Q701 impressions thread
Apr 3, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #6,331 of 9,602
I have my Q701 for sometime now  and i never experienced it vibrating like this.It remind me of my former Be@t5 headphone only the Q701 Beats the hell out of that Be@ts5 HP i just semply changed my tube from 6SN7 to 6AS7 and what do i know that soundstage is huge and the base is deep i've been told that the 6AS7 might be too much for my LD1 it might not handle the 6AS7 due to high resistance of this tube nobody want to try it so i decided to try it my self and here i'am now loving the pairing with Q and LD 1(Newly discovered tube for  LD 1).

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #6,333 of 9,602
I have my Q701 for sometime now  and i never experienced it vibrating like this.It remind me of my former Be@t5 headphone only the Q701 Beats the hell out of that Be@ts5 HP i just semply changed my tube from 6SN7 to 6AS7 and what do i know that soundstage is huge and the base is deep i've been told that the 6AS7 might be too much for my LD1 it might not handle the 6AS7 due to high resistance of this tube nobody want to try it so i decided to try it my self and here i'am now loving the pairing with Q and LD 1(Newly discovered tube for  LD 1).

I'd like to own that just to own that. Nice.

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #6,334 of 9,602

[...] The HD681 are, to my ears, better than the DT880 which has unnatural treble response in comparison and MIA mids. The HD681 also has much better definition and balance than the HD650. However, where they fail is they have a clear resonance issue that sucks out the inner detail, dynamics and life out of them. For some people, this can make them sound worse than the HD650 and DT880. For me, the balance is so good that I can still get more detail or naturality compared to those two HiFi headphones. However, compared to the K/Q701, the HD681 don't hold a candle to them in any department. Pardon the expression that is being said here a lot in this thread, but it's night and day. Don't get me wrong: The HD681 are definitely great headphones, making headphones like the ATH-m50 and SRH840 pointless purchases if only sound quality (like me) is your pursuit, but they are definitely not the world's best headphones.

Imo, HD681 = baby Q701 (bass port modded).
Q701's soundstage and FR transition are clearly superior, but overall "night and day" is over the top.
Each time I listen to my HD681 (AKG velour pads), I just cannot believe they cost... 25 Euros... Pure craziness.
Don't believe Tyll... He just hates bright headphones...
biggrin.gif
The razor blades drama is a joke.

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #6,335 of 9,602
I just pulled the trigger on a Matrix M-Stage HPA-1 with DAC.  I hear the DAC isn't great so I will probably just use the amp right from my computer (SB Omni) for now.  Once the dust settles a bit, I'm going to be looking for a DAC with optical-in to use with it (and Schiit tells me they have one cheaper than the Bifrost coming soon).

I'm very excited to see how it goes!

Zorrofox, any testing done on Amp vs DAC?

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #6,336 of 9,602
Some guy with M50's that I tried today said "They sound like crap straight out of a phone.. also FLAC sounds so much better than MP3!" 

Ha. 
Little does he know how many head time my headphones get and how many times I've tried to tell the difference between flac and MP3 320. When I told him take a flac file, convert it to 320kbps he just turned around covered his ears. Now I'll just keep using my Q's and try to hear that big difference. 

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #6,337 of 9,602
  Some guy with M50's that I tried today said "They sound like crap straight out of a phone.. also FLAC sounds so much better than MP3!"

Ha.
Little does he know how many head time my headphones get and how many times I've tried to tell the difference between flac and MP3 320. When I told him take a flac file, convert it to 320kbps he just turned around covered his ears. Now I'll just keep using my Q's and try to hear that big difference.

I can definitely hear the difference between 320 and 192 (it's pretty obvious when you're using V0 files).  I don't know that I can tell the difference between FLAC and 320 yet...

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #6,338 of 9,602

I can definitely hear the difference between 320 and 192 (it's pretty obvious when you're using V0 files).  I don't know that I can tell the difference between FLAC and 320 yet...

Same here. I'm talking about 320 though. 

Apr 3, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #6,341 of 9,602
Until I saw this...!

http://www.amazon.com/Bat-Adult-Onesie-Sleepsuit-Homewear/dp/B00IH41B5E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1396554855&sr=8-4&keywords=Fortunecat

No man lol, bat onesie.... vampires up at night

And actually the pad I was thinking of was this, for some reason I got the sellers mixed up. Although I believe fortunecat sells it as well (at least at one point):
http://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Headband-Replacement-Protector-Logitech/dp/B00IRC1JPI/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1396563251&sr=1-22&keywords=headphone+headband+cushion

There's another pic with that wrap on a Q701 but I can't find it atm.

Apr 3, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #6,342 of 9,602

Same here. I'm talking about 320 though. 

I don't want to start a huge debate about 320 vs flac, because I convert all my music to AAC Q1.0 at 400kbps from flac.

Although what I've read from other people saying is that flac can push out better soundstage than 320 in well recorded tracks... I honestly can't tell a solid difference....

Apr 3, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #6,344 of 9,602
I just pulled the trigger on a Matrix M-Stage HPA-1 with DAC.  I hear the DAC isn't great so I will probably just use the amp right from my computer (SB Omni) for now.  Once the dust settles a bit, I'm going to be looking for a DAC with optical-in to use with it (and Schiit tells me they have one cheaper than the Bifrost coming soon).

I'm very excited to see how it goes!

Zorrofox, any testing done on Amp vs DAC?

I'll have a comparison up tomorrow morning (my tomorrow).

Because there really isn't a difference between FLAC and 320. At least in my opinion.

What? The difference is massive! I'd say night & day.

Maybe you should it might changed your mind...

Far too fragile for me I'm afraid.

No man lol, bat onesie.... vampires up at night

And actually the pad I was thinking of was this, for some reason I got the sellers mixed up. Although I believe fortunecat sells it as well (at least at one point):
http://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Headband-Replacement-Protector-Logitech/dp/B00IRC1JPI/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1396563251&sr=1-22&keywords=headphone+headband+cushion

There's another pic with that wrap on a Q701 but I can't find it atm.

I still don't understand the bat **** (see what I did there?).

I don't want to start a huge debate about 320 vs flac, because I convert all my music to AAC Q1.0 at 400kbps from flac.

Although what I've read from other people saying is that flac can push out better soundstage than 320 in well recorded tracks... I honestly can't tell a solid difference....

You are clearly deaf. The difference is vast! I'd say night & day.

I just reversed the mod and i'm loving it with my new tube(6AS7)the soundstage is even bigger.

What? You'll have to shout from way over there!

Apr 3, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #6,345 of 9,602
Sorry to hear that the amp is too fragile for you.
Before i decide to used 6AS7 i did asked the amp manufacturer if this amp is capable of handling 2.5A tubes they said no it never designed to handle that much current it will damaged the amp if i used that type of TUBES but then again IMO these amp is not that expensive so i went ahead and tried the tube(6AS7)and it's sounded a lot better with this tube.You are right this amp is FRAGILE it just handled 2.5A tube that it never designed for it.No offence this is just my opinion.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back