Q701 impressions thread
Oct 30, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #1,936 of 9,602
Quote:
I can't hear the differences between the different filters on my Q701 (NFB 15.1)

It should be said that I have no clue what I should be listening after anyways...

More choice you have more confusing it can be 
redface.gif

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #1,938 of 9,602
Quote:
For who have compared different DACs , do you bothered doing some level matching ? They don't have a line out output exactly at 2.0v some a bit less , some a bit more => result audio level is not exactly the same , and at hear some times it's not noticeable . 

Just to remember , before doing level matching all dacs sounded different , ODAC , Pioneer DVD Player (PCM1754+OPA4580 inside) , A-GD NFB-2 /17.2 .

(The Audio-GDs have different filters some roll of highs , and graphs show it , i had the impression that it indeed had a slight impact on sound but peraphs placebo  , but i just used a filter that didn't roll of for a better comparison) . 

Well level matching : (playing a Constant Tone , ajusting volume digitaly) ( a cheap decibel meter help) and done . = All sounded the Same ...  So if you don't do level matching it will obviously sound different , but in other hand , it don't mean that all DACs will sound the same after level matching . In only tryed some , and motherboard line out from Desktop or laptop computer sounded clearly inferior to the other DACs . Some line out are very close to 2.0 so yeah your impression could be correct and not biased . 

But if no level matching there is always a doubt ^^ . And yes we all hear differently so if i don't hear difference  itdon't mean that you can't hear it too 
tongue.gif

Furthemore all my head amps sounded different ... but at this time for now i lost faith in DACs , peraphs i should try some other , even expensive one , but if it's to be disapointed , i guess i better to save money and play with phones and amps 
biggrin.gif

I was aware of the different output levels before I started listening: the E10 is 1.6, the ODAC is 2.0, the HRT is 2.25.  I'm aware that slight differences in the volume can give the perception of sounding different.  I don't have a meter to match them although I still try to roughly adjust them before I listen.

With that said, I can still hear how the HRT soundstage presentation is different from the other two, regardless of the levels.  The E10 and ODAC do sound pretty much the same so far.

Oct 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #1,939 of 9,602
Quote:

I was aware of the different output levels before I started listening: the E10 is 1.6, the ODAC is 2.0, the HRT is 2.25.  I'm aware that slight differences in the volume can give the perception of sounding different.  I don't have a meter to match them although I still try to roughly adjust them before I listen.

With that said, I can still hear how the HRT soundstage presentation is different from the other two, regardless of the levels.  The E10 and ODAC do sound pretty much the same so far.

Well without level matching i would say that NFB-2 had the larger soundstage and a bit distant , DVD pioneer the more upfront and smaller . ODAC something beetween the two . So my perception of soundstage was affected by no level matching 
wink.gif
, but again it don't mean that HRT have really a different soundstage . And well different was not so obvious for the DAC i used , peraphs HRT has really a more upfront prononced soundstage . 

But sorry i will always be a bit doubtfull if things are not done with right protocole , but well the main propose of this hobby is to have fun so ...

Oct 30, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #1,940 of 9,602
Quote:

Well without level matching i would say that NFB-2 had the larger soundstage and a bit distant , DVD pioneer the more upfront and smaller . ODAC something beetween the two . So my perception of soundstage was affected by no level matching 
wink.gif
, but again it don't mean that HRT have really a different soundstage . And well different was not so obvious for the DAC i used , peraphs HRT has really a more upfront prononced soundstage . 

But sorry i will always be a bit doubtfull if things are not done with right protocole , but well the main propose of this hobby is to have fun so ...

Ya, the difference is in how the HRT pans the left and right.  It's hard to describe, but on specific sections of certain songs it becomes easier to pick out where the E10 and ODAC I can't distinguish on the same section.

Like skip to 4:26 in this song, Benares (Varanaci edit) by Hol Baumann, when it starts the big electronic pans and sweeps you can spot the HRT panning harder left and right there where the other DACs pan more in front of you.

It's a really cool section to listen to on the Q701s because of the crazy panning happening in the soundstage! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #1,941 of 9,602
With more and more of my music listening happening on headphones these days I decided it was time to grab a more suitable set of cans.  My old HD280s are fine for short listening sessions and do great for checking the stereo separation on my recordings they aren't really the best for extended listening sessions and tend to get quite hot.
I was originally leaning towards another pair of Seinheisers or perhaps some Denon AHD2000's but at $200 less than the other options  the Q701s seemed like a good candidate.  
I gleaned a lot of data from Head-Fi and decided to make the plunge.
They arrived yesterday and I instantly hooked them up to start the burn in process.   

They only have about 12 hours of run time on them so full burn-in is still a long ways off but even out of the box I find the sound very pleasing overall.  I've been wearing them for almost 3 hours this morning with no fatigue and zero discomfort so definite high marks there.

I also spent about an hour jamming on the guitar through them (using S-Gear virtual guitar amp) and they sound absolutely brilliant in that situation.  Great mid-range presence and smooth highs.

Like many others I do feel that the Bass is a bit on the low-side but its nothing that can't be compensated for with a bit of EQ.

Of course a proper headphone amp might help some in that regards so that will be my next acquisition.  I'm currently leaning towards the Bellari HA540 since I happen to have a variety of 12ax7 tubes lying around(along with 12AU7s and 12AT7s).

Happy to be among the many Q701 users out there.

NewToys6.jpg

-Kit

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #1,942 of 9,602
Quote:

Ya, the difference is in how the HRT pans the left and right.  It's hard to describe, but on specific sections of certain songs it becomes easier to pick out where the E10 and ODAC I can't distinguish on the same section.

Like skip to 4:26 in this song, Benares (Varanaci edit) by Hol Baumann, when it starts the big electronic pans and sweeps you can spot the HRT panning harder left and right there where the other DACs pan more in front of you.

It's a really cool section to listen to on the Q701s because of the crazy panning happening in the soundstage! 
biggrin.gif

It has been my general experience that WASAPI makes a noticable difference on stuff like this, at least on my configuration it really broadens the soundstage and makes stuff sound less in-front

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #1,943 of 9,602
Quote:

It has been my general experience that WASAPI makes a noticable difference on stuff like this, at least on my configuration it really broadens the soundstage and makes stuff sound less in-front

I already use WASAPI.  Not sure if I've heard any differences with it, but it's good to use anyways instead of throwing everything into the shared windows stream.

Quote:
They only have about 12 hours of run time on them so full burn-in is still a long ways off...

12 hours = burn in achieved
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #1,946 of 9,602
A while back tdock said that the E10 (What I currently use for an amp and DAC) drives the Q701 pretty well, so I've been holding off on buying an amp for my Q701s, just sticking with the E10.

My question is if getting an amp (desktop or portable) that has more power than the E10 would be worth it, or if these cans don't really scale up much more. And by scaling up more, I don't mean "It may have a slightly different signature" I'm looking for at least a noticeable change. I don't see any point in spending 150$ if it's just going to be placebo or barely noticeable, I might as well spend that 150 on better headphones at that point.

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #1,947 of 9,602
Quote:
A while back tdock said that the E10 (What I currently use for an amp and DAC) drives the Q701 pretty well, so I've been holding off on buying an amp for my Q701s, just sticking with the E10.

My question is if getting an amp (desktop or portable) that has more power than the E10 would be worth it, or if these cans don't really scale up much more. And by scaling up more, I don't mean "It may have a slightly different signature" I'm looking for at least a noticeable change. I don't see any point in spending 150$ if it's just going to be placebo or barely noticeable, I might as well spend that 150 on better headphones at that point.

I know what you mean about upgrading and finding the difference wasn't worth it or could be attributed to placebo.  I've had that happen.  But Yes, switching from the E10 to a desktop amp is actually noticeable.  You will notice the soundstage get bigger and the dynamics and separation will be a bit better.  

I got my Q701 first, and then a while later I got the E10.  A while after that I got the E9.  Each one was an improvement.  It's after that point the improvements slowed down, and you start to get diminishing returns.

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #1,948 of 9,602
Quote:

I know what you mean about upgrading and finding the difference wasn't worth it or could be attributed to placebo.  I've had that happen.  But Yes, switching from the E10 to a desktop amp is actually noticeable.  You will notice the soundstage get bigger and the dynamics and separation will be a bit better.  

I got my Q701 first, and then a while later I got the E10.  A while after that I got the E9.  Each one was an improvement.  It's after that point the improvements slowed down, and you start to get diminishing returns.

So If I were to go for a better amp, should I go for an o2, which was the one I was looking at, or some other desktop amp around 100-150? The only real problem that I have with the Q701s is that they don't sound full enough on a lot of more piano and vocal oriented music. I'm just worried that the o2 might make the 701s sound a bit thin. I always end up leaving the bass boost switch on my E10 on because it boosts 500hz down exponentially, so it adds some warmth without screwing with the clarity or detail much.

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #1,949 of 9,602
Quote:
So If I were to go for a better amp, should I go for an o2, which was the one I was looking at, or some other desktop amp around 100-150? The only real problem that I have with the Q701s is that they don't sound full enough on a lot of more piano and vocal oriented music. I'm just worried that the o2 might make the 701s sound a bit thin. I always end up leaving the bass boost switch on my E10 on because it boosts 500hz down exponentially, so it adds some warmth without screwing with the clarity or detail much.

O2 is probably fine.  I've read some people complaining about it being thin, but I don't know how much of that is credible (I haven't heard it myself).  The E9 is also very slightly dry/thin neutral though as well. 

I think most solid state amps sound fairly similar.  I've never tried tube amps, but there are a couple cheap ones.

A desktop amp could possibly sound cleaner and thinner than the E10.  The E10 compared to a desktop amp is slightly muddier and the bass boost is also a little muddy. 

You can always EQ them a bit...

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #1,950 of 9,602
I got my E17 and Q701 today. I like the combo a lot. The sound is exceptional. They are not really bass light as some seem to think. I am using the +2db setting on the E17, but if no bass boost was available i would still be able to tolerate the sound. At this point after only about an hour, im not even sure if ill continue to use the +2db bass boost. 

Using the E17 on high gain, aux in with my iPhone 4 with an LOD im only listening in the 24-30 range out of 60. So there is plenty of power. The sound seems great to me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back