Q701 impressions thread
Mar 5, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #9,346 of 9,602
  lol, you got me :D

well from my experience with the Q701 vintage amps are one of the best and cheapest options for the Q701...
my current vintage amp which costs arround 300$ drives the 701 better then amps like AMB M3, master 9, leben and many more i have tried.
At his budjet there are some options, but i want him to try before buying ("u can try good vintage amp that is in your budjet with the Q701 by a chance?")
because im not sure every amp will have good headphones output...

It will take a bit of luck to find a vintage amp that will turn out nicely. Granted there's quite a lot of good vintage amps out there where engineers didn't just wire resistors to a speaker output and smack a headphone label on the top... ending up with a noisy output.

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #9,347 of 9,602

I can tell you that the E17 isn't a fair pair with the Q701's. Since the bass is looser than similarly priced desktop options (ODAC/O2/Modi/Magni), treble isn't as extended, soundstage a bit narrower and midrange can be a bit peaky. Of course those characteristics are a bit exaggerated but if you heard the Q701's and E17 together, you'd know what I'm talking about.

I was at some point considering the EF2A but users have stated that they're a bit noisy, so I avoided that as a tube amp. I also would avoid unpopular tube amps, take it from someone who ordered 3 chinese tube amps, they usually end up noisy, lack extension on both ends and have absolutely terrible dynamics.

The ODAC/O2 is also a good choice, but if you end up wanting a warmer sound; you can order an LME49720HA op amp (with adapter) and replace it as the output voltage buffer. 
Here's a trick that I found with the AKG Q701's if you eventually end up raising your budget for the DAC/Amps.

If you want the sound as-is, but want more microdetails out of a good DAC; solid state amplifiers are your best bet. As the current just simply fills the AKG's requirements better.
If you want a bit more upper treble extension and a warmer bass-body, tube amps have higher voltage outputs that do just this.

ODAC/O2 doesn't ship unfortunately. I'm looking to get a wide soundstage or just a neutral AMP. Looks like in the AMP section it narrows down to only EF2A(given that the E17 aren't strong enough)... I also found about the HA-P50 series, have you heard anything about these? HA-P50-B and HA-P50-R to be more exact.

Edit: also wanted to ask what do you mean by "noisy" regarding the tube AMPs?

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #9,348 of 9,602
  ODAC/O2 doesn't ship unfortunately. I'm looking to get a wide soundstage or just a neutral AMP. Looks like in the AMP section it narrows down to only EF2A(given that the E17 aren't strong enough)... I also found about the HA-P50 series, have you heard anything about these? HA-P50-B and HA-P50-R to be more exact.

Edit: also wanted to ask what do you mean by "noisy" regarding the tube AMPs?

If you want to be in the safe zone, this is what I generally advise you to get out of an amplifier for an AKG Q701.
200mW output@63 Ohms
Signal to noise ratio: -100db

I have not heard of those amplifiers, someone else might be able to chime in better.

It's a small hissing noise, listen to the first 10 seconds of the video before he starts moving the camera. That noise is noisy noise that resembles more like a hiss than noise, still noise.

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #9,350 of 9,602
That is a killer deal for the Q701! But Amazon says they're "Unavailable" now. Does it mean they sold out already, or are they just doing maintenance? o.O I need to force my brother-in-law to get them.

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #9,351 of 9,602
That is a killer deal for the Q701! But Amazon says they're "Unavailable" now. Does it mean they sold out already, or are they just doing maintenance? o.O I need to force my brother-in-law to get them.

Also the price went back up, to $135 for the white version, $158 for the lime green, and $175 for the black ones. Too bad, I was ready to make a purchase.

Mar 18, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #9,352 of 9,602
100 for the Q's is highway robbery
basshead.gif

Mar 18, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #9,353 of 9,602
Yes, ridiculous value!!!

In my experience, the Modi/Magni stack is decent, but it's an entry level stack and AKGs still have plenty of potential to unlock. A great amp and DAC really do scale up the headphone experience... I love my K612, but I love them even more with my $600 amp! I think I'm at a point where I could use a headphone upgrade, but I'm pretty confident that an endgame setup will end up having amps and DACs costing much more than the headphone.

I use a Liquid Carbon these days with my K612, and a vintage Theta DAC. A friend of mine really liked a Cordia JAZZ he recently got to borrow for review, those are like $300-400. Bifrost + Lyr is a good combo too, though the Theta is better so I want to sell my Bifrost Uber (I'm lazy).

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #9,358 of 9,602
The best I have heard my Q701 is when paired with my LG V10 smartphone which has ESS Sabre dac and amplifier chips in it. I've used my Q701 with a Fiio E17, then a Vintage Pioneer SX-750, then straight out of the speaker taps on an Emotiva Mini-X A-100. An ODAC was used with the SX-750 and the Emotiva. 

Mar 19, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #9,359 of 9,602
  The best I have heard my Q701 is when paired with my LG V10 smartphone which has ESS Sabre dac and amplifier chips in it. I've used my Q701 with a Fiio E17, then a Vintage Pioneer SX-750, then straight out of the speaker taps on an Emotiva Mini-X A-100. An ODAC was used with the SX-750 and the Emotiva. 

interesting 

will wait until one of my friends will get himself a v10 to try it out :)

Mar 19, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #9,360 of 9,602

Dude! The combo is surprisingly excellent. Like, I think my desktop setup sounds better with the Q, but it isn't extreme. I was jamming for awhile when I tried it out. My 225i isn't being done many favors but the V10-Q701 is really a pleasant surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back