I accept that others could really hear issues that I don't hear, simply due to head or ear shape being different to mine.

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #6,080 of 9,602
Did someone say cymbals? 

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #6,081 of 9,602
Also, I am so loving this track right now.

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #6,082 of 9,602
Are you referring to the bass mod where you remove those two stickers from behind the drivers? I was going to try that but then I read conflicting reports saying it just made the bass loose so I haven't tried it yet.

I might though because right now I find I have the bass boost on all the time with the Q701's. Is it really better?

The modded Q701's are picky with the amp used imho. The bass is loose if the pairing isn't right. It is very tight with the Schiit Vali. The bass was a bit loose with the Aune T1.
That Schiit Vali looks good. Do you think the Modi would pair well with it? I know sound is the most important factor but I do like the Schiit aesthetic, especially since I have a Mac mini and Panasonic TV all sharing the same finish.

I have the Schiit Modi/Vali stack and it is excellent with the modded and stock q701's. The Vali is surprisingly neutral and this combo is not overly bright.

Is it the case that the mod only affects the bass? ie does it just boost bass or does it have some effect on the treble too?

Sorry for all the questions.

I've found the treble to be less forward on the modded q701's compared to stock. It's less fatiguing for sure. 

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #6,083 of 9,602
The modded Q701's are picky with the amp used imho. The bass is loose if the pairing isn't right. It is very tight with the Schiit Vali. The bass was a bit loose with the Aune T1.
I have the Schiit Modi/Vali stack and it is excellent with the modded and stock q701's. The Vali is surprisingly neutral and this combo is not overly bright.

I've found the treble to be less forward on the modded q701's compared to stock. It's less fatiguing for sure. 

It is a lot easier to listen to now. There's still a bit of a spike in the treble but, sometimes I wonder if it's not that the Q's competition is a touch veiled. Plus I know I have a tendency to listen a bit too loud to start with and gradually turn it down. At sane levels I think it's quite neutral really.

The E18 is doing a good job of controlling the bass though, no problems there.

I'd love to go for a proper stand-alone amp/DAC combo (particularly with valves) but I need it to have a stereo output too so I can pass the signal on to my Marantz amp for communal listening. I don't seem to be able to find that option anywhere.

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #6,084 of 9,602
It is a lot easier to listen to now. There's still a bit of a spike in the treble but, sometimes I wonder if it's not that the Q's competition is a touch veiled. Plus I know I have a tendency to listen a bit too loud to start with and gradually turn it down. At sane levels I think it's quite neutral really.

The E18 is doing a good job of controlling the bass though, no problems there.

I'd love to go for a proper stand-alone amp/DAC combo (particularly with valves) but I need it to have a stereo output too so I can pass the signal on to my Marantz amp for communal listening. I don't seem to be able to find that option anywhere.

Can't you just do that with a cable?

Either way, you can find that in the ODAC+O2 combo.

Not to risk offense of something I might have missed earlier in this long thread, but why beating a dead horse? 

Some people just entered the wagon! Life is a cycle man! :D

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #6,085 of 9,602
Can't you just do that with a cable?

Either way, you can find that in the ODAC+O2 combo.
Some people just entered the wagon! Life is a cycle man! :D

The only source I have is my Mac mini and that only has 4 x USB3 + 1 Thunderbolt outputs. I'd be able to use one USB to a DAC then RCA cables to a headphone amp, no problem. How do I get from the DAC to my Marantz?

I was looking on the JDS Labs site last night for a picture of the rear of the Odac+ (or whatever it's called) but their gallery is a mess and doesn't show a pic of the rear. It gas pics of the DAC and of the amp but not of the 2 in 1 box.

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #6,086 of 9,602
The only source I have is my Mac mini and that only has 4 x USB3 + 1 Thunderbolt outputs. I'd be able to use one USB to a DAC then RCA cables to a headphone amp, no problem. How do I get from the DAC to my Marantz?

I was looking on the JDS Labs site last night for a picture of the rear of the Odac+ (or whatever it's called) but their gallery is a mess and doesn't show a pic of the rear. It gas pics of the DAC and of the amp but not of the 2 in 1 box.

A 3.5mm to RCA cable should do the trick. That is how I have my ODAC hooked to my Pioneer SX-750. 

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #6,087 of 9,602
Either find a headphone amp with line-out so you can plug your stereo receiver in or use splitters at the DAC to send to RCA cables to a headphone amp and to your Marantz. Does your Marantz have a line-out next to the line-in? If it does, you can send the RCA cables to your Marantz first then to a headphone amp.

Quote:

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #6,088 of 9,602
A 3.5mm to RCA cable should do the trick. That is how I have my ODAC hooked to my Pioneer SX-750. 

I didn't know the Odac had a 3.5mm line out. That would definitely work. Thanks for the heads-up.

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #6,089 of 9,602

Either find a headphone amp with line-out so you can plug your stereo receiver in or use splitters at the DAC to send to RCA cables to a headphone amp and to your Marantz. Does your Marantz have a line-out next to the line-in? If it does, you can send the RCA cables to your Marantz first then to a headphone amp.

This.  You have two options:

Run DAC > Marantz Line In > Marantz Line Out > Headphone Amp (all RCA)

or

Run DAC > Headphone Amp > Marantz Line In via 1/4" to RCA cable.

I see potential issues with both.  For option one, with my HK AVR, it need to be on and set to the correct source to pass through the optical.  I don't know if the RCA line out works the same way.  If it does, your Marantz will need to be on and set to the correct input and muted to use just your hedphone amp.

For option two, you'll be double-amping the signal so you'll have to be careful with volume settings?

EDIT - Or just use a splitter of some sort between the DAC and the Headphone amp at the risk of degraded SQ.

Mar 20, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #6,090 of 9,602

The Marantz has a tape loop.

My wife just asked me if I could remember the last time I actually used the speakers. It was last year. I stopped drinking at New Year so the party animal is kinda retired, lol. I stopped smoking too, hence all this recent expenditure. And coffee.

Anyway, I digress. I could sell the amp and speakers and that could possibly just about cover the cost of some Schiit. Hmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back