Q701 impressions thread
Nov 6, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #1,981 of 9,602
My primary amp for them is Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear and if the record quality is decent, they are good, more even with high quality, simply wonderfull. Through my Cary they are at almost the same level, having a little differ coloration, but I cant say mids or highs are better / smother, most probably depends on tube amp and tubes you using. Also, Cary have much more difficult time to drive them with enough power, cos his current much lower than from Graham, but if you listen to the high quality records, it have enough juice as well.
They are on their 160 hours and still have enough to go. For burn in I am using a very cheap CD player/radio that hanging on the wall of my kitchen and to my surprise, this CD player have very good headphone output quality and Q701 are having much more fun through it, but again, depends on what you are looking for and I believe if you give them warmish source, they will sound that way to.

THX
Quote:
Has anyone tried these with an amp that has a really high output impedance?
People claim over and over that anything above say 5 ohm will make them sound awful.

I have them connected to my old Technics receiver from 93 with a 330 ohm output impedance and they sound just like they should
confused_face_2.gif

Even my DJ100 which is 30ohm and portable is fine with it. My KRKs are ruined though. I guess it depends on the headphone.

The Q701 from this receiver is a tad thinner than from my E9 and Micro though, but sounds fairly good.

Right now it's ODAC to receiver. Somehow the soundstage does seem a lot larger somehow.

I got this receiver from a thrift store and it's in perfect shape. That may be a good way for some to find a cheap way to drive a Q701.
It doesn't always work that well.

This receiver does sound a lot better with my HD-600 though.

I really wonder what a Q701 sounds like with a tube amp or even a hybrid tube amp. My guess is a lot fuller mids and even smoother treble. Never tried a tube amp before.
Maybe when I get more money I'll buy the Bottlehead Crack and get an HD-650.
eek.gif

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #1,982 of 9,602
The Q701's on both my balanced M^3 and my B22 sound superb.  Very detailed and transparent with out any harsh treble or highs.  There seem to be more bass response when on the M^3 but non the less the bass is tight and accurate on both,  I've had the Q701's sense Decmber 2011 and they got better over the year.

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #1,984 of 9,602
Quote:
I think I'm getting too used to the Q's - I think I need to buy some **** cans just so I can listen to some awful sound - so that I can once again appreciate the Q's!

Wouldn't even need to compare with crappy headphones. Put the Qs next to something like the Sennheiser HD598. I still prefer the Qs. They're similar graphically but I fell in love with the AKG sound and the Senny sound just felt kinda boring to me.

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #1,985 of 9,602
Had a HD598 for about a year and thought (and still do) they are fantastic headphones, but the Q701...mannnn
they are SUCH an immersive experience. It's been a month now and i can't get over how unreal these are. 
Feels like the more i listen, the better they sound...blooming constantly along with my music library :)
I would like to give my thanks to tdockweiler. I found his posts, comparisons and reviews VERY helpfull during my 
search for an upgrade.

Nov 7, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #1,986 of 9,602
I think maybe I or someone else should do a really good A/B comparison review of the HD-598 vs the Q701. They're both similar and price and both not too dramatically different. I used to keep saying the HD-598 is a bit fuller sounding in the mids, but now I don't think this is really true. Maybe. This is even with a neutral amp/dac.

I think about 2 months ago I got the urge to compare the 598 to the Q701 further, but lost interest since I like them both a lot. I think the HD-598 MIGHT be easier for more people to like.

I think the Q701 is slightly clearer and more detailed (not due to treble). A little less forgiving of bad tracks. I also think it's more accurate to how the recording is supposed to sound. HD-598 is, but not as much.

To my ears the Q701 has more treble (still smooth treble unless it's a bad recording) and more forward upper mids.

The HD-598 has forward mids to me, but on the Q701 they often sound just as forward. The old K702 issue with distant vocals is a thing of the past for me. Otherwise I would have kept my K501.

Bass quantity is about the same I think.I should check this.

My HD-598 is recabled with Mogami, so it's hardly a fair review. I'd much rather review it stock, but that's impossible.

When I don't want to be bother as much with my harsh/bad tracks, i'll use my HD-598. It seems to smooth over them very slightly somehow. On the Q701 they're listenable, but a few can be painful (some of Utada Hikaru's stuff is awfully harsh).

Some say the HD-598's soundstage is the best thing ever, but I don't know about that. The Q701's seems a bit larger, but actually more accurate. It's never massive or anything. I just know that the 598's imaging was pretty bad compared to even the K601. Then again I found the Q701 to have very slightly worse imaging than the K601. I think it's due to the pads and a few other things. I think the K601 has the best imaging of any headphone I own.

I posted this earlier, but I bet the Q701 with Canare and a PS1 (warm sounding) would sound pretty close to identical to the HD-598. I actually like the Q701 has the perfect amount of warmth. The K702 has a touch of warmth and it's barely noticeable until you compare it to say the DT-880. The Q701 I have is much warmer and fuller sounding obviously. Feels like a slightly more musical K702. Kind of maybe a mix of the Sennheiser HD-580 and K702. Weird, I know.

BTW if anyone wants to make the Q701 even warmer, try making a DIY Canare cable. Some may think it's a downgrade from stock cable, but it makes the Q701 even smoother sounding. Seems to take a very slight edge off the treble (which it didn't really need!). I'm using L-4E5C and it only costs less than $1 per foot. Too bad the Mini-XLRs are $7 each or so. Next week I want to make one with Mogami since I like that a bit more. Cable is cable, but there are some minor differences. Mostly when it comes to how warm/bright a headphone will be. Probably due to capacitance. The Q701 should be best with a high capacitance wire like Canare or Mogami.

I had an ALO SXC fancy pants cable for it once, but it made the soundstage too huge and the sound was much thinner. A tiny bit clearer. Mids were not as full sounding. Using Cat6 would give you the same result I think. Or silver. SXC seems better for an HD-650. SXC is silver plated copper. The stock AKG cable is actually very good unlike the stock Sennheiser cables.

I actually think Canare makes the Q701 almost TOO warm. Sennheiser fans may prefer this, but not me. It makes it a lot smoother, so that's a huge plus for me sometimes.

To sound even more dumb to the science guys, Monoprice interconnect cables are really good for the Q701. No joke
biggrin.gif
They actually are up there with the Mogami ones I made for dirt cheap.

BTW my Q701 has moved up on my favorites list ever since switching to the ODAC (from HRT MSII). It didn't actually make it any less musical or any of that nonsense. Both DACs are good though. I'm just happy that my DAC now sounds amazing with all my other headphones.

Nov 7, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #1,987 of 9,602
Nice write up [size=18.18181800842285px]tdockweiler[/size]..

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #1,989 of 9,602
Quote:
I love my AD700; should I buy the Q701 as an upgrade?

Do you have an amp? If so, then yes! The bare minimum is probably a Fiio E11, but I personally wouldn't buy one without at least an E9 or similar. The O2 will be OK.
I bet O2 + ODAC would be pefect for the Q701.

Most likely you will have more bass, fuller sounding mids, smoother treble. Similar amounts of detail perhaps.
I don't know if the soundstage is larger on the AD700, but I think so. I have the AD700, but rarely use it.

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #1,990 of 9,602
I also find the E17 to be plenty as well. I'm getting into the mid 80's in terms of db's on medium gain with the volume around 28-30 out of 60. So i'm not even using half of this amps full power and it's already pushing my Q701's into the mid 80's, which is quite acceptable. I know it's not all about power and volume, but the E17 has plenty of power and is a quality amp and DAC. I have zero complaints about this setup. It really does sound great.

It is more detailed than my old HD650 and HeadRoom desktop amp/dac was, which also cost 3 times as much. I am actually happier with this much less expensive setup. I think the E17 is plenty for the Q701. If you buy this combo and think it's not enough, you can add the E09k for another $100 or so. I'm willing to bet most people would be happy with the Q701 + E17 if they heard it and gave it a chance. 

My current setup:       My old setup:
Q701 - $240               HD650                         - $400
E17    - $140               HeadRoom amp/DAC  - $850
Total  - $380               Total                            - $1,250 

Quote:

Do you have an amp? If so, then yes! The bare minimum is probably a Fiio E11, but I personally wouldn't buy one without at least an E9 or similar. The O2 will be OK.
I bet O2 + ODAC would be pefect for the Q701.

Most likely you will have more bass, fuller sounding mids, smoother treble. Similar amounts of detail perhaps.
I don't know if the soundstage is larger on the AD700, but I think so. I have the AD700, but rarely use it.

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #1,991 of 9,602
Okay, thanks for the amp information.

How does the comfort compare to that of the AD700?  I wear my AD700 for many consecutive hours and barely notice its presence on my head.  Also, I can still carry on conversations with other people while wearing the AD700.  Does the Q701 allow for free conversation while it is being worn?

Perry

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #1,992 of 9,602
Most think the Q701 is comfortable, some have an issue with the bumps on the leather headband. I wear mine for 3+ hours at a time quite often and I find them quite comfortable. The clamping force is pretty low, and the velour pads are soft so they wont make your ears sweat or itch.

They have zero isolation, you will hear everything around you since they are open. 
Quote:
Okay, thanks for the amp information.

How does the comfort compare to that of the AD700?  I wear my AD700 for many consecutive hours and barely notice its presence on my head.  Also, I can still carry on conversations with other people while wearing the AD700.  Does the Q701 allow for free conversation while it is being worn?

Perry

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #1,993 of 9,602
you are making me regret my decision on buying the hd650's.... LOL  I own the q701's right now Im looking for a complement I was going to try out the hd650's then if  I didn't like them upgrade to the he-500
Quote:
I also find the E17 to be plenty as well. I'm getting into the mid 80's in terms of db's on medium gain with the volume around 28-30 out of 60. So i'm not even using half of this amps full power and it's already pushing my Q701's into the mid 80's, which is quite acceptable. I know it's not all about power and volume, but the E17 has plenty of power and is a quality amp and DAC. I have zero complaints about this setup. It really does sound great.

It is more detailed than my old HD650 and HeadRoom desktop amp/dac was, which also cost 3 times as much. I am actually happier with this much less expensive setup. I think the E17 is plenty for the Q701. If you buy this combo and think it's not enough, you can add the E09k for another $100 or so. I'm willing to bet most people would be happy with the Q701 + E17 if they heard it and gave it a chance. 

My current setup:       My old setup:
Q701 - $240               HD650                         - $400
E17    - $140               HeadRoom amp/DAC  - $850
Total  - $380               Total                            - $1,250 

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #1,994 of 9,602
Quote:
They have zero isolation, you will hear everything around you since they are open. 

Compared to his AD700s, they actually have more isolation but still not much at all.  AD700s are more open then the Q701s though.

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #1,995 of 9,602
It's all subjective. I mean, I loved my HD650's when I had them. It's just my tastes have changed and now I am just as happy with my current setup, which just so happens to cost a lot less.

I used to love the lush, warm, and laid back sound of the HD650's. I used to think I was allergic to bright headphones, because I guess I thought that all bright headphones were harsh and sibilant. Now I like a more neutral and analytical sound. I have become a detail junkie. I also listen to my music at lower volumes now so a brighter headphone doesn't seem so harsh anymore. I enjoy a neutral sound so much now that I use my GR01 and Q701 even for electronic music. 
Quote:
you are making me regret my decision on buying the hd650's.... LOL  I own the q701's right now Im looking for a complement I was going to try out the hd650's then if  I didn't like them upgrade to the he-500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back