Q701 impressions thread
Jun 14, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #6,946 of 9,602
I use my D1 with my Q701 all the time and it works very well in my opinion.

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #6,947 of 9,602
Well guys, looks like I'm joining this club. My Q701 just arrived today.

I'm just getting my first impressions right now, but so far these are definitely living up to my expectations. I can't wait until I get a proper amp/dac for these things.

Jun 14, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #6,948 of 9,602
  So I've been told by a retailer that the 
 ​
will improve the sound of the Q701's. True or false? I don't even know anymore about the depths of the audiophile world.

Then there's the ATH-A900X forum where a guy modded his A900X cables and it sounds better.

I'm just feeling a bit disappointed that the headphones don't come with the best cables after all the money that has been spent on them.

Don't get your high hopes with cables..........
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #6,949 of 9,602
  So I've been told by a retailer that the 
 ​
will improve the sound of the Q701's. True or false? I don't even know anymore about the depths of the audiophile world.

Then there's the ATH-A900X forum where a guy modded his A900X cables and it sounds better.

I'm just feeling a bit disappointed that the headphones don't come with the best cables after all the money that has been spent on them.

Trust me the stock cable sounds excellent! I have that ADL cable(Bought from HeadphoneShop in Toronto as well, apparently "that retailer" pushes that cable with every Q701 purchase) with my Q701's and in my opinion it is not worth it. Good reasons to buy another cable for the Q701 is to get one of a different color (I hated the bright green XD) and length if you so desired.

To be fair I do hear a noticeable difference between the stock and the Adl cable (stock cable being warmer whereas the adl is brighter with tighter bass and the brightness makes it seem more detailed) but with that being said it could just be perception bias although I do hear the same difference each time I try both the cables. At the most the difference is that they have slightly different sound signatures and which sounds better will be up to you, for me it is the ADL for my modded Q701's.

Personally I have regretted every single expensive cable purchase in audio as you will be able to find other cables with comparable quality for far cheaper prices that perform just as well. If you search around ebay you can find quality cables for the Q701 for a fraction of the cost of that ADL cable (Make sure it is compatible with the Q701's in the ad description as it seems Akg uses a proprietary connector at one end, otherwise I would have recommended monoprice as they make excellent cables but don't seem to make one specifically for the q701, I may be wrong in that assumption though).
So don't worry the stock cables are fine. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 14, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #6,953 of 9,602
 If you can solder you can make the cable for waaaayyyy cheaper than buying a made up cable for Q.Mogami 2832 cable $1.26/ ft(this cable is 4 conductors this is what i used)550 paracord $5.99/50 ft. plugs your choice and a bit of know how that's how cheap to make your own cable.   

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #6,954 of 9,602

I'm just feeling a bit more disappointed that the headphones don't come with a comfortable headband and better ear pads and bass optimisation, after all the money that has been spent on them.
tongue.gif

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #6,955 of 9,602
   If you can solder you can make the cable for waaaayyyy cheaper than buying a made up cable for Q.Mogami 2832 cable $1.26/ ft(this cable is 4 conductors this is what i used)550 paracord $5.99/50 ft. plugs your choice and a bit of know how that's how cheap to make your own cable.   

I wanted a shorter cable, got a nicely made 1.2M one from thebay for $15.50 posted. Can't really comment on sonic differences
rolleyes.gif
as I don't use the Q701 much.

edit: And it's not green.
bigsmile_face.gif

@johanchandy "Akg uses a proprietary connector at one end" it's not, it's a 3-pin mini XLR.

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #6,957 of 9,602
  Maybe i should start making cables for Q i might get rich.

I think what you need to start making are those stands 
biggrin.gif

On the cable front, the stock cables are good.  I prefer my DIY, as it does seem a little... what?  clearer?  more detailed?  Something along those lines.  And because I could control length and color.  I had Redco make me one, but I was unaware of AKG's non-standard wiring, so they wired it the standard way.  Left and right were switched.  I cut it up and made short interconnects for my Stack o' Schiit, which look pretty good with the white Techflex.

I got Mogami W2799 (4-conductor; thin and supple when stripped of sheath and shield) for $0.64/foot from Redco.  That's $0.16/foot per wire.  

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #6,958 of 9,602

I think what you need to start making are those stands 
biggrin.gif

On the cable front, the stock cables are good.  I prefer my DIY, as it does seem a little... what?  clearer?  more detailed?  Something along those lines.  And because I could control length and color.  I had Redco make me one, but I was unaware of AKG's non-standard wiring, so they wired it the standard way.  Left and right were switched.  I cut it up and made short interconnects for my Stack o' Schiit, which look pretty good with the white Techflex.

I got Mogami W2799 (4-conductor; thin and supple when stripped of sheath and shield) for $0.64/foot from Redco.  That's $0.16/foot per wire.  

Yup they are reversed when i wired mine up i thought i screwed up (i'am good at that
biggrin.gif
)then i realized they are reversed.Regarding the stand i made up one a while ago and i never finish it.

Jun 14, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #6,959 of 9,602
  I'm just feeling a bit more disappointed that the headphones don't come with a comfortable headband and better ear pads and bass optimisation, after all the money that has been spent on them.
tongue.gif

A flat headband would be nice. I like the earpads. I like the bass though, it's just right for me. Although if the Q's came with more bass, I wouldn't mind that either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back