Q701 impressions thread
Aug 1, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #7,471 of 9,602
How much are the pads?

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #7,473 of 9,602
 Now, the volume on my modest home theater system (Polk M40 bookshelves in stereo and a Polk sub) has an independent volume control on the sub, so I don't know where "neutral" or "level with the rest of the frequency range" is,

The way I gauge that is through comparing the sound reproduced by my system with the sound of live instruments. 

Another way is to compare your speakers output to headphones that you trust to be reasonably flat, at least low through to mid frequencies.

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #7,474 of 9,602
I'm still with these cans in the absence of my damaged HD600. They've been doing the job just great! I can't believe I only paid around $150 for this beauty. I went through some 90s electronic CDs and they definitely do deliver bass where required and I enjoyed it overall. I noticed something else; they really show that digital harshness found in a lot of modern recordings. That may just be me.

Aug 2, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #7,475 of 9,602
This.  He's no longer with AKG, but the phone number on that page should still take you to the new right person.  Or so I've read...

EDIT - Oh ****, 1000th post!  I talk too much...

No you don't!

Congrats! :D

Aug 2, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #7,476 of 9,602
I'm still with these cans in the absence of my damaged HD600. They've been doing the job just great! I can't believe I only paid around $150 for this beauty. I went through some 90s electronic CDs and they definitely do deliver bass where required and I enjoyed it overall. I noticed something else; they really show that digital harshness found in a lot of modern recordings. That may just be me.

I find they do expose poor recordings.

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #7,477 of 9,602
I'm starting to see what people mean when they say these cans are picky with source. I was listening to some Prince (Prince), David Byrne (Look Into The Eyeball) and The Beatles (Magical Mystery Tour) last night, and I was completely amazed by the overall sound including the bass. Quite frankly, I was floored by their overall sound, including the bass, and am now starting to wonder if I was too hasty in thinking these cans lack on bass.

Another thing worth mentioning is that I think these cans are approaching 100 hours of burn-in, which might have something to do with the increase in bass. The reason I think this is that when I listened to The Beatles (again, Magical Mystery Tour) last week I am sure it didn't have as much bass, and as a result wasn't as good as when I listened to it last night. 

One thing I am certain about is that the Q701s sound amazing with the above albums.

Aug 2, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #7,478 of 9,602
The way I gauge that is through comparing the sound reproduced by my system with the sound of live instruments. 

Another way is to compare your speakers output to headphones that you trust to be reasonably flat, at least low through to mid frequencies.

Mmmmmrrreh. As much as I love my ears, that's too approximate for me. I think my Yamaha receiver also sucks, plain and simple, so it colors the sound a bit. There's like a hole in the upper bass, and other craaayp

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #7,479 of 9,602
Mmmmmrrreh. As much as I love my ears, that's too approximate for me. I think my Yamaha receiver also sucks, plain and simple, so it colors the sound a bit. There's like a hole in the upper bass, and other craaayp

I found that offensive. Language please 
biggrin.gif

Note on the Q701: I'm beginning to feel those headband bumps... but I have been using them for hours now. It almost pressurizes.

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #7,480 of 9,602
*I think my Yamaha receiver is flawed because a portion of the representation of upper bass is really quiet, coloring the sound. This effect makes it too difficult to tune the system to where I think it should be, but thanks for making a suggestion.

Now, the receiver is an entry-level model, but even so I would expect it to handle LFE crossover more smoothly and not roll-off the dB level well above the crossover point. This issue really frustrates me and I think it would be noticeable to others as well.

Better?

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #7,482 of 9,602
 I finally finish building my BH CRACK and i tried it with my Q701  to my ears they sound good  it's not bad at all it sounds like the Q's bass gets deeper(I'am not saying it changed the sound signature)treble is a bit smoother.This amp is really smooth sounding specially with DT8XX 600 ohms you should listen to that treble very smooth. 

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #7,483 of 9,602
Over-responding is funny to me, that's why I did it :wink:

I'm good :)

iLuvMusic,
The DT880 600 ohm indeed has smooth treble, but there is a narrow band of treble that is louder than any other frequency, and what bothered my preference was how mids were dry and pushed back in the mix (I personally prefer the more forward mids of the AKGs, they seem more musical and engaging to me). It was good for gaming.

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #7,485 of 9,602
So what, we're a JOKE TO YOU?!?  :angry_face:

You're a buddy to me! And everyone else is how I choose to spend my lunch break :)

I need to find a hex screwdriver during this lunchbreak, I accidentally unscrewed one of my tube amp's feet and I need to take the amp apart to fix it >_<

Users who are viewing this thread

Back