Q701 impressions thread
Apr 6, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #2,806 of 9,602
Quote:
I can't hear a difference between my 280s with the E11s and my laptop. In fact, it might be warmer/fuller with the laptop then with the E11s...
Are you sure I need an amp for the Q701s?

Edit: The first of the 2 EQ choices (I believe they're bass boosts?) Makes the sound more full now. This is a definite improvement now, but I don't see it as being an improvement in detail or sound stage or imaging or anything else.

The Q701 is far less sensitive than the HD280 and therefore requires an amp. You will hear a difference, if not in sound quality, in volume. You may need the amp just to get it to a comfortable listening volume.

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #2,807 of 9,602
It was a PITA, first it's $60 for the pad, then you have to squeeze the sides while pulling the top off of the back, but besides being attached to the sides via tabs they are also "clipped" around the metal bars and that needs to be unclipped as well.

Bro, the earpads twist off.

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #2,808 of 9,602
Quote:

The Q701 is far less sensitive than the HD280 and therefore requires an amp. You will hear a difference, if not in sound quality, in volume. You may need the amp just to get it to a comfortable listening volume.

I can plug my Q701 into my iPod or iPad and get decent volume.
Of course the volume is almost maxed out.

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #2,809 of 9,602

Same here. For a while I held out only amping straight from my Recon3D USB (while gaming) and a FiiO E5 (with music, to control volume while using a FiiO LOD cable, because my headphone jack shorts sometimes). I was already enjoying the step-up to the Q701 from my AD700, and I didn't think a new amp would be worth the cost. Eventually though, I noticed that double-amping the Recon3D with my E5 helped cut down on the harshness of some sounds, like the helicopter's machine guns in CoD4. There was another aspect, harder to describe... like a kind of dullness and/or laid back energy. I also noticed the soundstage was less "round" than my AD700 (which are more sensitive), by comparison spacial depth felt a little compressed, so soundstage felt oval or egg-shaped.

I went looking at amps, read the entire Bravo tube amp thread, and came across a suggestion to try a "super simple 6DJ8 amp," which was a Single Ended Triode tube amp. I found that thread, and Head-Fi user Zigis who agreed to build the amp for me (he designed a circuit layout and is currently ramping up to start selling completed amps). The "Rock 'n Glass" amp (solid-state 'n tube hybrid) made a big difference, the soundstage and particularly depth was broadened and much more evenly "round," and music really seems to dig into the micro-textures of my test songs and give them more grunt and emotional urgency. Treble sounds are much less harsh without being less detailed, though I've learned that my former irritation might've been due to odd-ordered harmonic distortion, tubes instead have mostly even-ordered harmonics, which means that what little distortion there is supposedly aligns with musical octaves and doesn't sound out of place... in practice, this is a fun amp and I can listen to music or play games much longer without "listening fatigue." I'm going to jump back from all the harmonics and science stuff though, I've tried my best to understand the info that was thrown at me in the E12 thread, but I am no audio engineer, and though it seems to confirm what I was hearing all I "know" is I'm more pleased than before.

In case you picked up on my reference to the E12, I did indeed see the pre-release thread and thought "Ah, that might be convenient." After a few months I jumped on the chance to pre-order. The E12 isn't as colored nor does it increase sound stage as much as the tube amp, but it does a great job offering a more neutral reference and is great when I unplug from my gaming setups (PC or console) and take my headphones to listen to some immersive or soothing playlists in bed. The bass boost is surprisingly great: it's centered at the lowest lows at 20hz, and starts to roll off back to neutral right around when the Q701's frequency response starts to "roll in." So now, the Q701's have incredibly deep bass extension, but the boost doesn't change the rest of the Q701's frequency response, which I like very much. I find that I can leave the boost on all the time; the bass doesn't become loose and bleed over all the other frequency ranges, but when a song digs deep down into very low atmospheric bass, the combo responds with authority. I do find that I usually only listen with this combo for about an hour before getting mild listening fatigue (good time to take a break anyway), unless I'm gaming and get carried away :wink:

I do also have a home-theater receiver by Yamaha, which I have used a few times and used to use a lot with my AD700 when I lived in an apartment, but space requirements have left it usually boxed up in my mother's basement lately. From what I remember, the experience purely as an amp was largely similar to the E12 without bass boost (and I distinctly remember comparing the use of the Yamaha fed by the analogue out from my Recon3D vs my Xbox connected via HDMI, double amping left the notes and sounds a little "rounder" while the HDMI connection that used the receiver's DAC instead was more crisp, but the virtual surround simulation for my games wasn't as refined, overall I preferred the double amping experience). Take that with a grain of salt; my impressions are stale and the receiver has been boxed up for a few months now, without the space to set it up. Oh, I will come full-circle though, and mention that I was recommended to test the Q701 with this receiver vs my weaker starter amps, and that experiment was part of why I eventually bought the other two amps.

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #2,810 of 9,602
Quote:

I'd rather have that then it having to be real low. To get a decent volume on my speakers, it has to be near max on my laptop. I have to turn it way way down to listen to the 280s (about 18% volume).

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #2,811 of 9,602
I've just replaced the E9 in my E7+E9 combo with a Lyr (came with GE 6BQ7A tubes). From what I heard so far, the dynamics are much improved - the sound is fuller and has more depth to it. I find there is more detail in the highs and overall the presentation is warmer. It sounds more musical than it did with the E9, that I am sure of. These changes may be attributed to the differences in output impedance (Lyr is at 2 Ohms, E9 at 10). I've yet to do an A/B comparison with the E9 directly. I'm quite pleased with the results so far and I expect it only to get better as the amp and the tubes burn in (15 hours in). So yea, the Lyr sounds great with the Qs - it was designed for low impedance/low sens cans after all.

Edit: The reason I went with the Lyr, as I said, is its ability to drive low sens cans. It has great reviews together with the LCD-2 (which needs twice the power of Qs -> 90 dB) that I might one day get. It also sounds excellent with my Ultrasone Pro 900 (needs half the power of the Qs -> 96dB).

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #2,812 of 9,602
By the way, I know some of you guys are using portable amps to power your Qs. I use the E7 together with the Pro 900s when I'm out and about via the LOD on the iPhone. The 900s are known for their extreme brightness and I can never experience this with the E7 alone. However, when I plug them into the E9 they show themselves. My point is that the Pro 900s are more efficient (40 Ohm / 96 dB/mW) than the Qs (62 Ohm / 93 dB/mW) and the E7 cannot drive the 900s to their full potential even at mid-volume. Therefore the E7 is definitely not enough for the Qs.

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #2,813 of 9,602
Quote:
I've just replaced the E9 in my E7+E9 combo with a Lyr (came with GE 6BQ7A tubes). From what I heard so far, the dynamics are much improved - the sound is fuller and has more depth to it. I find there is more detail in the highs and overall the presentation is warmer. It sounds more musical than it did with the E9, that I am sure of. These changes may be attributed to the differences in output impedance (Lyr is at 2 Ohms, E9 at 10). I've yet to do an A/B comparison with the E9 directly. I'm quite pleased with the results so far and I expect it only to get better as the amp and the tubes burn in (15 hours in). So yea, the Lyr sounds great with the Qs - it was designed for low impedance/low sens cans after all.

Edit: The reason I went with the Lyr, as I said, is its ability to drive low sens cans. It has great reviews together with the LCD-2 (which needs twice the power of Qs -> 90 dB) that I might one day get. It also sounds excellent with my Ultrasone Pro 900 (needs half the power of the Qs -> 96dB).

Most likely because its a tube amp, and just a more high quality amp.

Apr 6, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #2,815 of 9,602
Hey, it's just my story/ experience. And I hear ya about pandora... 192 kbps is bearable, but once you hear high bit-rate files you know you could be enjoying and getting more out of it.

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #2,816 of 9,602
For anyone curious about DACs and the Q701's, I finally got around to purchasing a Schiit Modi. It's paired with a Magni. My source is a Macbook Air.

Pretty huge difference between the computer's built-in DAC and this one. Bass is much more present and everything else has much more space. Sustained notes like on synthesizers or organs feel very solid. Basically it's been an upgrade to everything that I liked about the Q701's originally, plus some added bass.

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #2,817 of 9,602
Quote:
For anyone curious about DACs and the Q701's, I finally got around to purchasing a Schiit Modi. It's paired with a Magni. My source is a Macbook Air.

Pretty huge difference between the computer's built-in DAC and this one. Bass is much more present and everything else has much more space. Sustained notes like on synthesizers or organs feel very solid. Basically it's been an upgrade to everything that I liked about the Q701's originally, plus some added bass.

Good to know.  I plug mine into a Marantz AV7005 (great DACs and a headphone amp built in -- did not know it when I bought it, as it is otherwise only a pre/pro, not a receiver) or a set of B&W MM-1's (DAC, only, connected to an iMac, which seems to produce just enough juice).  Happy listening!

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #2,818 of 9,602
Quote:

I like the Modi too and it's a perfect match for the Q701 and my HD-650. Doesn't sound bad with anything.
I don't have tons of experience with desktop DACs, but I think it sounds better than the ODAC and HRT MSII. I had a Nuforce Icon Mobile before, but that thing is pretty bad.

Strangely I prefer the DAC inside my Ipod 3G (the monochrome version) to every DAC i've had. It's smoother sounding than the Modi, but that could mean it's just less revealing or more colored. Not sure. I wish I could find a computer DAC that sounded identical to my old Ipod 3G. The DAC in that uses an older Wolfson chipset and is slightly warm in comparison to the ODAC and Modi. It's not as warm as the HRT MSII though. The DAC in my Ipod Touch 2G isn't that good and too cold sounding.

I might have to try the E17 out sometime. That uses a Wolfson DAC chipset and might be what I'm looking for. There's also an Audio-GD DAC that uses dual Wolfson DACs too.

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #2,819 of 9,602
Quote:

I like the Modi too and it's a perfect match for the Q701 and my HD-650. Doesn't sound bad with anything.
I don't have tons of experience with desktop DACs, but I think it sounds better than the ODAC and HRT MSII. I had a Nuforce Icon Mobile before, but that thing is pretty bad.

Strangely I prefer the DAC inside my Ipod 3G (the monochrome version) to every DAC i've had. It's smoother sounding than the Modi, but that could mean it's just less revealing or more colored. Not sure. I wish I could find a computer DAC that sounded identical to my old Ipod 3G. The DAC in that uses an older Wolfson chipset and is slightly warm in comparison to the ODAC and Modi. It's not as warm as the HRT MSII though. The DAC in my Ipod Touch 2G isn't that good and too cold sounding.

I might have to try the E17 out sometime. That uses a Wolfson DAC chipset and might be what I'm looking for. There's also an Audio-GD DAC that uses dual Wolfson DACs too.

The E17 is what I use right now and I like it a lot. 

In the past I've owned the big $850 HeadRoom desktop amp/DAC. It's the only other DAC or headphone amp that I've had and I'd say that it's obviously technically better than the E17, but I am perfectly happy with my E17. I had the HD650 and said HeadRoom amp/DAC, but due to monetary issues I had to sell them off to pay some bills. A few months later when I was financially stable again I had to have a good full size headphone once again, so I figured I'd try the Q701 and the little E17. I've now had the Q701 and the E17 since October. I'm sure it's mostly the headphones fault, but I prefer this Q701 and E17 combo to the HD650 and HeadRoom amp/DAC. 

I also have been playing with a Fostex T50rp lately. The way I currently have them tuned they sound alot like the way I remember the HD650 sounding, but with better bass extension, and maybe slightly more bass overall. Same great mids, and same smooth gently rolled off treble. Anyway, they also sound great with the E17.  

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #2,820 of 9,602
The E17 is what I use right now and I like it a lot. 

In the past I've owned the big $850 HeadRoom desktop amp/DAC. It's the only other DAC or headphone amp that I've had and I'd say that it's obviously technically better than the E17, but I am perfectly happy with my E17. I had the HD650 and said HeadRoom amp/DAC, but due to monetary issues I had to sell them off to pay some bills. A few months later when I was financially stable again I had to have a good full size headphone once again, so I figured I'd try the Q701 and the little E17. I've now had the Q701 and the E17 since October. I'm sure it's mostly the headphones fault, but I prefer this Q701 and E17 combo to the HD650 and HeadRoom amp/DAC. 

I also have been playing with a Fostex T50rp lately. The way I currently have them tuned they sound alot like the way I remember the HD650 sounding, but with better bass extension, and maybe slightly more bass overall. Same great mids, and same smooth gently rolled off treble. Anyway, they also sound great with the E17.  

I started with the E17, my first DAC. Now, the Gamma2, and never think about going back :)

This hobby is a money pit. Especially since I will never be able to sell my K340, K240 Sextett, or Q701. Since they are so awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back