Q701 impressions thread
Jul 5, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #7,097 of 9,602

Thank for this. I was thinking that the Schiit Modi might be a good entry level DAC for a first buy. I am after all just starting out, but am yet to commit to a purchase as I can't choose between the USB version or the optical version. One thing I noticed about the Audio-GD NFB is that it sports both Optical and USB inputs. This puts it at a real advantage, at least compatibility wise, to the Modi which only has either USB or optical option. 

Yes, the dual inputs is a huge advantage.  The other thing is that the Audio-GD sounds significantly better than the Modi.  It's in another price bracket and it sounds like it.  If you have the budget to move up, it's a no-brainer IMO.  If budget is an issue, the Modi is perfectly acceptable for an entry-level DAC.

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #7,098 of 9,602
So I was reccommended to get the AKG Annie earpads for my Q701 for comfort issues and came across a thread that says parts have to be ordered through contacting a person name Frank Rodriquez, someone who works in the spare parts depart. When I check the akg website, the representative for spare  parts is under the name of Marlon Gonzalez. Did things changed? If so, should I still email Frank or this new representative?

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #7,099 of 9,602
I think someone said Frank doesn't work there anymore... shooting an email to this guy shouldn't hurt either way.

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #7,100 of 9,602
  So I was reccommended to get the AKG Annie earpads for my Q701 for comfort issues and came across a thread that says parts have to be ordered through contacting a person name Frank Rodriquez, someone who works in the spare parts depart. When I check the akg website, the representative for spare  parts is under the name of Marlon Gonzalez. Did things changed? If so, should I still email Frank or this new representative?

Yep, that's the problem with searching a forum when information changes.  Frank left AKG, so whatever contact info you find on AKG's site is correct.  In the end you'll have to call to place the order, unless you're crazy enough to email CC info.

This post
http://www.head-fi.org/t/710122/hifiman-akg-q701-hybrid-earpad-mod#post_10362059
has the info for the guys who stepped in for Frank.  Given that that was back in March, it could have changed yet again.  I posted the latest info from an AKG link not long ago, but I'm not sure in which thread.  Regardless, it's out their on the Net.

Jul 5, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #7,101 of 9,602
  Yes, the dual inputs is a huge advantage.  The other thing is that the Audio-GD sounds significantly better than the Modi.  It's in another price bracket and it sounds like it.  If you have the budget to move up, it's a no-brainer IMO.  If budget is an issue, the Modi is perfectly acceptable for an entry-level DAC.

Thanks,  I just visited the Audio GD NFB 15 series forums. People seem to really like it and according to someone who purchased it last week the price of this unit including shipping to the UK is just about $300, which is not that much more that the Vali/Modi at all. Therefore I am definitely keen to know more about this product. Just wondering why everyone is constantly singing and praising the Vali/Modi stack and the M-Stage but the Audio GD NFB 11/15. You are the first to recommend it to me specifically to drive the Q701s. 

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #7,102 of 9,602
  Thanks,  I just visited the Audio GD NFB 15 series forums. People seem to really like it and according to someone who purchased it last week the price of this unit including shipping to the UK is just about $300, which is not that much more that the Vali/Modi at all. Therefore I am definitely keen to know more about this product. Just wondering why everyone is constantly singing and praising the Vali/Modi stack and the M-Stage but the Audio GD NFB 11/15. You are the first to recommend it to me specifically to drive the Q701s. 

It's clean, powerful, detailed, and musical. Perfect on every count for the Q701's.

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #7,103 of 9,602

Generally, people aren't in here asking for a $300 DAC/Amp solution to go with $200 headphones.  Usually people want to spend as little as possible and the Schiit Stack is a good solution for only $200 (in the US) or less used.  There aren't really a lot of competing products in that price range.  

But step up your budget a bit and you're into O2/ODAC territory and a little further gets you into an Audio-GD, etc.  There are tons of great products out there, but only one can be the "best" entry-level desktop solution.

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #7,104 of 9,602
I wouldn't recommend spending too much on amps and dacs in general. If you want to improve your rig the most cost efficient way is to upgrade your headphone. A great amp/dac isn't going to change your Q701 into an HD800.

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #7,105 of 9,602
I wouldn't recommend spending too much on amps and dacs in general. If you want to improve your rig the most cost efficient way is to upgrade your headphone. I great amp/dac isn't going to change your Q701 into an HD800.

And yet it's said the HD-800s are really amp picky.  Also, wouldn't they deserve a nice DAC?  Seems like a slippery slope 
wink.gif

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #7,106 of 9,602

And yet it's said the HD-800s are really amp picky.  Also, wouldn't they deserve a nice DAC?  Seems like a slippery slope 
wink.gif

True, but some people reported good results with just a Vali.  Most headphones don't have the resolving power to distinguish between upstream gear and recordings like a HD800, plus most people who buy an HD800 have the dough or are willing to spend upwards of $1000 for an amp.

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #7,107 of 9,602
  True, but some people reported good results with just a Vali.  Most headphones don't have the resolving power to distinguish between upstream gear and recordings like a HD800, plus most people who buy an HD800 have the dough or are willing to spend upwards of $1000 for an amp.

I upgraded from Q701 to HD800 when I have just the Magni/Modi schiit stack and use it to drive the HD800 for about a month
tongue.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #7,109 of 9,602
And how are you liking it so far?

I hated it when paired with the schiit stack, but when I upgraded to WA3/DM100 I totally loved it (though I'm currently planning to get either HDVA600 or BHA-1).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back