Q701 impressions thread
Mar 27, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #2,762 of 9,602
I'm excited, I'm finally going to hear my friend's Q701's today and see how they compare to my headphones. I picked up a pair of K550's recently, and based on that I expect good things from the Q's.

I'm excited by your avatar!

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #2,763 of 9,602
Lol did you notice there's a girl between the headphones?
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #2,764 of 9,602
Quote:
Lol did you notice there's a girl between the headphones?
biggrin.gif

I was going to say something snarky, but no, it's a beautiful combination.

I look forward to your impressions on the Q's. I had a guy offer to let me audition a pair of DT880s, but we haven't met up yet. He only lives 15 minutes away.

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #2,765 of 9,602
Has anyone heard a closed headphone that's really close in sound signature to the Q701?
Obviously it'd have a little less treble and a bit fuller sounding.

Any ideas? Please don't say the K550 because I didn't think they're even close. Didn't really care for the K550 at all.

I want to find another closed headphone that has really good upper mids and a decent amount of treble. Something with neutral bass.

Didn't think the SRH-940 was all that similar either...

I imagine the A900X is absolutely nothing like the Q701. I read some impressions of thin mids and stopped being interested in it.

I want a headphone that's ultra comfortable, closed and sort of a mix of my Q701 and DJ100
normal_smile .gif

Sometime I should try the K271, but I wish it was easier to drive..

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #2,766 of 9,602
Quote:
Has anyone heard a closed headphone that's really close in sound signature to the Q701?
Obviously it'd have a little less treble and a bit fuller sounding.

Any ideas? Please don't say the K550 because I didn't think they're even close. Didn't really care for the K550 at all.

I want to find another closed headphone that has really good upper mids and a decent amount of treble. Something with neutral bass.

Didn't think the SRH-940 was all that similar either...

I imagine the A900X is absolutely nothing like the Q701. I read some impressions of thin mids and stopped being interested in it.

I want a headphone that's ultra comfortable, closed and sort of a mix of my Q701 and DJ100
normal_smile .gif

Sometime I should try the K271, but I wish it was easier to drive..

Grab a Fostex T50RP and mod away. The way mine currently are modded they sound just a tad bassier with slightly better bass extension, have really lush and smooth mids and a gently rolled off treble. Kind of like a sealed HD650. I have 2 pen tip sized holes venting them on the back side so they still isolate really well. 

I still need to figure out how to make them bassier from about 125hz and lower, without making them sound warmer at the same time. 

I still prefer my Q701 over them though. But the T50rp are a good sealed alternative since they can be modded to sound pretty much however you want them to sound. I'm kind of surprised you haven't tried one yet. In stock form they are nothing special, but they are easy to mod, and easy to make sound good.

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #2,767 of 9,602
Quote:

Grab a Fostex T50RP and mod away. The way mine currently are modded they sound just a tad bassier with slightly better bass extension, have really lush and smooth mids and a gently rolled off treble. Kind of like a sealed HD650. I have 2 pen tip sized holes venting them on the back side so they still isolate really well. 

I still need to figure out how to make them bassier from about 125hz and lower, without making them sound warmer at the same time. 

I still prefer my Q701 over them though. But the T50rp are a good sealed alternative since they can be modded to sound pretty much however you want them to sound. I'm kind of surprised you haven't tried one yet. In stock form they are nothing special, but they are easy to mod, and easy to make sound good.

I've tried them before and it still gives me nightmares. I wasted hours and hours modding them but never got mine to sound good. I think it was a lemon because I clearly remember that out of the box it was causing major ear ringing. I almost never get that from a headphone unless it has very forward lower mids. I should have returned it after I nearly destroyed my pair
biggrin.gif
J/k I'd never do that, but I'd love to see their reaction!

Luckily this was back when you could score a pair for $75.

Lately i've kind of missed the old SRH-840, but that thing is painfully uncomfortable for me but I do have some SRH-940 pads.

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #2,768 of 9,602
Damn, my friend apparently left his Q701's in LA, so I'll have to hear them another time. He was impressed with the HD650's, though. He told me he found the DT880's to be muddier than the Q701's when he demoed them, but that's with both unamped. No idea how they would compare with amping.

Mar 28, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #2,769 of 9,602
Quote:
Lately i've kind of missed the old SRH-840, but that thing is painfully uncomfortable for me but I do have some SRH-940 pads.

Was actually wondering if the SRH840 might be a little closer to Q701 sound.  Been a while since I had my 840's - they're currently the only cans I'm actually thinking about rebuying.  Personally I always found their pleather pads very comfortable.  If they would only take that slab of rubber out of the headband ....... they'd be lighter, more comfortable, and mold to your head better.  SRH840 with SRH1840 headband - that might be a winner!

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #2,770 of 9,602
Damn, my friend apparently left his Q701's in LA, so I'll have to hear them another time. He was impressed with the HD650's, though. He told me he found the DT880's to be muddier than the Q701's when he demoed them, but that's with both unamped. No idea how they would compare with amping.

The DT880 may sound bland with a lower quality amp, and I've heard them sound outstanding thru an excellent headphone amp.

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #2,773 of 9,602
Is there a Hifiman headphone that has the forward upper mids and treble of the Q701?
The graphs of the HE-400 on Headroom scare me. Now I don't trust graphs, but it looks like they have fairly recessed upper mids.
I absolutely HATE recessed sounding female vocals though..

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #2,775 of 9,602

I heard the DT880 our of both the Valhalla and the Little Dot MKiii. They sounded OK. They were a little too muddy, and they lacked treble IMHO. When I used the Q701 on these, the impedence mismatch caused severe bass distortion and it went out of control, so couldn't really compare on the same amp. I really wanted to like a beyer, but I just couldn't justify keeping the DT880's.

Side note, I had to sell my DT770's too due to amp requirement for portable use, and I didn't really want to carry a portable amp. Been there, done that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back