Q701 impressions thread
Jul 29, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #7,412 of 9,602
For anyone looking for a great DAC/Amp combo for the Q701, there's a Yulong D100 in the classifieds for $200 right now.  That's a total steal!  They were $500 new and they sound fantastic.

I had a really tough time deciding between the D100 and the Audio-GD NFB-15.32.  The D100 actually sounded slightly better IMO, but I thought the 15.32 just paired slightly better with the Q.  The D100 is more neutral so if you find the Q to be a little bright for your taste, this won't dampen that much.  But if you're a big fan of the sparkly highs, the D100 is a great pairing.

Jul 29, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #7,413 of 9,602
Hello fellow head-fiers!, I need some advice please. :)

I have just purchased a Q701 and am running it from my computer using a Xonar DX sound card. However the highs do sometimes sound a little ear-piercing. I've heard that amplification is a must for these headphones. What setup could I run to get them sounding better for under $200, hopefully also utilizing the sound card (that I just bought)? Would it make a significant improvement?

Thanks in advance to the kind souls

If you're bothered by the spike at 2k it's always gonna be there. Try different headphones.

Jul 29, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #7,415 of 9,602
Not necessarily true. A poorly amped Q701 is very harsh sounding and has anemic bass. They are not that bad on any decent desktop amp. Also the distortion of tube amps can alleviate treble peaks.

I believe Zorrofox ran his Q701's with an ODAC/O2. He probably just doesn't like the treble peak. I for one have music tailored for bright headphones, unfortunately some songs indeed do get bright, which is why they no longer exist in my playlist :p

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #7,416 of 9,602
EQ can also be your very good friend of you find them to be bright or think they have peaks that you don't like. Equalizer APO is a free system wide Windows PEQ that is essentially limitless in its capabilities. It offers up to 100 PEQ bands per channel. I really think more people should be using it.

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #7,417 of 9,602
Hello fellow head-fiers!, I need some advice please. :)

I have just purchased a Q701 and am running it from my computer using a Xonar DX sound card. However the highs do sometimes sound a little ear-piercing. I've heard that amplification is a must for these headphones. What setup could I run to get them sounding better for under $200, hopefully also utilizing the sound card (that I just bought)? Would it make a significant improvement?

Thanks in advance to the kind souls

See if you can find a used Matrix M Stage headphone amp!
A lot of folks agree that it has great synergy with the Q701.

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #7,418 of 9,602
See if you can find a used Matrix M Stage headphone amp!
A lot of folks agree that it has great synergy with the Q701.

Hmm, just bought a PS4... I should probably sell my M-stage...

Jul 30, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #7,419 of 9,602
Not necessarily true. A poorly amped Q701 is very harsh sounding and has anemic bass. They are not that bad on any decent desktop amp. Also the distortion of tube amps can alleviate treble peaks.

2x this.
Needs more current, sometimes tube amps Can sweeten the deal too.
This is unlike the 600 ohm DT880, I tried it on a bunch of different amps and it never stopped being fatiguing, sadly

Jul 30, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #7,421 of 9,602
2x this.
Needs more current, sometimes tube amps Can sweeten the deal too.
This is unlike the 600 ohm DT880, I tried it on a bunch of different amps and it never stopped being fatiguing, sadly

An amp with built-in Bass/Treble controls might be an ideal solution. I'm currently running mine off of an old Kenwood receiver (KR-V8060) and it sounds absolutely phenomenal. It also has Treble/Bass Controls so I bump the bass up slightly while reducing the treble and for me personally, this has aided tremendously on tracks that were previously a bit bright/fatiguing. I'm not saying to go out and grab an old klunky receiver but if you happen to have one lying around, that might be a good alternative (provided size isn't an issue) in lieu of an amp. 

I do have an Aune T1 inbound so I'll report back on sound profile differences then but for now, this receiver has made all the difference in the world in terms of showcasing the true capabilities of my Q701 vs. running it straight off my PC.

Jul 30, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #7,422 of 9,602
The only point I'm making is that the spike at 2k exists in the design of the headphone. I use the parametric EQ built into JRiver and it works, to an extent. However my point was that the OP has "just received" his Q's and doesn't like them already so perhaps it might be best to return them and look for something smoother. Hunting down an amp which adds more distortion to deal with this just seems like madness.

Jul 30, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #7,423 of 9,602
An amp with built-in Bass/Treble controls might be an ideal solution. I'm currently running mine off of an old Kenwood receiver (KR-V8060) and it sounds absolutely phenomenal. It also has Treble/Bass Controls so I bump the bass up slightly while reducing the treble and for me personally, this has aided tremendously on tracks that were previously a bit bright/fatiguing. I'm not saying to go out and grab an old klunky receiver but if you happen to have one lying around, that might be a good alternative (provided size isn't an issue) in lieu of an amp. 

I do have an Aune T1 inbound so I'll report back on sound profile differences then but for now, this receiver has made all the difference in the world in terms of showcasing the true capabilities of my Q701 vs. running it straight off my PC.

Oh, my Q701 sounds great once I amp it with my Yamaha Receiver, FiiO E12, or my tube amp (similar design to Project Ember), I was saying that the DT880 seemed pretty level except for a spike at 8-9 kHz (and boring tinny mids) that was just part of the headphone signature, didn't go away when fed more power. I did use iTunes with a -3 dB cut to the 8 kHz band, and that helped reduce fatigue a lot without reducing detail, but ultimately I just didn't like the DT880 after several weeks of audition. The Q701 has been a friend of mine for over two years, lol :)

Jul 30, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #7,424 of 9,602
Hey, I'm giving the Q701 a good go now. My favourite part of this package is and I only realized this; they come with two different length cables! That's awesome. However, does the 2k peak ever settle down? It really is distracting... it's like peaky and spikey. Otherwise really good headphones and very comfy!  Though I reckon, if that 2k peak was more-so around 3k the Q701 would have been a rock fan's dream as that's where the electric guitar shows it's beauty 
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #7,425 of 9,602
  Hey, I'm giving the Q701 a good go now. My favourite part of this package is and I only realized this; they come with two different length cables! That's awesome. However, does the 2k peak ever settle down? It really is distracting... it's like peaky and spikey. Otherwise really good headphones and very comfy!  Though I reckon, if that 2k peak was more-so around 3k the Q701 would have been a rock fan's dream as that's where the electric guitar shows it's beauty 
biggrin.gif

Not by much really. Other than brain burn-in and an amp that fully drives the Q701's. Jumping from E07K to ODAC/O2, the Q's definitely got a bit warmer and added a thin cover over the 2khz peak. Good thing the Q's are open back, otherwise the 2khz peak would be a nightmare.

The Vmoda M100's have a 3khz peak, but I dislike that more than I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back