Q701 impressions thread
Sep 9, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #3,601 of 9,602
Just curious here.......just looking for opinions:
Would you mind explaining the difference in sound (as you hear it) between the Little Dot 1+ and your STX card?
thx, C

With my black cube amp it sounds 100x times better than my stx. But yea if you dont wanna spend loads of money it actually sounds really good when just using the stx amp. And the dac in the stx is super good.

Just recieved my little dot mkiii so I will go home and compare it later :)))

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #3,602 of 9,602
With my black cube amp it sounds 100x times better than my stx. But yea if you dont wanna spend loads of money it actually sounds really good when just using the stx amp. And the dac in the stx is super good.

Just recieved my little dot mkiii so I will go home and compare it later
smily_headphones1.gif
))

Is the Black Cube the Lehmann amp?

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #3,603 of 9,602
Yea well its a diy copy of it, but still amazing sound. But after some listening with it and q701 you get a beeping noise in ur head. But I got the ld mk3 now :) The sound is really good aswell, a bit softer and warmer but still quite good detailed sound. I guess I wont be hearing the beeping noise with the little dot :)

One thing I dont understand, is why people say q701 lack in bass? Its amazingly good bass. Its perfect!

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #3,604 of 9,602
  Yea well its a diy copy of it, but still amazing sound. But after some listening with it and q701 you get a beeping noise in ur head. But I got the ld mk3 now :) The sound is really good aswell, a bit softer and warmer but still quite good detailed sound. I guess I wont be hearing the beeping noise with the little dot :)

One thing I dont understand, is why people say q701 lack in bass? Its amazingly good bass. Its perfect!

The bass on my Q701 was a lot better than what I was expecting based on some comments. I find it pretty good, tight and deep, but it doesn't have the midbass impact of something like my HE-400. Depending on what you listen to though, this might not be an issue. I definitely prefer the HE-400 for bass heavy electronic music. 

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #3,605 of 9,602
A nice 3db bass boost from 100hz and down along with an amp with plenty of power makes these pretty much perfect. This is how I listen to mine. I once again prefer these over my modded t50rp.

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #3,606 of 9,602

I'm a fan of the nuanced bass on the Q701, never complained about it. Some people just like a little bit boomy bass

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #3,607 of 9,602
I'm a fan of the nuanced bass on the Q701, never complained about it. Some people just like a little bit boomy bass

Bass is a guilty pleasure of mine. Yes it's a natural part of music, but excessive amounts of it make music boomy and distract me from listening sometimes to the point where I'm just waiting for the next bass thud. Q701's are more of a purist's headphone, and I'm sure you folks all know that :)

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #3,608 of 9,602

Just recieved my little dot mkiii so I will go home and compare it later
smily_headphones1.gif
))

I'm quite willing to part with the cash, I just want something that will make my experience better that I won't leave me wanting more. Don't get me wrong the STX has plenty of sound, I just want more if possible.

So when it comes to amps for the Q701s, would you guys recommend more of a tube amp such as one or  the black dots/ hifiman EF5 or something solid like the matrix stage m amp.

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #3,609 of 9,602
I'm quite willing to part with the cash, I just want something that will make my experience better that I won't leave me wanting more. Don't get me wrong the STX has plenty of sound, I just want more if possible.

So when it comes to amps for the Q701s, would you guys recommend more of a tube amp such as one or  the black dots/ hifiman EF5 or something solid like the matrix stage m amp.

What I heard, the m stage should be fine. But from my experience is the little dot mkiii wich is a tube amp, I dont get a beeping noise in my head after a while listening to loud music as I like. I get beeping noise after my diy black cube. Altho, the black cube got so much power and a lovely sound, everything becomes so much better with it. But then again my ld mkiii isnt burned in yet since I only listened to it yesterday. But the sound is allready great so I think after they have been playing for some weeks I think will be excellent.

So either way you would be happy since imo q701 works for both tube and non tube. But I think you get a more detailed sound with non tube, but the highs is quite extreme against ur head, wich it isnt in a tube amp. Correct me if im wrong.

If ur not willing to spend much money, the m stage (I just read about it) or ld mkiii would be good, but if you got alot of money you want to get rid of, there are so many too choose from.

A couple I heard should be good is the sennheiser hdvd800, but really pricey, and lehmann makes good amps.

If you are handy, you can make some really good amp yourself, like my dad made my black cube (wich I mention all the time hehe), and we only bought components for like 50-100 euro.

Hope I am helping and not confusing anyone :D

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #3,610 of 9,602
By beeping sound, does it come and go like a song beat or rhythm, like beep beep beep beep, or is one long ringing sound, like beeeeeeeeeeeeep? You may be suffering from some Tinnitus, but I hope not.

As far as tube sound goes, the flavor of it seems to vary pretty greatly depending on which tube you use from my experience, like about as much as using a different brand of headphone, but a good unit can certainly be very detailed. I actually think the decay between notes/detail nuances is shorter in my tube amp with the Sylvania tube than with my FiiO E12 solid state amp, which helps make the detail more distinct (I usually start calling it the "texture" of a note at this point, very addictive from the time you first hear it). There are "good" and "great" tube amps, just as there are "good" and "great" solid state amps. One thing I will say though is it's easier to get solid bass and treble extension with a solid state amp, but really I just enjoy the tube amp a lot more.

I've only tried three tubes so far, but I agree that (so far) the highs feel less extreme/harsh against my head with the tube amp than the solid state. I have 5 tubes that have been sitting in a box, waiting for me to try them, for 8 months.

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #3,611 of 9,602
By beeping sound, does it come and go like a song beat or rhythm, like beep beep beep beep, or is one long ringing sound, like beeeeeeeeeeeeep? You may be suffering from some Tinnitus, but I hope not.

As far as tube sound goes, the flavor of it seems to vary pretty greatly depending on which tube you use from my experience, like about as much as using a different brand of headphone, but a good unit can certainly be very detailed. I actually think the decay between notes/detail nuances is shorter in my tube amp with the Sylvania tube than with my FiiO E12 solid state amp, which helps make the detail more distinct (I usually start calling it the "texture" of a note at this point, very addictive from the time you first hear it). There are "good" and "great" tube amps, just as there are "good" and "great" solid state amps. One thing I will say though is it's easier to get solid bass and treble extension with a solid state amp, but really I just enjoy the tube amp a lot more.

I've only tried three tubes so far, but I agree that (so far) the highs feel less extreme/harsh against my head with the tube amp than the solid state. I have 5 tubes that have been sitting in a box, waiting for me to try them, for 8 months.

Couldnt agree with you more. Nah but the beeping is a long beep I get for probably 5-10 min after I listened to the diy black cube. Its like tinnitus except I dont constantly have it.

But as you said different tubes give different sound, I am using the default ones you get in the ld mkiii. And I think the sound is really great, not far away from the black cube wich is solid state, and its softer against my head. But I guess the sound is more "realistic" than the tube.

But I love both of the amps, they are really great. I guess the real black cube is a tiny bit better than my diy on, eventho dad used really expensive parts.

Btw how is the fiio amps? Have you listened to any high end amps so you can compare them? Im a little bit interested in a portable one.

Sep 10, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #3,612 of 9,602
Couldnt agree with you more. Nah but the beeping is a long beep I get for probably 5-10 min after I listened to the diy black cube. Its like tinnitus except I dont constantly have it.

But as you said different tubes give different sound, I am using the default ones you get in the ld mkiii. And I think the sound is really great, not far away from the black cube wich is solid state, and its softer against my head. But I guess the sound is more "realistic" than the tube.

But I love both of the amps, they are really great. I guess the real black cube is a tiny bit better than my diy on, eventho dad used really expensive parts.

Btw how is the fiio amps? Have you listened to any high end amps so you can compare them? Im a little bit interested in a portable one.

I would think that your Black Cube is very similar to a Matrix M Stage as the M Stage is also a Lehmann Black Cube knock-off.

The FiiO stuff is excellent for the money but the FiiO amps do not sound as good as the Matrix M Stage. You get what you pay for.

The iBasso D12 DAC is better sounding than the FiiO E17, but the D12 costs twice as much........:wink:

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #3,613 of 9,602

I am starting to love my little combo 
atsmile.gif

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #3,615 of 9,602
Kinda just recieved it so im using default tubes ^^ I will stick to these for awhile but I definately want some tips in what tubes that is good or not :))

Does sound improve anything if you change to another tubes, or do you really just change character of the sound? Haven't really had time looking into it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back