Q701 impressions thread
Jul 23, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #9,422 of 9,602
  You should try the Q701 with Vintage Receiver speaker taps.

Well, I'd recommend applying extra caution when doing that.
Using speaker taps is only safe with balanced headphones, otherwise you may create a short in the amp circuit and generate more smoke than music.
Some amp designs may be OK with that, but unless you are sure or don't really need the amp, stick to what you know for sure.

Jul 24, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #9,423 of 9,602
  You should try the Q701 with Vintage Receiver speaker taps.

Tempted to try with my K240 600Ohm.

Well, I'd recommend applying extra caution when doing that.
Using speaker taps is only safe with balanced headphones, otherwise you may create a short in the amp circuit and generate more smoke than music.
Some amp designs may be OK with that, but unless you are sure or don't really need the amp, stick to what you know for sure.

I know. I have read up on it but never had the balls to try. Although, from what I understand modern receivers' negative terminals are linked, so it may be less risky. But still, my iCAN micro SE has 4W of total output power so powering the Q701 is not an issue.

Speaking of the iCAN micro SE, it pairs beautifully with the Q701! It's solid-state class-A "tubestate" sound really compliments the Q701 sound sig.

beerchug.gif

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #9,424 of 9,602

Anyway, while I don't mind the long 9' cable as I can snake it behind my monitors, I did order a 1.2m 5N OCC cable from eBay. I have the same cable for my HD598 and it sounds freaking fantastic!

I will report back once this bad-boy arrives!

beerchug.gif

The Q701 has the same original cable inside it, so why changing cable will do anything better?

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #9,425 of 9,602
Jul 25, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #9,427 of 9,602
Well, I've been very critical of the Q701s from time to time, but here I am, away from home, listening to classic Bernard Haitink/Concertgebouw recordings (at the moment Beethoven Violin Concerto with Krebbers) from the Oppo BD105 - Chord Hugo - Schitt Vali 2 and the sound is CRAZY good. So nice to be proved wrong, especially when it's in the right direction. 

Bad afterthought: "Oh God, I'm going to want the K812 now!"

Jul 28, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #9,428 of 9,602
  Well, I've been very critical of the Q701s from time to time, but here I am, away from home, listening to classic Bernard Haitink/Concertgebouw recordings (at the moment Beethoven Violin Concerto with Krebbers) from the Oppo BD105 - Chord Hugo - Schitt Vali 2 and the sound is CRAZY good. So nice to be proved wrong, especially when it's in the right direction. 

Bad afterthought: "Oh God, I'm going to want the K812 now!"

If you haven't already, give Mannheim Steamroller a listen, it blows me away with both of my AKGs.

And I'm with you on wanting the K812.

And some vintage K340s. And a K1000 if I could find one. Oh, and maybe a Sextett 240.

help meeee...

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #9,429 of 9,602
 I'am  not EE but my PIONEER SX-3700,SA-7700 with my  resistor network is fine no smoke so far,The good amp that i have for my Q701 is the Bottlehead S.E.X. however the sound of these amp is no where near as good as my vintage.

Jul 28, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #9,431 of 9,602
My Q701 sounded good from the headphone jack of my late 70's Pioneer SX-750. I don't have it anymore, but the LG V10 makes my Q701 sound better than anything else I've ever plugged them into.

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #9,432 of 9,602
I've had two headphones dt770 dt880 250 version
dt770 problem with midranges and SoundStage
dt880 problem with the SoundStage and Treble
Now q701 bought for SoundStage
While the larger SoundStage of the dt880 but not too wide and huge
To reach a hug SoundStage and a wider and deeper What should I do?
I heard that Fiio products have a narrow SoundStage. I have a Fiio e10k
Where is the problem?
To a great improvement (under $ 200):
Buy k701
Buy ad900x
Buy Amplifier
Buy DAC (Modi 2) or ...
And...
Thanks

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #9,433 of 9,602
  I've had two headphones dt770 dt880 250 version
dt770 problem with midranges and SoundStage
dt880 problem with the SoundStage and Treble
Now q701 bought for SoundStage
While the larger SoundStage of the dt880 but not too wide and huge
To reach a hug SoundStage and a wider and deeper What should I do?
I heard that Fiio products have a narrow SoundStage. I have a Fiio e10k
Where is the problem?
To a great improvement (under $ 200):
Buy k701
Buy ad900x
Buy Amplifier
Buy DAC (Modi 2) or ...
And...
Thanks

Soundstage is very recording dependant

Try this samples
http://www.hdtracks.com/sessions-from-the-17th-ward-binaural-278260

Jul 30, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #9,434 of 9,602

Soundstage is very recording dependant

Try this samples
http://www.hdtracks.com/sessions-from-the-17th-ward-binaural-278260

It was great, thank you
You mean is that any way for any significant improvement other than the specific record?
For example, Shania Twain female voice with More instruments in the music

Jul 30, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #9,435 of 9,602

It was great, thank you
You mean is that any way for any significant improvement other than the specific record?
For example, Shania Twain female voice with More instruments in the music

You're welcome.

I own the Sennheiser HD800 which is known for being the headphone in production with the best soundstage and I also own the Bifrost 4490 which is known for providing an expansive soundstage with a non intrusive presentation. Soundstage is bigger and more cohesive than FiiO E10K + Q701, but differences are still on the subtle side of things.

You can get higher end gear, and they might bring slight differences here and there, but do not expect night and day differences. Keep in mind that the difference between DT880 Pro and Q701 is pretty big in terms of soundstage, it doesn't get much better than that.

Last but not least, if a recording doesn't include the clues for positional accuracy, then no Setup will be able to recreate a coherent image. It's kind of a sad thing to say, but there's plenty of recordings that are not engineered for audiophiles, and thus they won't sound good, no mater how good your setup happens to be. Sometimes it's the other way around, the better your setup, the worse those recordings sound.

At this point you are relatively deep in the audiophile world, so you have no choice but start the quest to find the best recordings and enjoy. Some recordings are not up to the task.

You can try some crossfeed plugins, I prefer not to use them normally, but they can change the soundstage properties a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back