Q701 impressions thread
Feb 6, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #8,582 of 9,602
The weird thing though is that they are only rated 200mW max and the vali can give more than double at their rated impedance

Then it really doesn't sound like the amp is clipping.
Could be the recordings are somewhat distorted?

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #8,583 of 9,602
Sometimes it is the recording with all the loudness war stuff nowadays but I always double check by turning down the volume and a lot of times, it is the headphone itself. Its a common thing for both the q701 and the k240s but not on my grados and senns. Listening to classical with full on dynamics is where it gets annoying because one cant hear the big drums when they explode. The sound turns into mush

Feb 6, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #8,584 of 9,602
so yah its either they just cant play loud enough or they arent rated correctly and could use a 3 watt amp or higher. I think i'll try them out of speaker jacks and see what happens

Feb 6, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #8,585 of 9,602
so yah its either they just cant play loud enough or they arent rated correctly and could use a 3 watt amp or higher. I think i'll try them out of speaker jacks and see what happens

I never had distortion problems with the Matrix M Stage headphone amp I used wih my Q701, I really don't think you are running out of power.
You certainly do't need 3 Watts into 62 Ohms to drive Q701s.

Maybe some other Q701 fans can weigh in here.

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #8,586 of 9,602
The Q701 is not a metal or rock hp.Great for jazz, folk, and some classical especially solo instruments. Head bangers need not apply. Ymmv

Hmm, well i already have DT 990's, but want to return them. Their build quality doesn't last for me, at lest this pro version. The cheap spring steel bends out of shape and they are either too tight or too loose, or won't even stay on my head at any given time during the day. I need a more rigid and dependable design, but I love the DT 990's signature for my metal.

Any idea's on what else has decently high treble, but also enough bass for death metal? I'm looking for a sturdy open-back as these will be my PC gaming headphones as well
Also, do you think Amazon will ban me if I attempt to return the DT 990 a 4th time... I better just ask for a refund and stay on their good side...
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Feb 7, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #8,587 of 9,602
I know the mechanical design is the same, but the DT880 may be more suited for hard rock.

Hmm, but yeah, that's my only gripe... I don't want the same design. I love the Beyer sound, and like the 990's high treble and bass, but I don't know what else I could get with better build quality, and maybe slightly less harsh treble. How is the Q701 vs the DT 990? I always heard the Q701 was a lot like the DT 880's signature? also, how is the open-ear effect on the AKG's? I also hear that Beyer does best with targeting sound around you, while AKG's portray sound in a different pattern? This is important to me too because I will be using headphones for PC gaming as well.

Feb 7, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #8,588 of 9,602
The sound is wider with the Q's, which I actually prefer for gaming. Less depth to the sound. Good map knowledge solves that problem.

The Q701's probably don't have enough bass for you, even modded. Maybe post the names of some songs you like so I can try them out with mine and I can tell you what I think?

I'd start looking in threads based on V-shaped cans. Even the M50x's might work for you.

Feb 7, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #8,589 of 9,602
so yah its either they just cant play loud enough or they arent rated correctly and could use a 3 watt amp or higher. I think i'll try them out of speaker jacks and see what happen

Be aware that the Q701's have a specified maximum input power rating of 200mW.

According to the testing done by Innerfidelity they need 1.68mW to produce 90dB SPL.
This is quite insensitive compared to, say, Audio Technica HP's but does not mandate the use of a 3W+ amp.

That said Q701's are unsuitable for use by most portable players etc.
As a data point, on my Grace 903 amp (2W) the sensitivity is subjectively similar to my HE-500's - and in fact the Innerfidelity testing shows very similar voltage sensitivity, but the Q701 draws somewhat less power than the HE-500 due to its higher impedence. Compared to the HE-500, the Q701 is more easily driven from my desktop PC (Auzen prelude soundcard) which doesn't do the same job with the HE-500's.

BTW, in regard to AKG's sensitivity rating - they are using SPL/V specification while others like Audio Technica and HiFiman use SPL/mW. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #8,590 of 9,602

Hmm, well i already have DT 990's, but want to return them. Their build quality doesn't last for me, at lest this pro version. The cheap spring steel bends out of shape and they are either too tight or too loose, or won't even stay on my head at any given time during the day. I need a more rigid and dependable design, but I love the DT 990's signature for my metal.

Any idea's on what else has decently high treble, but also enough bass for death metal? I'm looking for a sturdy open-back as these will be my PC gaming headphones as well
Also, do you think Amazon will ban me if I attempt to return the DT 990 a 4th time... I better just ask for a refund and stay on their good side...
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Philips Fidelio X2 is what comes to mind, check out the thread here on that can. I don't own one but is on my short list. Also for a bit more money there is Hifiman HE400I good luck.

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #8,591 of 9,602

I have no problem using the Q701 with my FiiO E12, which is a small portable amp.
Do you turn the bass up a lot?

Hmm, but yeah, that's my only gripe... I don't want the same design. I love the Beyer sound, and like the 990's high treble and bass, but I don't know what else I could get with better build quality, and maybe slightly less harsh treble. How is the Q701 vs the DT 990? I always heard the Q701 was a lot like the DT 880's signature? also, how is the open-ear effect on the AKG's? I also hear that Beyer does best with targeting sound around you, while AKG's portray sound in a different pattern? This is important to me too because I will be using headphones for PC gaming as well.

Relatively speaking:
The DT990 sounds like a neutral headphone, but with the bass and treble turned up a bit.
The Q701 sounds like a neutral headphone with the treble turned up a bit.
The Q701 have an open, airy sound, but they leak a lot of sound, if that concerns you.

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #8,592 of 9,602
 I drive my Q701 with a Littledot 1+ and Bottlehead SEX they both works well no distortion problem for me and yes i can play it loud beyond my listening level without any driver rattle or distortions like some people complain about.

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #8,594 of 9,602
Can a cheap replacement cable make the headphones harsh? Like irritating?

I bought one and don't know if its my amp that can't hold it against the Qs or if its the cable... Can't remember if they did that, some new music...

The fiio e12 should work OK shouldn't it?

Sometimes I think my fiio e12 is broken now and dont deliver all what i thought it will... xD

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #8,595 of 9,602
Can a cheap replacement cable make the headphones harsh? Like irritating?

I bought one and don't know if its my amp that can't hold it against the Qs or if its the cable... Can't remember if they did that, some new music...

The fiio e12 should work OK shouldn't it?

Sometimes I think my fiio e12 is broken now and dont deliver all what i thought it will... xD

A replacement cable should have very little effect on the sound unles you have a bad connection in the cable.
The E12 works fine with my Q701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back