Q701 impressions thread
Jan 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #2,417 of 9,602
Anyone want to be my test dummy when they're listening to the Q701?

I noticed when I removed the Q701 inner grill and foam the sound seems actually warmer. Makes no sense right? It seems a tad less clear, but not really. Just different. The difference is easier to detect in very warm recordings. I was listening to some Tony Bennett stuff with a good soundstage.

Don't use metal objects! I used a priority mail tag, tape works too. Just twist it to the left. Remove some of the stickyness with your fingers if needed. Don't use duck tape
biggrin.gif

Some will think I'm nuts, but you can hear the differences when making changes in this area. I'm baffled by how removing the grill makes them sound maybe a tad warmer. I mean so much that it's barely worth pointing out.

Also try it if you're bored with the Q701 grill without the foam.

BTW the Q701 sounds much smoother than the K601 to my ears. The low mids on the K601 are much leaner though, but the K601 has more forward upper mids and low treble though. Q701 is much warmer. If you use Q701 pads on the K601, the K601 is warmer. Weird right? Oh and the Q701 does seem to have better treble extension, but sounds smoother.

Here's something that will really confuse (and annoy) you:

No grill or grill with foam on Q701: Sounds basically the same. Maybe a tad warmer with it removed. Makes no sense!
K601 grill: Everything sounds a bit more distant. Imaging seems worse. Brain fooled. Not as clear. Detail is harder to hear.
Q701 grill with no foam (this has a a dime size area blocked off): My ears aren't this good. Slightly better than K601 grills.
K601 grill with foam: Clearer than stock, but treble is harsher. Not as smooth overall. I actually like this configuration. Easier to spot detail.
Stock: So much smoother than K601 grill with foam. Might sound less clear, but slightly warmer. This sounds perfect.

One idea is to try the Q701 with no grill and just foam over the outside.

NOTE: This all wasn't a joke. Feel free to proclaim i'm hearing things. You might be right!

I'm definitely not a believer that you can turn a K701 into a Q701 and vice versa. My idea is maybe Q701 pads are different than K701 pads. Doubt it.

BTW up next i'll compare the sound quality differences of my collection of 200 headphone plug adapters. Each will get a one week analysis (including burn in) and a 10 paragraph review and picture.

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #2,418 of 9,602
Quote:
New member of the Q701 club here, and within 10 minutes, I'm loving 'em! Everything that people mentioned that made me hesitant to the 70x's seems rather overblown. I thought that they might be way too bright, or the sound stage would be too big for intimate music. However, both the high end and soundstage are exactly what I was looking for! I'm driving them with an Asgard, which I know tdockweiler mentioned was not his fave, but sounds fantastic to me. Anyway, I dig 'em a lot so far.

Also, these a lot more versatile genre wise than I would have thought. Listening to some house music right now, it lacks a little bass (no biggie for me). With the huge soundstage though, it makes it feel like I'm in a club.

You don't happen to have a portable amp paired with this do you? If you do, how well does it do with the frequency response of your Q701's?

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #2,422 of 9,602
Quote:

If I have my volume at 100% in Windows the Q701 only needs to be at around 20-25% or so on the Magni (using ODAC). I'll double check this tonight, but it's VERY low.
Sometimes I just reduce the volume control in Windows, but I can't really notice any differences in sound quality.

For some reason my K601 is the only headphone I have that needs to be up around 40% or so.

On the E9 I believe the Q701 is at around 30-35%.

The Magni does have a ton of gain. I always say that i'll be shocked if anything exists that needs to be at past 75%. I know volume doesn't always mean much..

BTW using the DJ100 with the volume in windows at 100% is kind of scary! I don't think it needs to be past 10%. Totally overkill for the DJ100 which is 38 ohm.

On my Micro Amp my Q701 is always at 45% on medium gain. This is basically like low gain on most amps, but on the Micro, low is really only useful for IEMs.
Not that anyone asked! High would be at about the same level as the Magni.

I've never heard any noise or hiss with any headphone other than my DJ100. On my DJ100 (38ohm) I heard some hiss/noise, but it was due to a crappy cable with poor shielding!
I got it from Guitar Center and it's one of those generic brands. I then tried a Monoprice, RCA and metal shielded GE Ultra Pro cable and it was dead silent! This was the actual cable going to the headphone though.
Someone said the Monoprice cables don't have shielding, but I think this is impossible! Mogami has very good shielding too.

I get some weird bass distortion/crackling with my Magni when using thin cables. I don't have a clue why. It's now even occurring with my new Monoprice cables (the thinner versions). Only on one headphone though. Makes no sense.
When I switch amps it's gone.

Oh yeah, if anyone was curious..the Magni drives the 600 ohm Sextett with ease. Sounds good too.

So if you were to chose one of the Magni, E9, or Headroom Microamp for Q701, which one would it be? Regardless of price, how would you rate them in terms of sound quality and how well they work with the AKG's?  I'm looking for a small amp like that which I could carry around with me. Not portable, just a small desktop one.

And by the way, how effective is crossfeed on the Headroom Micro?

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #2,425 of 9,602
Quote:

So if you were to chose one of the Magni, E9, or Headroom Microamp for Q701, which one would it be? Regardless of price, how would you rate them in terms of sound quality and how well they work with the AKG's?  I'm looking for a small amp like that which I could carry around with me. Not portable, just a small desktop one.

And by the way, how effective is crossfeed on the Headroom Micro?

I haven't had a ton of amps, but my favorite is the Headroom Micro. It was my upgrade from the Asgard and I expected to return it, but ended up keeping it and selling the Asgard. It's a bit pricey compared to the Asgard (it's $350), O2 and Magni, but it's been worth it for me. My first reaction was that it was overpriced and all plastic, but it's 100% not plastic. Metal with rubber "bumpers". I was sad when I first unboxed it because it was so tiny and I said "There's no way this could drive a Q701!"
biggrin.gif

I've found it to be very transparent, but not "cold and analytical". It plays equally well with all headphones.

It's especially good with every AKG i've had including the K400,501, 601 and Q701. I hated the K400 with it, but it turns out it was due to the HRT MSII DAC!

BTW the Micro Amp is as powerful as any desktop amp, but does have an external brick power supply. I just upgraded to the Astrodyne power supply which is much smaller. It also improves the sound of the Q701 a bit (hard to believe, I know).

I don't use Crossfeed at all usually. It does make everything sound smoother and improves imaging, but it seems to add slight warmth to the sound. The improvements in imaging are especially noticeable when using the Q701 or gaming.

There's really not a massive difference between the Magni and Micro. The Micro does sound much better with the Q701 though and it's much smoother. The bass is a bit better too.

Not sure why I got the Magni, but it's been interesting comparing it to the Micro. I use the Magni mostly for gaming and for when I work downstairs.

Oh yeah, ODAC sounds great with the Micro too! The Micro is very revealing of what's connected to it (just like the Magni).

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #2,426 of 9,602
When I turn my head from one side to another, I get loss of audio in one ear or the other or static. Anyone experience this before or have a solution. I tried the two cables included with the set and they both have this issue.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #2,427 of 9,602
Yeah, you need to open up ur cans, and resolver the XLR housing most likely. It is most likely that one of the wires has a loose solder, and when turned, the xlr housing pulls away from it.:mad:

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #2,428 of 9,602
Quote:
To me, Q701 has a larger soundstage. With Q701, Locations of instruments in a music are easier to identify. 

Quote:

Its considerably bigger on 701, and more open feeling.

Thank you guys for the response, grabbed it.
It is in my inventory now. 

Looking for Amp to drive this headphone.

You guys think Graham Slee Solo SRG II will be a good pairing with Q701? 

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #2,429 of 9,602
I just got my q701s in the mail yesterday. I noticed they were too sibilant when I demoed them. Its a little off putting, but for me it is a win win. I bought them as a second reference for mastering since they resembled the sound signature of my paradigm studio reference 80s startlingly well. They too, have a tendency to be a bit spitty/overly sibilant. I WANT that. Why? here's the key: not on all recordings. If I dial my top end so it juuuust sits under that sharp sound of the studio 80s tweeter, and I assume with my q701s, I know I have a perfect reference for my 7-8kHz range. An extremely crucial range, IMO.

I say win/win because if breaking them in mellows them a bit, well, that's good too. :wink:

But I am curious...does a break in period chill out the treble spike, in anyone's experience? Should I be blasting pink noise for a week before I start getting used to them?

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #2,430 of 9,602
Quote:
I just got my q701s in the mail yesterday. I noticed they were too sibilant when I demoed them. Its a little off putting, but for me it is a win win. I bought them as a second reference for mastering since they resembled the sound signature of my paradigm studio reference 80s startlingly well. They too, have a tendency to be a bit spitty/overly sibilant. I WANT that. Why? here's the key: not on all recordings. If I dial my top end so it juuuust sits under that sharp sound of the studio 80s tweeter, and I assume with my q701s, I know I have a perfect reference for my 7-8kHz range. An extremely crucial range, IMO.

I say win/win because if breaking them in mellows them a bit, well, that's good too.
wink.gif

But I am curious...does a break in period chill out the treble spike, in anyone's experience? Should I be blasting pink noise for a week before I start getting used to them?

The first 2 hours these were the worst headphones in my collection due to severe coloration. The Q701 needs break in, the sibilance will go away, the frequency response will flatten out, transparency will increase, and the midrange will become less forward and sweeter. The sound changes by the hour for about the first 10 hours, then day by day up to about 80 hours of burn in when they finally arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back